Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

When will the sandbar (hr) be ready for launches?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue May 30, 17 11:28 am    What happened to this post? Reply with quote

"ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
763 Posts
Hood River
Opinionated

CGKA Member

Tue May 30, 17 8:30 am    Event Site Kiters - stop kiting around the launch.

Memorial day was an epic day for kiting.
Half day of perfect foil wind followed by ballistic winds thru the evening.
And the usual suspects launching and landing in the no fly zone.
It took years and many hours by dedicated volunteers to secure the rights for kiter’s to launch from the grass and a small group of kiters are jeopardizing this privilege.

Larry, Laura, Scott, Rick, Doyle, Pat, etc. etc. Please launch in the designated space – do not launch and land above the rest room building.
What part of the event site map do you not understand – I’ll be happy to explain.
Sponsored riders launching 10 feet inside the no fly zone close to the windsurfers.
You're a sponsored pro - you can set a better example by launching in the designated area and not exposing kiter’s to loss of privileges.
Rick from Portland (LP Cabrinha Apollo) - please stop foiling inside the buoys. they are not gybe buoys. You're an expert - go kite upwind. You do this every time you show up here and you're gonna cause us to lose privileges.
Kid on the Rally jumping 20 feet in front of the beach - please stop from doing this!
The buoys are there to keep you away from the beach.

updated_event_site_image_433.jpg 

kid.JPG 

rick.JPG "

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue May 30, 17 6:43 pm     Reply with quote

The Wunderbar did not exist today tuesday may 30th. This is the highest water I have seen this year.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed May 31, 17 10:44 am     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
The Wunderbar did not exist today tuesday may 30th. This is the highest water I have seen this year.

But what did exist was some of the sweetest swell yet this year from Wunder to the Hatch.

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 01, 17 8:31 am     Reply with quote

Looks like water levels will remain in the 40k cfs range through the middle of the month.

Good for swell riding, but challenging for safe launching/landing and limited, if any, sandbar exposure.

dalles water level forecast for june 2017.jpg 

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 01, 17 9:02 am     Reply with quote

When the wunderbar is mostly submerged, beware of pockets of quicksand. It's like stepping into a hole. A wet, cold, deep hole. They don't call call it "quick" for nothing.

I'd suggest blowing up your kite and being totally ready to launch before running out lines. And you might need to help clear the deck of launches before running out lines. Run the lines, hook up, and go.

Lately there is hardly enough sand to spread a kite without having a wingtip at the waters edge. It's super tight. If your stuff is spread out for too long, you'll get covered by someone landing or trying to launch.

Drift launches can be foiled by the strong, very fast current.

If the fishermans bench is underwater, the sand down past the picnic table and driftwood structure, in the bushes,is sketchy. Super saturated. That's what makes quicksand.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Jun 01, 17 10:05 am     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:
When the wunderbar is mostly submerged, beware of pockets of quicksand. It's like stepping into a hole. A wet, cold, deep hole. They don't call call it "quick" for nothing.

I'd suggest blowing up your kite and being totally ready to launch before running out lines. And you might need to help clear the deck of launches before running out lines. Run the lines, hook up, and go.

Lately there is hardly enough sand to spread a kite without having a wingtip at the waters edge. It's super tight. If your stuff is spread out for too long, you'll get covered by someone landing or trying to launch.

Drift launches can be foiled by the strong, very fast current.

If the fishermans bench is underwater, the sand down past the picnic table and driftwood structure, in the bushes,is sketchy. Super saturated. That's what makes quicksand.

That's good beta to know. Thanks. Thumb's Up

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 01, 17 11:38 am     Reply with quote

Try 400k not puny 40k!! Big Wednesday a couple years ago was 300k. We need some serious sustained wind if we are going to have monster swell with 400k flows. Starts getting a flush that's too flat

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 02, 17 7:25 am     Reply with quote

Has anyone ventured to the "fight club" site, is there any sand to rig gear at all or is everything underwater right now?

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostFri Jun 02, 17 7:59 am     Reply with quote

It's underwater but you can rig your kite next to train tracks and self launch fairly easily.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 02, 17 9:10 am     Reply with quote

Scriffler wrote:
but you can rig your kite next to train tracks

Popcorn

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 02, 17 9:53 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
Scriffler wrote:
but you can rig your kite next to train tracks

Popcorn

Haha - yeah i think i'll wait for some sand to surface - thanks for the suggestion though.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 02, 17 10:41 am     Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:
Has anyone ventured to the "fight club" site, is there any sand to rig gear at all or is everything underwater right now?

Have not been there yet in '17. But in years past there has been a very narrow bowling alley of dry land in the bushes suitable for polite rig 'n launch. It even had a self-launch fixed lanyard. This was when all the sandbars(s) were flooded.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 02, 17 3:31 pm     Reply with quote

Dog Patrol wrote:
Try 400k not puny 40k!! Big Wednesday a couple years ago was 300k. We need some serious sustained wind if we are going to have monster swell with 400k flows. Starts getting a flush that's too flat

Conditions seemed pretty nice on Tuesday with the current and the wind.

turns on tues 5 30 17 2a.jpg 

www.Purestokesports.com

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSat Jun 03, 17 9:33 pm     Reply with quote

I launched from the ES grass for the first time today. As expected, there was a variety skills being displayed with varying results. It appeared a few people did not understand protocol. However, for the most part there was a lot of cooperation and positive attitudes. More than anything else, I think the holes and gusts in the wind made launching more difficult and unpredictable for all skill levels.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostSun Jun 04, 17 9:13 am     Reply with quote

SalmonSlayer wrote:
More than anything else, I think the holes and gusts in the wind made launching more difficult and unpredictable for all skill levels.

Absolute truth.

Event Site launching can catch the best of the best off guard. I wouldn´t classify it as ¨experts only¨ but it´s definitely not beginner friendly.

If you launch a little hot and keep it moving you´ll be totally fine and if your survive the peanut gallery watching your every move Pepi´s photo is a glimpse of the goods that await your effort.

tgautier

Since 22 Oct 2016
48 Posts

PostMon Jun 05, 17 12:33 pm     Reply with quote

I'll add that the weekends seem to fill up with a lot of people that don't kite as frequently as those that are regulars at the Event Site.

Given the Gorge's generally gusty wind patterns, especially early in the season, it seems somewhat common that not only are these folks dealing with difficult landing/launching but also in some cases kites that are too large for the conditions, often the excuse being "it's my smallest kite".

It's a good reminder that this pattern ended in a fatality at Alameda only a few short weeks ago.

If you are launching (or have been asked to launch) someone and they don't seem confident, aren't abiding by the rules, or don't have proper gear there should be zero hesitation to refuse with a clear explanation of what you think is the cause.

MasPedos

Since 05 May 2017
94 Posts
Kihei Hey Hey

PostMon Jun 05, 17 3:22 pm    Asking for help and knowing when you need help. Reply with quote

It's a fine line between having the courage to ask for help and not letting the situation overcome your ability level. I'm an advanced kiter. I have 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14 mtr. kites. I use them all. I use them for the range of wind that I find myself in at the time.

At Mok's I use a 14 and a 12 when Tophat is on a 9mtr. He's about 40lbs lighter than me, but he could fly my kite better than me in any event. I've seen Bison ride a 14 mtr. in overpowered conditions that to be honest with you scared me. He made it look easy.

I'm a certified idiot and an IKO instructor since 2006. I've had some really close calls. It's a miracle that I didn't end up dead at Stiletz Bay. I was lofted on my 12 mtr. Caution Kite. A 1999 C-kite. I drifted through the air like a big Earl Grey Tea Bag for about 200 feet. My kite angels set me down in the middle of the water. I pulled my oh shit loop, Brave Dave installed for me, "You might need it."

I had a conversation with the highest level IKO instructor in Da Gorge. This instructor told me that the solution is simple. Require a certification from an approved source, I.K.O., P.A.S.A, or other, that says you are able to kite safely.
When I was a kid I had to show the lifeguard at the pool I could swim 50 meters or one lap without help to be allowed to swim in the deep end. Launching at the spit is like the deep end. This is a controversial idea, but it's time seems to have come. We risk losing access if we don't do something to protect those unwitting kiters who are a part of our culture. We owe it to them to keep them safe.

Kiting is a uniquely wonderful and unfortunately potentially dangerous sport. It gets more so when the gear gets older and the kiter operating of the gear is at the Level 1a. The funny thing is that Kooks, we were all once, are a part of a sport that unlike windsurfing, presents unseen dangers in much larger window.

Kiting has a huge footprint. We take up more space than a windsurfer, sup or even a boat. All kiters know that anything downwind 23meter times 2 we may end up impacting our body. Much like the accidents that have happened recently.

I'm gonna tell you that I will be paying $100 for my parking permit. I would also pay $100 to have my IKO/PASA card to show the beach guard for access to the beach. I know it sucks to have regulation, but at the Event Site it's time for a system that relies on rules rather than Bro-code. The fact is that if a kiter comes and rigs and proceeds to kook out most people, including myself, are going to be too busy to "do the right thing." And even if I "do the right thing" the kiter may just tell me to "@#$%Off." In my kookier days I would have!

So, here's my thought, I'm not alone in saying, let's move towards a regulated system with a person that is responsible to check people out. It sounds like overkill but it's better than what's happening now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: