Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Go Jesse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon May 22, 17 8:18 am    Go Jesse Reply with quote

Jesse Richman was profiled in the WSJ a few days ago. Pretty cool. The article was focused on his workout routine. It sounds like he takes his training seriously. Also he had 50 kites and 70 boards. Makes my gear addiction sound like nothing!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-delicate-balance-of-jesse-richmans-kiteboarding-1495278001

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostTue May 30, 17 6:02 am     Reply with quote

just got back from a week in maui. Got to kite with him and Patri out of stable road.

Guys are so great to watch.

And super down to earth.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostTue May 30, 17 11:12 am     Reply with quote

The article is behind a paywall. Anyone can put their info on here
Or pm it to me so I can read the article..?

westportcap

Since 08 Jan 2012
54 Posts

PostTue May 30, 17 1:38 pm    I've got a Jesse story. Reply with quote

For a number of reasons, I skipped the Blowout last year. Instead, I drove to Viento, hid my car key under a rock, self-launched, and kited to the ES. It was windy, and I was well ahead of the race leaders.

I caught a ride back to Viento, and on the way we saw the leaders BLASTING through Swell City. The guy in front, I think it was Reinstra, was LOOPING a huge black Core with his board pointed straight downwind. It was epic and impressive.

I got back to my car, I dropped my gear, and I ran down to the water to fetch my car key. When I got there, I saw someone wrapping his lines with a gigantic 14m Naish sitting next to him. No board. It was positively weird to see a kite that big on a day that windy on the rocks at Viento.

I asked the dude if he needed a ride, and he answered “YES”. But then looks at me and asks, “Do you kite? I could really use a board more than I could use a ride.”

His question spurred the inevitable, involuntary, and instantaneous appraisal that happens in these circumstances: fit dude, not far from the front of the race, body-dragged to Viento, 14m Naish, 28m lines, and 25+ wind. I decided I’d see my board again or this guy would replace it. “Yeah”, I said, “I’ve got a board you can use”.

On the way to my car, we traded names and he said his name was Jesse Richman.

He grabbed my Mako 150, and we headed back down to the water.

I picked up his kite – too big to flip over in the usual way – and I dragged it into the wind while he cleared his lines with the kind of bar magic that only team riders understand. With some difficulty, we launched the beast, and I do not know how he held it down. It looked like a flying cruise ship.

As I turned away to head home I looked back one last time, expecting to see Jesse in a full-speed assault to chase down Eric. Instead, I saw he had slowed up to check on another racer who was in the process of a self-rescue. After a quick conversation, the assault was back on and then I knew it for sure, “Yeah, I’ll see my board again.”

Two days later, I received a FB message filled with gratitude explaining that he had dropped the board at Big Winds, and they were holding it until I could swing by to pick it up. When I got there, my board was indeed there, it was undamaged, and attached to it was a $100 gift certificate with a note of thanks.

It was an unnecessary act that speaks volumes about the character of the guy, and I hope Jesse has a long, safe, fulfilling career in this sport.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue May 30, 17 2:28 pm    Re: I've got a Jesse story. Reply with quote

westportcap wrote:
For a number of reasons, I skipped the Blowout last year. Instead, I drove to Viento, hid my car key under a rock, self-launched, and kited to the ES. It was windy, and I was well ahead of the race leaders.

I caught a ride back to Viento, and on the way we saw the leaders BLASTING through Swell City. The guy in front, I think it was Reinstra, was LOOPING a huge black Core with his board pointed straight downwind. It was epic and impressive.

I got back to my car, I dropped my gear, and I ran down to the water to fetch my car key. When I got there, I saw someone wrapping his lines with a gigantic 14m Naish sitting next to him. No board. It was positively weird to see a kite that big on a day that windy on the rocks at Viento.

I asked the dude if he needed a ride, and he answered “YES”. But then looks at me and asks, “Do you kite? I could really use a board more than I could use a ride.”

His question spurred the inevitable, involuntary, and instantaneous appraisal that happens in these circumstances: fit dude, not far from the front of the race, body-dragged to Viento, 14m Naish, 28m lines, and 25+ wind. I decided I’d see my board again or this guy would replace it. “Yeah”, I said, “I’ve got a board you can use”.

I picked up his kite – too big to flip over in the usual way – and I dragged it into the wind while he cleared his lines with the kind of bar magic that only team riders understand. With some difficulty, we launched the beast, and I do not know how he held it down. It looked like a flying cruise ship.

As I turned away to head home I looked back one last time, expecting to see Jesse in a full-speed assault to chase down Eric. Instead, I saw he had slowed up to check on another racer who was in the process of a self-rescue. After a quick conversation, the assault was back on and then I knew it for sure, “Yeah, I’ll see my board again.”

Two days later, I received a FB message filled with gratitude explaining that he had dropped the board at Big Winds, and they were holding it until I could swing by to pick it up. When I got there, my board was indeed there, it was undamaged, and attached to it was a $100 gift certificate with a note of thanks.

It was an unnecessary act that speaks volumes about the character of the guy, and I hope Jesse has a long, safe, fulfilling career in this sport.

nice story!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue May 30, 17 3:07 pm     Reply with quote

westportcap, that is a great story. Jesse parked next to me at the Event site one day -I chatted with him for a while. He seemed like a really great, down to earth guy. It's fun to watch a nice guy like this do well.

Here is another link to the article that isn't behind a paywall.

http://www.cetusnews.com/views/BJawM3j4o6gW?cat=business&title=The%20Delicate%20Balance%20of%20Jesse%20Richman%E2%80%99s%20Kiteboarding

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostTue May 30, 17 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I have known Jesse for a long time and he is a real professional athlete who takes training seriously. Pay attention kids, dedication and humbleness will take you a long way with sponsors.

taycar

Since 11 Jan 2010
110 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostWed May 31, 17 10:44 am     Reply with quote

westportcap, awesome story!

That was a crazy blowout run. I dealt with my kite tumbling over on a downloop (caught the tip in a wave)and having to unwrap my lines in the middle of the river. Once corrected I was just passing viento and saw Jesse fly past me.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostWed May 31, 17 1:16 pm    Re: I've got a Jesse story. Reply with quote

westportcap wrote:

Great story,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: