Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

self rescue thoughts/questions
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mtjustice100

Since 14 Jun 2014
49 Posts

PostSun Jun 18, 17 1:39 pm     Reply with quote

I have had many a self rescues go wrong and many go right. There are some tricks and I've pulled many off in really overpowered conditions.

• do not let your lines dangle you will get tangled and chances are that center line will pull right out of your hand if the kite gets any power. This is how people die.
Always wrap them up.
• I pull my release and wind he center line up about 10 times if possible END OVER END. It's tricky, but take your time and don't let your lines slack. Pull In the center line as you wrap it.
• now take all of your lines (above the bar, as the center line should be wrapped from below the bar because you pulled your release) wrap all of the lines around your bar the other way. Around your bar the opposite way you would do it in the beach. It's like your reeling up a fishing line sorta. It takes a long time but the lines can't slip off of your bar and you can get much more leverage on a wild kite this way. Super tiring but if you have properly rolled up your center line the kite will only be as strong as a whipping kite held only by the center line.
•once you get to the kite tie your lines off and wrap your bridle around your bar, hold that's bar and steer, you'll be at he beach in no time. And miraculous your lines won't be too hard to fix. This is the only way to roll. Practice in lite wind but it works in strong wind.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Jun 18, 17 5:10 pm     Reply with quote

This has been a great thread. Lots of good information.

In general I think there are two schools of thought regarding self rescue. Often people think of self rescue as a process (I know I do), but another factor to consider is your environment.

I think the two primary schools of thought are:

1) Slow and easy - the approach I described earlier.
2) Climb a single line to secure kite as quickly as possible approach.

In my opinion the Slow and Easy approach is a better approach in high winds. Especially if you are by yourself.

However, in lighter winds and especially if you are in a dense kiting environment, the faster approach does have it's merits.

I had to Self Rescue in La Ventana right in front of Baja Joes this february. My chicken loop popped out and shot my bar half way to my kite. When I got to it, it was spaghetti. I didn't want to risk attempting re-launching the kite in fear that the crowds and lack of space could turn into a bad situation if I couldn't figure out the lines before the kite powered up.

As I was self rescuing, my kite was floating up 5 or 10 feet in the air. It was pretty light wind so it wasn't crazy, but still the kite didn't want to sit in the water.

A Beginner unaware of the gravity of the situation (perhaps attempting to get up for their first ride) was on track to cut right through between me and my kite. I was able to talk to this individual and convince them to steer their kite the opposite direction.

In hind-site I had been in that zone probably 5 minutes maybe even 10 as I was slowly winding my lines. This is prime real estate with many beginners in the mix. I think the fast approach of simply securing my kite might have been a better choice for me at that time.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 19, 17 6:46 am     Reply with quote

[quote="bigjohn"]
quote]

Did I miss something? My preferred method is to climb & wrap a single line about 8-10 meters, then start wrapping all lines once you are confident the kite is flagging properly on the shorter wrapped line. This makes for a clean stowage, and to avoid a mess of tangling lines confusing my swim. It sounds like "knotwindy" had an issue with bad flagging? (Rufus kitemare post)

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jun 19, 17 7:07 am     Reply with quote

[quote="wylieflyote"]
bigjohn wrote:

quote]

Did I miss something? My preferred method is to climb & wrap a single line about 8-10 meters, then start wrapping all lines once you are confident the kite is flagging properly on the shorter wrapped line. This makes for a clean stowage, and to avoid a mess of tangling lines confusing my swim. It sounds like "knotwindy" had an issue with bad flagging? (Rufus kitemare post)

Kip, You didn't miss anything. I agree with you. I still plan to use the Slow and Safe method 99% of the time I self rescue.

However, it has been my experience that many kiters I know prefer option 2. I think there are Pro's and Con's to both solutions. I was just attempting to analyze different scenarios where the faster approach might be a better approach.

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostMon Jun 19, 17 10:40 am     Reply with quote

It is always surprising when i talk to people from other spots, who have never self rescued -- maybe once in their lessons, but that's it. This seems to be common in places with jet ski rescue, people get dependent and then complacent.

There's no rescue in my home spots, so self rescue is the only way in. During the learning phase, it seemed like that was the end of pretty much every session, get caught in the wind shadow downwind, and you're swimming. You eventually get good at it, though it's probably not something you brag about. Wink

I use the method of wrapping the flagging line first. I was told that full depower requires a minimum of 1.5x the length of leading edge. Then wrap the other 3. Tie them all off with half hitch when you get to the kite.

In some situations, it is easier to flag the kite out and paddle it in. EG light side on wind, lots of room downwind, on a surfboard. Aim towards shore and a little downwind, just have to be careful to stay out of the lines while paddling. Deal with the lines on the beach.

A note about the learning phase. My kite mentor is in the coast guard and his training regimen for me was focused on simulation, using a 4 line trainer kite. Practice everything with a scaled down version of a big kite, with no danger present, then you are much better prepared for the real deal. This is especially true for learning all safety procedures, including self rescue. Do it on land first. Then in waist deep water. Then in water over your head. I remember being super nervous first time solo on the big kite, but felt confident in having a working knowledge of how the safety mechanisms work and knowing in a bad situation that I can get back to shore unassisted. I tell all newbies that time spent on land working with a trainer kite will pay off big time on the water. (WORKING, not just playing around flying figure 8s!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: