Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Liquid Force MaxFlow Valve Pop?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jun 06, 17 11:36 pm    Liquid Force MaxFlow Valve Pop? Reply with quote

Was having a nice afternoon on the water today when I messed up a transition and tomahawked my kite in to the water, not too hard or anything. When I got it back in the air it quickly deflated in to a jellyfish and I had to rescue. It was a LF Solo and the centre strut held.

I got the back to shore and pumped it up and it seemed fine, held air for 15 minutes at 9 PSI. Couldn't hear any leaks.

I had to fully deflate the kite during rescue so I didn't get a chance to check the valve. I don't screw on my outer valve very tight though and it was still attached when I was packing up in the water. The old school valve didn't pop either.

So I'm not sure how the kite so rapidly lost pressure, I'm thinking the tomahawk forced the inner flap through the hole and the air leaked out through the loosely screwed on outer cap. Trouble is I don't think it could lose pressure that fast.

I wiggled the one-pump hose a bit because some of my old kite have cracked one-pump hoses or valves that hold air at a certain angle but will leak if you bend it. Didn't hear any leak.

Anyone have any suggestions or seen this happen before?

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 07, 17 7:06 am     Reply with quote

i have v1 solos. had the same thing happen after a hard tomahawk with 9m. Has been fine since.

Solos seem to have a few peculiarities to accompany their strong points.

Sorry i dont have a definitive answer for you

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostWed Jun 07, 17 9:13 am     Reply with quote

I have had my LF kite with Max-Flow valve loose pressure after a hard hit on the water. Mine only burped out a few psi but the kite did barley fly afterwards. I rode back to shore and re-inflated it. I let it sit for about an hour and it held pressure just fine. I do screw my outer cap on fairly tight and that might be what saved me a swim in.
They way I look at it, the Max-Flow valve "burp" is like a safety valve. When a kite hits the water that hard, something has to give. It's either a "burp" of the valve or a busted leading edge. I'll take a "burp" every now and then over an expensive kite repair.
I don't crash my kites all that often but when I do, it's because I messed up something. I love my kites and am super stoked that they hold up to the elements and abuse they do. In the future, tighten your cap a little more and perhaps you won't have to swim in.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 07, 17 9:50 am     Reply with quote

I got in the habit of not tightening the cap because in the winter with cold hands after my session I couldn't get the damn thing open.

Glad to hear that the bladder is still probably in tact.

FreerideWhiteSalmon

Since 17 May 2012
64 Posts

CGKA Member

PostThu Jun 08, 17 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

I've got a Solo v2 and a quiver of WOW's. I've not had this problem and have crashed the Solov2 a number of times learning to foil, but I can see how it could happen with a really good tomahawk. I also screw my cap down tightly and haven't had an issue - it seems to me if you do that the only thing that could give would have to be the bladder itself.

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jun 09, 17 7:47 am     Reply with quote

I had this same thing happen to me once when I was learning and crashing the kite a lot. Since then, I've made sure to screw the cap on a little tighter and I've never had it happen again. Love my Solos!
- Bob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: