Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rufus Etiquette

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 04, 16 10:32 am    Rufus Etiquette Reply with quote

Rufus was packed with super stoked smiling faces.

Rufus Doofus; Don't be "That Guy".
This is a great time to review busy-beach Rufus-runway etiquette.

Please review this thread...
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-37391.html&highlight=rufus

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jul 05, 16 7:23 am    Re: Rufus Etiquette Reply with quote

Kmun wrote:

Please review this thread...
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-37391.html&highlight=rufus

That old video still gets hits on Youtube Very Happy

I think with all the out-of-towners for the holiday there was some confusion in the runway area.

To quote Jonah from the previous post:
Jonah wrote:

If I could make one request it would be to ask everyone to please move their kites further up-wind (as close to the bushes as possible, or up-hill on the rocks).

I would concur. With the extra traffic the runway often turns into a two way runway with simultaneous incoming and outgoing flights.

I had an instance this weekend coming in where just as I reached land another kite popped up going out. This wasn't a problem as I kept my kite low and allowed the other kite to pass above my kite. Problems occurred due to the fact my kite was low and the Rufus wind shadow stalled my kite forcing it down to the ground.

Under normal conditions this would not be a problem as the kite would simply float out into the water where I could bring it up again. However, in this situation another kiter had chosen to set up camp on the down wind side of the sandbar. My kite line ended up catching the wing of their kite. If I had attempted to relaunch my kite it likely would have shot their equipment out into the water. Luckily someone waded into the water to grab my kite and no equipment was lost.

I bring up this story to emphasize the fact that if you choose to pump up your kite on the downwind (east) side of the sandbar, you not only make things more difficult for others around you, but you also increase the odds of damage or loss of your own equipment as well.

BCD131

Since 26 Mar 2013
31 Posts

PostTue Jul 05, 16 9:09 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirmation that I made the right call by not going to Rufus yesterday.

dhhr

Since 09 Jul 2015
28 Posts
Hood River

PostTue Jul 05, 16 4:22 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation that I made the right call by not going to Rufus yesterday.

Despite the crowds and hectic launching/landing, I can honestly say that the conditions all weekend were WELL worth putting up with a few extra people and delays.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jul 05, 16 5:03 pm     Reply with quote

BCD131 wrote:

For those of us who went and had a great few days, I'd like to thank you and say yes, you made the right choice😄

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 05, 16 5:24 pm     Reply with quote

It was terrible northerly gusts with 1000's of angry fishermen and no kiters should ever go there.

BCD131

Since 26 Mar 2013
31 Posts

PostWed Jul 06, 16 7:56 am     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
BCD131 wrote:

For those of us who went and had a great few days, I'd like to thank you and say yes, you made the right choice😄

Just trying to be a team player Wink Glad you guys got it.

toesinthesand

Since 08 Sep 2009
167 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostFri Jul 15, 16 9:42 am    Rufus incoming/outgoing Reply with quote

IMHO if we regulars would take turns being "beach monitor" and explain this stuff to folks who are new to Rufus or just kinda clueless then there would be some organization. Just be nice and explain. I find most people want to do the right thing. Sometimes if the gear is left out downwind of the area I just move the gear up into a safer area. They will find it.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostFri Jul 15, 16 11:28 am     Reply with quote

Beach Ambassadors, that's not a bad idea!!

I typically use the launch if I'm the first there or only if a handful of kiters are there. Once it turns in to the socialite water cooler and impress-fest I launch further west in the parking lot.

www.freeridekiting.com

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 18, 16 3:54 pm     Reply with quote

So anyway, seems a mom I know was at the cove this weekend with her kids swimming in/at the cove (along with some other kids). She reports (via her deputy husband who was giving me crap about it) kites were landing in the cove in close proximity to her kids and a kiter suggested she take the kids elsewhere. Needless to say, she was rather pissed. I doubt it was anyone here, but locals have been swimming there before kiters ever existed, heck, before we ever sailboarded at Rufus. If there are kids swimming in the cove, then simply land your kites elsewhere. Telling locals to move along is a major dbag move, so don't do it. We don't need native fisherfolk and locals also pissed at kiters.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jul 18, 16 4:51 pm     Reply with quote

Moving the sheriffs wife and local fisher people. - Its a tough call on this one - especially not being there and knowing the exact locations of all involved.

If I see a situation where I would advise my own family to move for the sake of their lives- then I take it upon myself to advise others that they are in a position of extreme risk.

I am actually shocked at the disregard most kiters have for those directly downwind of them when launching.

Would it bother kiters to at least yell out "heads up" before you launch. At least give me the option to move. Or if I am pumping up a kite I will stop, turn around, and be ready to hit the deck in case of mayhem.

-A.K.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 18, 16 5:26 pm     Reply with quote

There are several issues at play (liability for injury to others, for example). One concern is the area is a multi-use recreation area. Landing kites in the cove effectively excludes one group of users. That, more than anything, could get our butts in a ringer. Frankly, I don't know why anyone would take their kids there to swim as the John Day is much warmer, safer, and more swimmer friendly, but not our decision I suppose. Folks just need to be cool.

On a slightly off topic note, if going into Rufus to the Family Market, the Bull Dog Diner, or whatever, it doesn't hurt to let them know (subtly ) that you're a kiter. I've asked businesses how many kiters they get, and they think they get very, very, very few. Would be nice if local businesses thought we were important to their businesses. Helps garner support for our cause.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 18, 16 9:09 pm     Reply with quote

Not sure how this will go over in a kite forum but
WE are the ones creating a.potentially dangerous situation so it is also our responsibility to be aware of others and their safety is also our concern. It is not our place to tell others to move so we can have fun. They have just as much right to be there and we need to make it safe for everyone in the area. Educate nicely and be careful and have fun.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Jul 18, 16 9:22 pm     Reply with quote

What Knotwindy said makes sense. And that is how I play it. Taking personal responsibility is a good thing and will keep our spots open.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: