Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

death loop survival
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed May 24, 17 12:02 pm     Reply with quote

FreerideWhiteSalmon wrote:
SpaceRacer wrote:
I have seen this video and give thanks to who made it. But I am skeptical of whether this would work, especially in the Gorge on small powered kites. If you watch the video, despite being in super light wind, this guy's kite tries to relaunch itself. If you're on a looping kite, most likely one outside line is shorter than the other. As you reel in the longer line, you then end up with two equal length steering lines that are both shorter than the center lines, tipping the kite back to either relaunch or hot launch. And good luck in deep water trying to fly a kite with one hand wrapped around a steering line while you "calmly sort your junk out". In a death spiral, I'm reaching for my big hook knife and cutting my center lines and every other f+×÷ing thing with tension on it.

Is there a reason you wouldn't just pop your second safety and release the kite at this point, vs. cutting lines? The only situation I can think of is the bar is somehow tangled and attached to your harness on the hook.

Obviously every situation is different and there is no single right answer.

But, my thoughts are:

1) Situations can (and have happened to both myself and others) where you are unable to pull both safetys to fully release from the kite. I described a situation previously where my lines had wrapped around my harness bar. A good rule of thumb to live by is not if something goes wrong, but rather when something goes wrong... What are your options?

2) When pulling both safetys you are changing the environment:

a) You have now given up the option of using your kite to get back to land
    b) Your kite is now floating loose which could present additional dangers to others around

Thus, it makes sense to me that kiters should be familiar with multiple options beyond simply pulling your safetys or your knife.

If time is a requirement, then pulling your safetys is probably the fastest solution. But a seasoned kiter will be able to recognize that a kite is going to yank you seconds before the actual yank takes place. Thus, a seasoned kiter has plenty of time to stall a kite before the yank actually occurs.

Also, if you are in water and away from any downwind objects, simply getting yanked isn't really a big deal. Stalling your kite might be a better option to consider for the reasons previously mentioned.

I carry a knife, in fact I carry two. One of my knives is a flip-out curved blade. I would guess that a best case scenerio for me to locate either one of my knives, secure it in my hand, locate the lines I need to cut, and cut all lines is at minimum a 30 second ordeal. Add to this that I might be getting drug under water or across land and I think you can safely say that time requirements will be much longer... if even at all possible. I consider a knife to be the solution of choice if my (or another kiteboarder's) lines are wrapped up in a fixed object AND immediate dangers outweigh the risks of a loose kite flying around.

Just my perspective, I'm sure others will weigh in as well.

FreerideWhiteSalmon

Since 17 May 2012
64 Posts

CGKA Member

PostWed May 24, 17 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

Great perspective, thanks for the insight.

Last year I bought a dive knife so that I had something that had a bigger blade in scenarios where the line knife might not work. It has a blunt tip, and serrated blade on one side, sharp on the other. The problem is I can't figure out how to easily carry it on my Ride Engine harness that I love so much. My goal is to get it mounted there, and also tied to the harness with an elastic cord, so that when I drop it I don't completely lose it.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed May 24, 17 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

My dive knife attaches to the back handlepass strap on the RIDE harness. See pic.

IMG_2287.JPG 

www.naishkites.com

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed May 24, 17 12:34 pm     Reply with quote

I didn't buy a dive knife, rather a curved utility knife from a big box store. My thought process was I probably had about as good of chance of stabbing myself as cutting my lines with a straight blade in a high pressure situation.

I also bought a custom case that fit my knife.

I ride in both salt water as well as fresh. A few weeks ago I decided to test whether I could still get my knife out.

The snap on my case broke off (rust).

My blade had visible rust.

Everything still works... but probably time for me to think about replacement.

FreerideWhiteSalmon

Since 17 May 2012
64 Posts

CGKA Member

PostWed May 24, 17 12:45 pm     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
My dive knife attaches to the back handlepass strap on the RIDE harness. See pic.

Nice - thanks for the sharing. Looks like the exact same knife I have, so I'll do the same.

dd676

Since 12 Jun 2016
7 Posts
Portland, OR
Kook

PostSat Jun 24, 17 9:00 pm     Reply with quote

I had a death loop happen to me for the first time on Thursday at Sauvie. Not even sure how I got wrapped up, but I thought I was getting the hang of it after reaching up and flagging the kite on the steering line, was passing my handle to untangle and lost my grip on the steering line, got lifted by a big gust and sent into an even tighter loop. Too much adrenaline, should have paused and secured for a self rescue but had only looped twice at the start before I flagged it, thought I could get it untangled and relaunch.

I'll be honest I'm not sure exactly what happened at that point, I was getting dragged HARD downwind and sucking down river. I was able to pull chicken loop but of course it didn't budge the lines were so wrapped, so leash released and it sailed away. Everyone downwind saw my getting dragged and got out of the way.

Got a ride in and someone picked up my board, then got some help from the motor boating nudists down the beach to pick up the kite. Special thanks to Jon and Mike for the board rescue and ride in, and to Dan the Man with the sparkly halo cock ring: you're kinda my hero, that boat was worth the $3k. To the sunkissed swinger couple and lesbian art teacher who helped me untangle my lines on the beach, you guys rock too. Sauvie is a great spot to kite!

Lesson learned:
Once you manage to flag and halt the loop: stop, breathe, and reassess.
Don't budge on that flagging line until you're 100% steady and ready, even for an instant. If in doubt wrap it and self rescue.
Play more with the bar and lines as demoed in the video
Watch the video on repeat until it's second nature. That was easily my scariest kiting experience so far.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: