Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Accident @ ES 5/20
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostSun May 21, 17 5:29 am    Accident @ ES 5/20 Reply with quote

Does anyone know how the guy who go hurt on Saturday is doing? Anyone have any idea of the cause?

jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
216 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostMon May 22, 17 7:06 am    accident Reply with quote

Hi
I witnessed it.

The guy launched from the grass. He was in the water, closer to the east end of launch zone. 10m
Fluky conditions inside with occassional gusty conditions.

Kite was hot and he did a small hop as the kite passed thru 12 moving toward the north.
He then pulled it back and did a bigger hop, kite moving south.
He grabbed the bar again and is flew back again bigger hop.
He landed and now was out of position and the kite did a tomahawk downwind of him and he flew head first into the log on the beach by the east jetty.
His board was on a leash.

Call 911.

I have not heard of his condition now.

It happened in the blink of an eye.

Hazard to Navigation

Since 12 Sep 2016
62 Posts
Hood River

PostMon May 22, 17 8:10 am     Reply with quote

I heard third or fourth hand that he broke his femur. I was out riding when it happened.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon May 22, 17 8:40 am     Reply with quote

second hand - from Matt Doces

said he lost control, sent his kite out to the river (people were screaming for him to release)

Matt thought he was going to be OK, then he sent the kite back to shore

He hit the root ball on the big log, so hard he turned the log around

Dr Bobby? directed bystander to call 911 immediately
and was quickly responding

Broken femur and knee - they said his leg was swelling terribly - he had a short window to get aid or could of been much worse

Very scary - be safe

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostMon May 22, 17 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

Can't we convince the port to get those logs gone. Every time I see those logs, i know this would happen

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 22, 17 10:56 pm     Reply with quote

We have initiated a request to the port officials to immediately reinstate the designated launch and land zones (marked with grass chalk) and to bring back the ropes and sandwich boards that have signage warning spectators to keep clear.

Launching anywhere west of the designated areas is asking for trouble, both in jeopardizing our launch access agreement with the Port and in flying your kite in an airspace that has unpredictable vortexes that occur due to the LuhrJensen building roofline.

We realize that it sucks to have to speak to offenders of this rule, but if we allow things to slide further and further out of control at the Event Site we will eventually lose these launch privileges either via discipline reasons, or via insurance reasons if the Port were to ever face a lawsuit or injury claim in which the Port's insurance company decided to settle.

This is the very same thing that happened to one of the original kite schools here in the Gorge as well. One incident, and then no insurance.

Let's keep it happy and safe out there people.
We have a very big weekend coming up and we need to find a way to make it through this safely.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue May 23, 17 6:41 am     Reply with quote

No signs and no grass markings?
Also, the past signs could be improved for size and having a stronger statement
What about roping things off, large signs with strong statements?
Sorry, I have not launched at the event sight this spring

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 23, 17 7:43 am     Reply with quote

The locals need to self police and politely advise people who rig and launch and kite in wrong areas.
Last weekend I spoke to ~20 people who were pumping up in the launch area or kiting in front of the windsurf area. Or laying out there lines in street clothes.
Every single person I spoke with was ignorant of the rules and seemed to appreciate the advice I gave them.
Say hello, howzit going, where you from, etc. etc.....then I ask them if it's ok to give them some advice about what they're doing before I start in with a lecture.
Here's what I tell them.
Pump and prep above the trees. don't lay out your lines until your ready to launch - wetsuit zipped up and harness buckled on tight.
Point out the appropriate launch and landing spots.
Explain - it may not seem important now when it's not crowded - but it's important to follow these guidelines for when it's crowded. Plus it's the rules.
And flag me when you're ready and I'll give you a launch!

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue May 23, 17 9:09 am     Reply with quote

Rules are only as good as the notifications, access to the info. I would push for better signs and ext. Smile

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 23, 17 9:14 am     Reply with quote

WindSki wrote:
No signs and no grass markings?
Also, the past signs could be improved for size and having a stronger statement
What about roping things off, large signs with strong statements?
Sorry, I have not launched at the event sight this spring

This has been somewhat of a challenging issue for the CGKA to get the Port on board with, in regards to less wording, bigger print, and clearer statements in regards to signage.
Pepi and Adam have been trying to get this changed for a couple of years now, with moderate results.

It would be very, very helpful for kiters who use the Event Site to please take a minute ouf of your day to submit an email or phone call to the Port of Hood River to share your thoughts on these safety issues (Safety issues only please. Talks of taking over the Event Site for kiting are for another time and place) (541) 386-1645.
OR -[url] https://portofhoodriver.com/contact/[/url]

We appreciate those of you whom have contacted us directly about these issues and who have also been sharing your concerns with the Port directly, THANK YOU!!!

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue May 23, 17 9:27 am     Reply with quote

Smile
Last edited by WindSki on Tue May 23, 17 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Sauve

Since 19 Mar 2009
97 Posts
Hood River

PostTue May 23, 17 9:43 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
The locals need to self police and politely advise people who rig and launch and kite in wrong areas.
Last weekend I spoke to ~20 people who were pumping up in the launch area or kiting in front of the windsurf area. Or laying out there lines in street clothes.
Every single person I spoke with was ignorant of the rules and seemed to appreciate the advice I gave them.
Say hello, howzit going, where you from, etc. etc.....then I ask them if it's ok to give them some advice about what they're doing before I start in with a lecture.
Here's what I tell them.
Pump and prep above the trees. don't lay out your lines until your ready to launch - wetsuit zipped up and harness buckled on tight.
Point out the appropriate launch and landing spots.
Explain - it may not seem important now when it's not crowded - but it's important to follow these guidelines for when it's crowded. Plus it's the rules.
And flag me when you're ready and I'll give you a launch!

I second that! I have tried to avoid the ES for the last couple years and I went Friday and I was utterly shocked to see A) how clueless so many people were and B) how little "self-police"ing was going on. I feel like I've seen it all before here, but it was chaos, even for the event site. I spent a little time catching kites and trying to politely clue people in and most people were cool, some a little less so. It's not particularly fun to do, but its much easier as well as effective if it's a community effort. Hopefully I don't sound too pompous when I say I feel that we owe it to ourselves( the kite community, especially the beginner that are potentially most vulnerable) to maintain safe and functional access. THANKS TO ALL OTHERS THAT ADHERE TO AND HELP GUIDE OTHERS ON THE GENERAL GUIDELINES Very Happy Very Happy Let's keep on it. I'm not the least bit surprised someone was seriously hurt, in-fact I'm surprised it was just one incident, but I'm really sad to hear it! Hoping for a fast and full recovery for you dude!

sleestack

Since 07 Dec 2006
181 Posts
Land of the Lost
Stoked

PostTue May 23, 17 9:47 am     Reply with quote

[quote="WindSki"]Sorry for being an ass, but why is $100 a year parking not enough of a statement that they need to do a better job? I think all the kiteboarders need to do a sit-in to show them we are a large group and should not be ignored. From your statement sounds like the port does not think much of the kite community and the $$ that we bring[/quote]

Dude, enough already with your whining about the measly $100 for your preseason parking pass. That is dirt cheap for the amount of times you will use it/amortize your pass. You get plenty of value from your dollar spent there at the ES/CB.

By the way, when will you be going on your global employment tour? One less at the crowd bar.

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 23, 17 9:53 am     Reply with quote

WindSki wrote:
Sorry for being an ass, but why is $100 a year parking not enough of a statement that they need to do a better job? I think all the kiteboarders need to do a sit-in to show them we are a large group and should not be ignored. From your statement sounds like the port does not think much of the kite community and the $$ that we bring

I should clarify, the Port and the CGKA have a very good relationship in regards to our access and agreements. Under no circumstances do we want to present this in any other way.

But, right now, we face three immediate challenges in this relationship

1) The kiteboard community showing a willingness to abide by the well established rules of agreement to use only the west side of the beach, launch and land only on the shoreline, and all pumping/drying up on the south side of the lawn (closer to the sidewalk, and now down on the shoreline)
2) The Port providing appropriate signage for users to understand and respect, as well as some sort of beach management via staffing or ambassador.
3) A very rapidly growing amount of tourist spectators and alternative recreational water users incorporating themselves into the windsurfer/kiteboarder mix without having and knowledge of the safety or danger issues related with each sport, or how those dangers are compounded when not following safety rules.

Regarding the parking fees, no matter the cost of these fees, they barely add up to about 60% of the Event Site annual maintenance fees, so there are no profits made via these permit costs.
The Port of Hood River, in all actuality, is a very generous land owner to provide all of the waterfront access points that we have, on an annual basis, and with around a $100,000 deficit in budget costs for these properties after user fees are applied.

Last edited by cgka on Tue May 23, 17 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue May 23, 17 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

sleestack wrote:
WindSki wrote:
Sorry for being an ass, but why is $100 a year parking not enough of a statement that they need to do a better job? I think all the kiteboarders need to do a sit-in to show them we are a large group and should not be ignored. From your statement sounds like the port does not think much of the kite community and the $$ that we bring

Dude, enough already with your whining about the measly $100 for your preseason parking pass. That is dirt cheap for the amount of times you will use it/amortize your pass. You get plenty of value from your dollar spent there at the ES/CB.

I spent $70 on a pass and break even on my 9th entry to the parking lot. A ski pass break even is typically day ~18. I thought the parking fee was a very good value. Between the Waterfront park, the walking path along Nichole's (sp?) Basin, a brewery and restaurants the port seems to be doing a pretty good job making measured improvements. It could be so much worse!! Count your blessings.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 23, 17 4:35 pm     Reply with quote

"It could be so much worse!! Count your blessings."

Yes, fully agree, and the folks dealing directly with Port members for a long time have an appreciation for the people who are involved now, and how far the attitudes have come. There was a time it could have gone very differently, with 65' Bend-esque condos where the park is now. I don't even live there anymore but I still buy the pass in case I get to squeeze a trip in. (These days I'm helping subsidize y'all).

Enjoy! (Safely!)

goiner

Since 26 Aug 2006
83 Posts

PostTue May 23, 17 9:59 pm    Accident response Reply with quote

About five of us responded after 54 yo canadian male smacked log roots with right leg direct impact causing harness to blow off, he landing a few feet away from water.

Great response by people after directing one person to call 911 and stay on line...no other callers please. Good job!

Got to injured kiter who had no apparent neck or head injury (helmeted).
Conscious and alert.

Right thigh, knee n tibia looked bad, swelling rapidly but pulse in foot.

Medics arrived with good evacuation.

Thanks to all who responded.
I have been unable to obtain follow up because of hippa rules.

Bob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: