Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ding repair or fiberglass supply

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 14, 17 7:57 am    Ding repair or fiberglass supply Reply with quote

My Tyrant needs some glass repair. I lost it in the current Wednesday and it was recovered by a local fisherman Friday night. He heard it bumping around in the rocks at the hatchery. Thanks for returning my board, Tim!

Rubbing up against the rocks for a few days has resulted in several rail repairs and a deck puncture. I bought a little ding repair kit, but it's looking like I have a bigger job than the supplies will handle. And a few more items would be handy.

I've done plenty of this kind of work, but no longer have all the supplies.
My favorite fiberglass supply place down in Bingen is long gone.

Resin, mek, Q cells, clothe, surfacing agent: is there anyplace out here in the gorge that sells this stuff? I go into Portland each week, so I could hit a store in town. Should I just order up online?

Or, should I decide to punt, who does repairs around here?

Thanks!

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Jun 14, 17 9:59 am     Reply with quote

From what you described you might be using the wrong resin verse epoxy. I do not know the make of up of the Tyrant. My Slingshot boards are epoxy.

You should look into Cascade Fiberglass (Husem) http://www.cascadeperformancefiberglass.com/contact.html
Just call the number for the Husem Location for Gary Swanson.

You also might try http://www.openocean.com/index.html in Lyle. Brian does good repairs.

Fiberglass Supply would have all the materials you need to repair it. Do not forget safety equipment while doing repair. Many of the origin gorge board builders had to get out of the business due to epoxy toxicity. Some people are more sensitive than others. I was the original web site builder for Fiberglass Supply, I got to hear all the stories.

If you do not mind a using the board as test repair board, you could learn a lot .

Anthony

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 14, 17 11:06 am     Reply with quote

Thanks! I cleaned up some of the repair areas, looks like polyester to me. It's at least three or four years old. But it was in like new condition. The bamboo and black. I'll look into the construction.

I might go all redneck on it and use stuff from the auto supply. All the rail areas are black, and I'm thinking about painting them, and the fins, a bright color after the repairs are water tight. The black and bamboo doesn't show up that well.

After a few tacks chasing this thing up wind, I lost sight of it. Usually, it would flip right side up on a crest, and the white pad was easy to spot. Plus, it would drift downwind. This time it stuck straps down, pointed into the wind, and took off with the current. There was a bunch of us riding near the bridge, but suddenly I'm all alone. Nobody within hailing range.

It was a long drag back downwind after I wore myself out chasing it. Cold too.

I think I'd rather gear up for ding repair over hiring it out. Mostly, I'm cheap. But also because ding repairs are just part of the game. I've got all the tools, and all the safety stuff, and a space to work. I've done plenty of repairs, even built a board or three. Simple, if you have the supplies.

There's a couple places online I can order from, but they charge extra for shipping the flammable material.

I'm off to check out what Napa has in stock.

Meantime, whilst I gather supplies, I should bite the bullet and get my foil on. Let the current settle back down a bit.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 14, 17 11:15 am     Reply with quote

The tyrant has EPS core, will melt when it touches polyester resin, because "S" means "styrene"
Use epoxy.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 14, 17 12:39 pm     Reply with quote

My best guess is: it's a 2011 Tyrant. It's 6'-1". Track system for the straps.
WVX future response technology. The reviews say it's the shizzle for everything.

I bought it second hand a couple years ago in new condition, rode it last summer and this spring. It's a little on the big side, but I like it. Goes upwind like a banshee.

I opened up the dings,(there are five sizable holes the need filling, a few minor blemishes. It was in the rock tumbler for at least 48 hours). Not much dampness, but I'll let it sit for a few days now that the dings are prepped for filler.

Good news is most of the damage is way forward. And I got my board back!

It is in fact, an EPS blank. Thanks for the heads up!

I'll need expoxy resin, filler material and some clothe. My epoxy ding repair kit will do for the small stuff.

I'm curious to see what my local Napa has on hand.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostWed Jun 14, 17 3:14 pm     Reply with quote

narrowly escaped that one.....would've been quite the meltdown....Anthony and bwd got some pints comin their way I'd imagine! Save up your $, and get Gary to shape you a custom board, sounds like that one's done!

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostWed Jun 14, 17 6:19 pm     Reply with quote

Napa usually has tubes of 5 minute epoxy. These work for wetting glass but without any type of lightweight filler you are not going to save any weight if you have big holes to fill. I would get some nice west system pumps and a variety of s glass and lightweight fillers, I use aerosil and thicksil. Thiksil is heavier and doesn't sag when filling holes from the top. Both are pretty hard to sand. I do ding repair for a living and west system epoxy is just easy to use even though it is not cheap.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 14, 17 7:11 pm     Reply with quote

I'm trying a System Three product called "Sculpt Wood" for a filler. I found it at Tum a Lum. If it works, it'll be pretty cool for a filler in non color sensitive areas.

Basically, it's a two part epoxy, both the resin and hardener are full of filler. Scoop out equal measures, and with your latex gloves, kneed the two parts (white and tan) into a consistent light tan color. It's slightly exothermic, you'll feel it get warm in your hand. You now have 15 minutes to stuff, sculpt, and mold.

It doesn't sag, or run. I stuffed it into holes in both rails and the deck and smoothed it into shape for sanding. Not unlike bondo in consistency. So far so good.

Down side, is that unlike bondo, or other polyester products, you can't really speed up the kick. It says four hours at 75 degrees.

If it works, I'll shape it, laminate with my epoxy glass repair kit, and it'll be water tight.

I'm going to paint the rails a bright, day glow orange, since the black rails would need paint anyway. Maybe do the fins as well. Make this thing easier to see.

I found large pieces of fiberglass clothe at both Napa and Ace Hardware. A little on the heavy side, but good enough for a rail repair.

I'm hoping to find some West systems in town to keep on hand.

I found the ding repair kits at Windance and Gorge Surf shop. My mistake was looking at Slingshot Screamer in the consignment area.

This one has plenty of miles left on it, and I'm learning to jump, so it's worth messing around with the repair.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostWed Jun 14, 17 11:56 pm     Reply with quote

Sculpt wood will work but is pretty heavy by comparison to any epoxy. I have repaired a few old koa doors that had been fixed with that stuff. It had only been a few years but the wood had rotted right around it because it had no overlap. I took it to the shop and grinded all of it out and was left with a 4x4" hole that needed to be replaced. I glued a chunk of koa on with west system 205 mixed with sawdust then coated the whole surface with 207 and koa sawdust. Feathered it out with an orbital and recoated the door with penofin. Not really related to fixing a board but is a testimony proving that it is always good to have some epoxy around.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 15, 17 9:56 am     Reply with quote

The Wood Sculpt went off eventually, this morning it was ready for sculpting. Sanded easily, easier than Bondo. Considering the lack of supply choices, I'm happy.
It was a nice find.

I'm going to try adding a little heat with my work light and see if that speeds the cure time. It's kind of cool today out in the garage.

A little laminating, sanding, and paint, and the Tyrant is back!

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Jun 17, 17 2:58 pm    Tap Plastics NE 28th and Sandy blvd Reply with quote

Went by Tap Plastics after working a job in town today. Everything you could need for repair work.

I picked up a quart of epoxy resin, hardener, some clothe and cabosil filler.

Everything for polyester repair too.

Open on Saturdays.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: