Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Straps / Pads for Booties

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostThu Jun 15, 17 10:21 pm    Straps / Pads for Booties Reply with quote

We have to wear booties all the time around here because our wind is miserable, our water is super cold, and there is typically a lot of walking through spiky shit associated with Colorado / Wyoming survival kiting.

I've finally embraced it.

However, I can't seem to find straps & pads that do well with booties. I had a 2005 or so Spleene Session that had straps & pads that fit booties really well, but haven't used anything since (I ride Shinn now, and they're not great, nor is the SS Dually).

Does anyone have brand / model suggestions for riding with booties 80% of the time? I currently have the O-Neil Psychofreaks, and they're pretty thick, but versatile.

TIA

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jun 16, 17 10:47 am     Reply with quote

I'm a full time bootie wearer and I have had success with:
- Shinn pads
- OR pads
- Slingshot pads

I have found Liquid Force pads not to work well for me with booties though.

Hulk

Since 17 Feb 2017
29 Posts
Portland, OR

PostFri Jun 16, 17 10:57 am     Reply with quote

I'm also a full-time booty-wearer and agree the Dually isn't great. The Bolt-On's (Slingshot) are okay, but my booties are also older and pretty bulky, so I'm looking at a new pair.

Any suggestions?

Matt E.

Since 22 May 2008
318 Posts
West Coast Sales Rep
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 16, 17 12:34 pm     Reply with quote

If you're looking for a simple tight fitting booty, this is the best one I have used: http://www.npsurf.com/products/protective/boots/elite/elite-fireline-latex-split.html#color=C1

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jun 16, 17 1:25 pm     Reply with quote

I wear the xcel drylock 2mm to kite and surf, they are pretty thin and I can really feel the board through them. At 2mm, I stay pretty warm even when surfing. I wear one of the liquid force pad/strap setups, I just loosen up the top velcro strap before i get started and everything is just fine.

Ive also had oneill booties. Oneill makes killer wetsuits, and though their booties were warm, they were super bulky and and the inner sole started to wod up and unglue. Plenty of friends have oneill and love them, so maybe its me or i just had bad luck.

The booties Matt E. suggests look pretty similar to the xcel drylocks, probably also killer

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostFri Jun 16, 17 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

i am also a bootie wearer.

i find that it is a combo the bootie and strap/pad. the bootie still need to allow you to grip with your toes, and have some non-cloth areas for the strap so it just doesn't slide out. I also find a ridge on top of the toes/foretoot that sits just in front of the edge of the strap helps lock in. on the pad, a really agressive toe ridge is needed.

currently using older OR pads. they are fine, comfy, but i could use a sharper toe ridge.

i have been using the Ion plasmas, and have been very happy
http://www.gorgesurfshop.com/bootie/ion-plasma-boots-32

i just got these straps and they are really nice. easy to tighen on the water if needed. lock in really well.
http://www.adventurekiteboarding.com/sp-boarding-raptor-qsr-footstrap/

i am lusting for these but $$$. super nice looking toe ridge and buckles.
http://www.windance.com/Kiteboard/Boots%2C-Straps-%26-Pads/Core-Carved-Pads-%26-Straps-Unio/37508/

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostFri Jun 16, 17 5:08 pm     Reply with quote

It is a good kiting skill to be comfortable wearing booties at times whether riding with straps or strapless. I have found that it is best to go with thin mil booties such as Xcel 3mm round nose (no split toe) work good because they have some smooth skin rubber around the outside of the foot which enables easy entry and exit of the foot strap.

I prefer to ride without booties only if the water is warmer (56 degrees or higher) and there are not rocky or reefy hazards getting in and out of the water. One of my greatest pleasures is walking in warm beach sand when kiting here at the coast, but that is only available in the warmer months of summer when the sun is out. Otherwise, I am in booties and it is just more comfortable the ride when when it is cold or rocky launching and landing.

Can't help to emphasize it is just good sense and a necessary skill to be able to comfortably ride with or without booties.

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostFri Jun 16, 17 6:54 pm     Reply with quote

Slappysan wrote:
I'm a full time bootie wearer and I have had success with:
- Shinn pads
- OR pads
- Slingshot pads

I have found Liquid Force pads not to work well for me with booties though.

Which Shinn pads are good with booties? I have a set of the white flat ones and the slightly contoured cushy black ones with the garbage adjustment strap (sneaker 2's maybe?)

Also, my psychofreaks have a strap on the top in a not-ideal spot. Maybe you're right that I should perhaps look at diff booties.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jun 16, 17 10:57 pm     Reply with quote

proletariat wrote:

Which Shinn pads are good with booties?

Also, my psychofreaks have a strap on the top in a not-ideal spot. Maybe you're right that I should perhaps look at diff booties.

I've used the original Sneaker's and currently still use Sneaker 2's.

I wear 7 mm xcel drylock round toe all winter and 5 mm xcel infinity split toe most of the summer. I also have 1 mm inifinity reef booty for when it's really warm but don't like them very much.

All 3 of those booties have a cinch strap, the key is to just loosen it way off for when you are riding straps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: