Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Floras: There's a New Sheriff in Town

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 16, 17 1:00 pm    Floras: There's a New Sheriff in Town Reply with quote

I for one welcome our new campground overloads. Gone are the days of self-absorbed folks reserving sites for the whole Summer and only being there occasionally. Starting yesterday, CCs are required to reserve camp sites. Not sure the cancellation policy, but anything is better than how it was. Full campground Wi-Fi (which was welcomed as it was a rainy, south wind, stay inside kinda day yesyerday). Heads up, the new camp host was telling me there were several sites just lined out on the calendar for the Summer, with no phone numbers or other contact info. If you think you have a reservation, I'd rec you call and confirm your reservation or you might be bummed when you arrive.

Report: Juntober in full swing. However, weather improving and wind should switch to the North tomorrow. Lake the highest I've seen it.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 16, 17 1:59 pm     Reply with quote

thanks for the report!
How is the lake for foiling? if I remember it's plenty deep - just be careful around the shoreline.
Do the weeds cause problems for foils?

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 16, 17 2:16 pm     Reply with quote

You bet. I've seen foilers out there before. More in front of Will's shop, and not so much along the northern shore. Lake is like a swimming pool. North end is shallow (I assume from sand blowing in over the past 1k years) and it gets deeper as you go south. Kids SUPd all over today and no real weed issues anywhere. Sun starting to burn through and and real calm now. Might be time to some wakeboarding runs (kiteboards and Waverunner) for giggles.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 16, 17 6:25 pm     Reply with quote

Hey does that apply to motorhome sites only? I am assuming the tent camp sites are still first come first served.
How goes the battle ? Our you up and riding or shuttling the kids on the jet ski? Very Happy

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 16, 17 8:32 pm     Reply with quote

Not sure J. Certainly applies to RV spots. Best call the new hosts. Hopefully when the wind comes I can actually progress and avoid inverting..every...single...f'n...time. I just suck. Sailboarding was so much easier (perhaps because I was nearly 30 years younger when I took that up). It's just gotta happen, damnit.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 19, 17 11:24 am     Reply with quote

Did I mention $5 growler fills at the Market? Bring Advil.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 19, 17 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

You still there? Were leaving Wednesday after work. Be there Thursday morning. Forecast looks good.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 19, 17 12:43 pm     Reply with quote

Heading home 1st thing Wed, damnit. Don't forget your growlers!

taycar

Since 11 Jan 2010
110 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostTue Jun 20, 17 9:11 am     Reply with quote

There are some rules that need to be worked out and finalized. For example, enforce the existing 14 day maximum and for reservations, enact cancel charges equal to 50% of length of stay regardless of situation.

Oh, the good old days when Floras lake was first come first serve, miss those opportunities and exciting weekends. I met so many people there just down for the week enjoying life. Last year when we visited the vast majority were long term stays where they just didn't have the same "get stoked, I'm on vacation" vibe.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 22, 17 11:44 am     Reply with quote

taycar wrote:
There are some rules that need to be worked out and finalized. For example, enforce the existing 14 day maximum and for reservations, enact cancel charges equal to 50% of length of stay regardless of situation.

Oh, the good old days when Floras lake was first come first serve, miss those opportunities and exciting weekends. I met so many people there just down for the week enjoying life. Last year when we visited the vast majority were long term stays where they just didn't have the same "get stoked, I'm on vacation" vibe.

Yea, we were down twice last year. There was a few long-termers, but not too many (not counting that gal down on her luck with the broke down Ford (she was there all Summer). I got to know (re-know actually), one person that was down there for the whole Summer. He was full-on grooving the vibe. The other main long term couple I don't really know, having met them several times, but never really to any worthy extent. They were always friendly though. Then there's the couple that have some sort of local storage situation worked out. They are just plain unfriendly and not worth the breath to say "hello" to (all you get is a grunt in return anyway...if you're lucky). Seemed most were just there for a week or so. This time, none of the long-termers were there. However, the grunt couple were there for a couple days and they did not disappoint (must suck going through life so unhappy). I do agree that enforcing the 14 day max is the better practice. Allows more people to enjoy the place and gives Will more opportunity to support the center. Another plug for Will, Reed, etc. Those folks are just fantastic. Always with a smile and I think they are truly glad to see you. A bazillion folks must go through there each season, but they always remember our names. They epitomize the Floras vibe, in my opinion.

Anyway, we hit it wrong this Spring. On the whole, colder and wetter than past trips. Raining the first couple of days. Not enough umph to fly my kids' 9m (their biggest) one day. Finally gave up and pulled him around the lake with my Waverunner so he got in a ride of sorts. A really good 9m kid day on Sunday (kid -he's a buck-thirty at most). Monday would have been okay for the kids, but I was burned up (yea, no burns in Baja, but a day on the water at Floras and I looked like Freddie Kruger -go figure). On Tuesday, it was time to go as I was looking at adults (smaller than me) on 13s. Looked like the big wind was going to return when we got back to work. Such is life. Out of four trips, this was the only one we didn't get good wind. Will likely head back again this Summer if work opens up. Wife doesn't, nor will she ever, kite (tried to tech her how to sailboard in '92 and that didn't work either), but she loves the place. So kinda lucky there (she was planning times we could leave home so as to get in a couple of days there and get back home with minimal work absence).

$5 Growler fills!

ericvs

Since 05 Jul 2008
133 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jun 22, 17 7:51 pm     Reply with quote

How much is a growler fill?

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 22, 17 7:53 pm     Reply with quote

Cheaper than two hot dogs!

K4L

Since 19 Jan 2009
483 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jun 23, 17 2:47 pm     Reply with quote

where do i fill my growler?
Might pay for the trip 🤣☺

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 23, 17 2:50 pm     Reply with quote

Langlois Market.

K4L

Since 19 Jan 2009
483 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jun 23, 17 2:55 pm     Reply with quote

Weekday ate you wearing Kool Aid?????
That cannot be a dry suit

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 23, 17 2:58 pm     Reply with quote

Take an aspirin quick!!!

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 26, 17 9:09 am     Reply with quote

K4L wrote:
Weekday ate you wearing Kool Aid?????
That cannot be a dry suit

I think you're asking what I was wearing. Those are camp chair bags over my bare legs. Freakin' cold. Eventually I wised up and put on sweats.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: