Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Bend Kiters
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostThu Jun 08, 17 7:42 pm     Reply with quote

Dude where do you go for your wind report? I live in Bend and would be nice to kite without having to drive up to the hood and camp at Tucker. I lived on Big Island and chasing wind gets old though.

dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostFri Jun 09, 17 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

Mrlaroo wrote:
Dude where do you go for your wind report? I live in Bend and would be nice to kite without having to drive up to the hood and camp at Tucker. I lived on Big Island and chasing wind gets old though.

There is no exact science with timing at Wickiup.
http://wx.ikitesurf.com/spot/6042
Generally, i use iKitesurf to get the idea for the overall 3-5 day wind forecast, and direction being more important than forecasted wind speeds. It needs to be NW to W. air temps should be above 60 to be comfortable kiting at 4,000 feet elevation. In the late summer/fall, you get the daily NW mountain winds, so it is less of an issue.

A big factor is the water level. I check here for that:
https://www.usbr.gov/pn/hydromet/destea.html

it needs to be below ~88% in order to have shoreline to launch. Right now we're at 75%, so the southern shore has good launch. After it dips below ~60-65%, the beach becomes exposed by the east boat ramp with lots of room to launch. If you look back at OC's picture with all the stumps, that is the very north end of the beach. I launch further south away from all of that.

My recent picture is from the southeast section of the lake. which dries up completely below 60% water level, so that launch is only available in spring.

The funny thing with Bend kiters is inability to coordinate. Nobody will commit to a carpool because you don't want to be responsible if it's a no-go and you get skunked. so more often than not I end up kiting alone with the bald eagles. and generally speaking, I'm gone with the fam all summer and usually don't go back to kiting it until Sept and Oct, which actually when I've had the most success and water levels are low. either way, ANYBODY send me a PM if you're thinking of going to Wickiup. Looks like next Wed, Thu or Fri it could go.

dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostFri Jun 09, 17 12:54 pm    Wickiup east boat ramp beach Reply with quote

Some pictures of the boat ramp beach later in August and September. despite the fact there are no stumps in these pictures, the pumice sand/dirt isn't clean of things that will poke holes in your kite, i.e. glass, fishing hooks, sharp lava rocks. all part of the kiteboarding experience out here...

September
 September  20140908_190302.jpg 
September
 September  20140908_190607.jpg 
the beach in August
 the beach in August  20150814_160512.jpg 
boat ramp is lower left in the pic
 boat ramp is lower left in the pic  20150814_160550.jpg 

tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostMon Jun 12, 17 8:46 am     Reply with quote

I may try to get out there today. Is there any beach these days?

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostTue Oct 08, 19 5:28 pm     Reply with quote

Wickiup comes through today!

k4.jpg 
   k2.jpg 
   k3.jpg 

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostTue Oct 08, 19 5:58 pm     Reply with quote

Pic 1 looks like a nasty ass down draft full of lovely gustiness out there. Nice mellow steady 40’s coming to rooster rock this week:-)

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostTue Oct 08, 19 6:12 pm     Reply with quote

Justsmile wrote:
Pic 1 looks like a nasty ass down draft full of lovely gustiness out there. Nice mellow steady 40’s coming to rooster rock this week:-)

The reservoir is only at 10% capacity so there was a lot of dust flying around from the lake bed. The wind was more consistent then any day I got in the gorge this summer.

KOF

Since 30 Mar 2011
51 Posts
Seattle

PostSat Oct 12, 19 8:29 pm     Reply with quote

Yo MrLaroo hit me up next time you hit the res. I’ve been riding Odell a bunch this season but quit on wickiup a month ago. Good to know there is still enough water to kite there

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostSat Oct 12, 19 9:51 pm     Reply with quote

KOF wrote:
Yo MrLaroo hit me up next time you hit the res. I’ve been riding Odell a bunch this season but quit on wickiup a month ago. Good to know there is still enough water to kite there

Sent PM

KOF

Since 30 Mar 2011
51 Posts
Seattle

PostThu Oct 17, 19 7:25 am     Reply with quote

Good kiting with you Mack. And good to know Wickiup works on S winds above 15.

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Oct 17, 19 7:43 am     Reply with quote

Good to see Wickiup getting some love! Don’t forget about Crescent Lake on the southerlies as well since you still have good water levels and a massive north beach this time of year. Limiting factor will be the cold temps. Cheers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: