Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sand Dune Kiting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostMon Mar 27, 17 8:38 am    Sand Dune Kiting Reply with quote

Has anyone spent much time trying to kite sand dunes - like those down near Florence? Seems like it would be really similar to snow kiting but friction from the sand would be an issue for a board? Lots of gliding possibilities too it would seem. A couple of youtubes I've looked at haven't looked very appealing so thought I'd see if anyone has tried to dial it in?

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Mar 27, 17 8:59 am     Reply with quote

With snowkiting you use the kite to pull you up the hills but with sand dunes there's way too much friction to go uphill.

What you can do is glide the ridge winds, but you are better off in a paraglider than a kite for that.

There is a spot in France where this sort of thing is really popular, Dune du Pilat, near Arcachon.

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostTue Mar 28, 17 1:29 pm    sounds like fun...and soft crashes too Reply with quote

friction may be an issue, but come on...a kite is a powerful tool and I doubt that's a deal breaker

one issue i see is that dunes are multiple steep(ish) hills all close together, so there could be some wind shadowing issues after the descent.

I bet it could be fun, but yeah you would want a friction-reducing board surface.

I feel like I've seen videos from Brazil with kiters hitting the dunes.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostTue Mar 28, 17 6:10 pm     Reply with quote

It would be hilarious to watch you try. Wink

lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostWed Mar 29, 17 3:58 am     Reply with quote

It seems like a Teflon base or something super slick could work but I have to think the abrasion from the sand would make longevity of any board surface impossible. Also thinking a shape like totally reverse cambered snowboard like the Twisted shape could make it flow a bit better. Place I'm thinking of wouldn't have terrible wind shadows as the dunes are fairly shallow but thousands of nice soft wind lips & endless gullies & 1/2pipes to play in. & hairdryer wind.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostWed Mar 29, 17 3:51 pm     Reply with quote

I have seen those florence locals do such things. Maybe if the water is no longer an option and you were really hard up you should give it a go .
try a trike to up the fun
laminate countertop material is the shredders choice for sand I believe

Crassman

Since 08 Jun 2017
1 Posts
South Sound

PostThu Jun 08, 17 12:22 pm     Reply with quote

In Florence, OR there's a Sandboard Shop on Hwy 101 just north of Fred Meyer that sells special boards & wax. It's called Sand Master Park and linked on Google. (I'm not affiliated & am not advertising them.) Last summer my youngest daughter & I tried sandboarding, and loved it so much we're going back for the Sand Master Jam on July 15th.

The boards are designed specifically for sand, with different types / shapes depending on the style of ride you're looking for. We rented a couple of their "Pro" series boards for $20 each (24 hr rental), which included Dr. Dunes Board Wax. Their wax is the key for how Sandboarding even works, and took them 10 years or so to develop it.. I was blown away by how the wax made the board slide on sand just as easily as a snow board on ice.

I haven't tried Kite Sandboarding yet, but with the right "Venomous" Board & that Dr. Dunes Wax, I have little doubt it'll be quite a ride!

Hope that helps!

Peace~

Crass..

Ride Engine Hex-Core w/ Cabrinha Fireball
MBS Pro 90 - Custom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: