Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ride Engine Hex Core Harness?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Solmzie

Since 29 May 2017
10 Posts
Portland, Oregon

PostMon May 29, 17 12:24 pm    Ride Engine Hex Core Harness? Reply with quote

Newbie graduating from seat harness to waist harness. Was at Jones yesterday talking with some women who were amped on the Ride Engine Hex Core Harness. Seems like it has some great features, will be less restrictive with switch stance riding, waves, etc. Any users out there who recommend or would say beware?
Thanks in advance for your help!
http://www.rideengine.com/GEAR/Wind/Hex-Core-Blue-Harness.html

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 29, 17 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

Some love it some hate it. The best idea is to demo one before you buy it.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon May 29, 17 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

Search on here for Ride Engine...lot's of posts. I'm not sure what you mean by "will be less restrictive with switch stance riding". Do you mean toe-side? If so, it's the sliding hook that helps this which can go on many harnesses.

The hard shell design is about comfort and durability. I can vouch for the comfort and so far so good on the durability. Consider the carbon or bamboo if you're into shedding weight.

Solmzie

Since 29 May 2017
10 Posts
Portland, Oregon

PostMon May 29, 17 1:02 pm     Reply with quote

Wonderful, thanks for the replies. Yes, I mean toe side. I'll start looking for a source to demo it. If you have any ideas on that it would be appreciated!

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon May 29, 17 1:05 pm    Harness Reply with quote

I think big winds demo's them.. Try before you buy.
Makes toe side riding much easier. I will never go back to shorts.
Does not slide up, my even when I don't get the belt tight enough.
And the 2017 harness's have a knife pocket, something 2016 did not.

Solmzie

Since 29 May 2017
10 Posts
Portland, Oregon

PostMon May 29, 17 1:16 pm     Reply with quote

Right on, thanks

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon May 29, 17 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry its windance on 35

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostMon May 29, 17 9:44 pm     Reply with quote

Like others said, try before you buy. Treat harnesses like shoes - these are not a one-size or one-brand fits all and one model may be awful while another may be excellent for you. This is especially true for the rigid-back harnesses (Ride Engine, Dakine C-1, Mystic Majestic X, etc.). Because of the rigid design they will not easily conform to your personal shape, but are made to fit the most common/average physiques out there. I am not a woman but I have learned (through trial and error and by word of mouth) how much more difficult it is for women to find a properly fitting waist harness than it is for men. I suppose this makes sense given that men generally a more square frame than women, which makes an "average" shape easier to develop for the men.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 30, 17 4:44 am     Reply with quote

If you try it... get one size smaller than you would normally think you are. I'm a medium in all things, but after a few weeks of the Ride Engine I was wishing I had the small as it moved around on me. Sold it.
I am a 32" waist.

HiJack: Looking for the very best high-end shorts harness a la Nitrous. I am %100 foil now and I like a low & fixed CL. Recommendations?

Solmzie

Since 29 May 2017
10 Posts
Portland, Oregon

PostTue May 30, 17 7:14 am     Reply with quote

Great feedback, thanks both of you.

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostTue May 30, 17 8:54 am     Reply with quote

I like the Ride Engine harness a lot. I'm also a 32" waist. The Medium with 8" bar works Ok for me. Does need to be really snug or it will ride up. I like the rope slider - really good for toe side riding. My previous harness was Dakine Chameleon which has a removeable seat option. It was OK, but I like the Ride Engine better. Try some on in the shop and see what feels good to you. Any waist harness will increase your mobility and make toe side riding easier. They can ride up if not snug- that's the trade off.
- Bob

Hulk

Since 17 Feb 2017
29 Posts
Portland, OR

PostTue May 30, 17 9:01 am     Reply with quote

I'm also a newbie and I upgraded from the seat harness to a waist harness this year, going with the Ride Engine Bamboo. I absolutely love it. Much better mobility, way easier to get the board on my feet quickly so I'm not worrying much about the kite while I'm getting the board on (and also getting better at flying the kite without looking at it). The harness feels super solid, wasn't riding up my torso after a long session of practicing my weak side starts yesterday, and feels every bit as supportive of my weight as the seat harness did.

For sizing: I'm a 34 waist, and while it was recommended to me that I get a medium, I ended up going with the large, and it fits great with room to adjust both directions. My first harness was on the small side so it was tough to get on sometimes, that problem is gone. I'm 6'2 220# and don't fit into much of anything that's size medium.

Agree with the rest of the posts, try (or at least try on) before you buy. But I'm one happy camper with the Ride Engine.

Solmzie

Since 29 May 2017
10 Posts
Portland, Oregon

PostTue May 30, 17 7:44 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Bob and Hulk, much appreciated. (and what is with this kook signature under my posts??) a little initiation for new members? Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: