Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

What about Bingen? Anybody used this site?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 06, 17 4:55 pm    What about Bingen? Anybody used this site? Reply with quote

Once in a blue moon, I've seen kites out at Bingen.

It used to be a fairly well used windsurfing spot. (There's even a windsurfing memorial, the "Speed Rock"). Huge, irrigated, grass lawn. Shade and trees that shelter the grassy areas. Tons of free parking. A huge expanse of river out front. Often times, it's windy there when it's not blowing in Hood River. All legal and accessible.

And a free boat ramp and some dock space. Easy to put a jet ski in the water.

Okay, there's the rock island at the downwind side of the flat water, it gets a bumper crop of millfoil weed later in the summer, and there's trees along the top of the bank, and shrubs all along the bank...and the next nice escape is Mosier over in OR. Oh, and nets during fishing season.

A downwinder to Mosier or even Lyle would be a great run.

So, as launches go, is it really that much more difficult than Stevenson, wunderbar, or Rowena?

And if we gave it a thorough assessment, and identified hazards that might be removed, or improvements that might be implemented, could we present a plan to the port of
Klickitat? CGKA? Any intel?

It will never be as beginner friendly as the sand bar, but it could handle a good size crowd. If we get it figured out, it could be a viable spot. Even with high water.

Maybe we could bring back the "Speed Check". All it entailed was sailing fast at a radar gun. But it was a fun event. Maybe we could put some new numbers up on the "speed rock". With foils Cool

And the Mexican place in Bingen has new owners. The food is good. El Raconcita is still there doing awesome burritos, and there's a new place opening up. Chips is a classic gorge dive bar.

Anybody have any experience with launching at Bingen?

With almost everything else underwater, and the event site rented out for the weekend, maybe it's time we figured out how to make Bingen work.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 06, 17 5:48 pm     Reply with quote

I used this launch 30 years ago for windsurfing and 10years ago for kiting. Some pylons you need to dodge, gusty wind, no waves just chop...... but beggars can't be choosers. This weekend will be a goat rope, hang on!

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostTue Jun 06, 17 6:51 pm     Reply with quote

I used to kite there all the time.Drift launch by myself and land in the leeward wind shadow towards the boat ramp. It is alright but unless the wind is the perfect direction the wind is usually really holey and gusty. Also the chop can be really bad and the swell is usually nonexistent. No one kites there for a reason, it's not that good.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jun 06, 17 9:46 pm     Reply with quote

Ditto on above comments. I used to windsurf and kite there years ago. You are correct, like any place on the Columbia, there are moments when it may be the only place blowing. And frankly the only reason I would know this is because I stay in Bingen when I am visiting. But essentially we all moved on from that location for the above mentioned reasons.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostWed Jun 07, 17 2:30 am     Reply with quote

I don't launch and land there just launch. Launch from the grass, walk down the dirt ramp, drag through water growth and then take all the time in the world going down wind.

Mosier is quick but you don't have to be in a hurry. Lyle around the corner and around some islands but you should know the wind is there and what it's doing on that bend - Rowena is just a little further but again know the wind is there.

It's my get away from the crowd run and I've only seen a few locals from Mosier there along with the occasional paraglider pilot checking wing and lines.

It's fun and different - not as easy as some of the other launches.

www.freeridekiting.com

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 07, 17 6:44 am     Reply with quote

ErraticAKn wrote:
Lyle around the corner and around some islands but you should know the wind is there and what it's doing on that bend

Isn't Mamaloose Island the Indian "Island of the Dead"? You (white guy) step foot on that ground and your soul is cursed for eternity.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 07, 17 8:08 am     Reply with quote

Singlemalt,
Maybe send a PM to Mark - he pioneered and promoted Bingen for kiting back in 2010 when he was involved with the CGKA.

http://nwkite.com/forums/t-19131.html&highlight=bingen

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostWed Jun 07, 17 9:05 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
Isn't Mamaloose Island the Indian "Island of the Dead"? You (white guy) step foot on that ground and your soul is cursed for eternity.

I'm Tlingit from Sitka - I think I'll be okay.

www.freeridekiting.com

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 07, 17 9:43 am     Reply with quote

I went down there last night to do a little recon. I brought my two labs and a chuckit so I'd blend in. Six dogs, six people. It's a nice dog park. We've been taking the dogs down there to swim for years. The usual doggy play and small talk with other dog owners ensued.

I read the old thread. Memory lane runs through a pretty rough neighborhood. No good deeds went unpunished.

The high water levels will recede, and the event site being rented out is a one off. But it's almost the middle of June, and there's a lot of kiters wondering where they can get to the water without getting creamed launching and landing. I'm lucky to be working in Portland this weekend, I'll miss all the fun.

Bingen doesn't look like a very good alternative at this point. The brush on the banks has gotten huge and the paths to the water are tight. The tiny sand beach at the downwind end is submerged, with a strong current running between the point and the big rock island. I didn't see anyplace where a top launch would work. Maybe a drift launch and wet landing, but I'd still probably go to hood river. If only to have some people around to help.

I'm not nearly confident enough to self launch on the grass and maneuver down the paths. The wind on the lawn is generally very choppy.

Clearing a large swathe down the bank would probably fill a 20 yd container with brush. It would be a sizable job.

It's a decent place to fly a trainer, but you do take up a huge amount of space, and there may be dogs, and families. It's a better place to take the dogs, have a beer and enjoy the scenery. Great blackberries during the season at the west end.

I remember the sailing was just so so for windsurfing. I can see why there isn't that much interest. Most people went there to avoid the crowds at the more popular spots.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostWed Jun 07, 17 6:58 pm     Reply with quote

It's ok kiting if it's super nuked at the event site. We used to launch and land kind of like Stevenson style one person on the bank holding the kite and the other in the water. It's sort of sketchy. I like it more for walking the dog then kiting

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Jun 08, 17 11:53 am     Reply with quote

Make sure to wear booties (entire land mass there is made up of broken shale from when the Corp was digging out Bonneville Dam) and always have a kite knife with you, as there are regularly fishing drift nets set upwind and downwind of the launch area (look for buoys of styrofoam blocks, they are indicators for fishing nets/lines).

The CGKA worked with the Port of Bingen for a little while on improvement plans for making this a more viable Kite Launch, but at the end of the day, it seemed that the risks might possibly outweigh the rewards.

If we could get a couple truckloads of sand to fill in the cove more and an agreement with the intertribal fishing council to not have any drift nets in front of the launch, it could become something quite useable.

www.Purestokesports.com

Last edited by Pepi on Mon Jul 29, 19 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 27, 19 7:16 pm    Bumping another Bingen thread. Reply with quote

It’s been a couple years since this thread. I gave up on it and have been happily calling the Wunderbar home beach. But things are changing at the mouth of the White Salmon.

Friday my 12meter spanned the widest bit of beach. Today, even less room. Three kites was a mess. The river is taking the sand away at an amazing clip.

Looking at a Bingen for foiling fun.

I’ll contact Bart at CGW2 and see if I can get info on who the players might be.

Just a twenty yard roll off container, a good size crew of volunteers, and a few hours could open up a nice spot.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 28, 19 1:25 pm     Reply with quote

Y'all need a history lesson when it comes to Bingen:
http://nwkite.com/forums/t-19131.html&highlight=bingen

Last edited by ldhr on Sun Jul 28, 19 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 28, 19 2:23 pm     Reply with quote

I resurrected that thread. Classic NW Kite!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: