Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Mother's Day Cascade high lakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 09, 16 7:48 am    Mother's Day Cascade high lakes Reply with quote

I got my wife some scenic kite time at Wickiup Lake, near Bend, yesterday. Awesome backdrop for a 12m sesh...

Cheers!

image.jpeg 

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 09, 16 8:21 am     Reply with quote

that photo looks worthy of an oregon outdoor mag cover shot!
submit it!
very nice I always wondered how wickiup is for kiting. dont get down there much but would love to do a long weekend down there and hit the lake

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostMon May 09, 16 8:27 am     Reply with quote

wow - gorgeous shot.
I scaled it down so it would show up in this thread.
- Bob

image.jpeg 

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon May 09, 16 9:03 am     Reply with quote

Wow!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon May 09, 16 10:59 am     Reply with quote

Thumb's Up

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon May 09, 16 10:43 pm     Reply with quote

Thumb's Up

saleeba

Since 05 Mar 2006
237 Posts
Masshole
Stoked

PostThu May 12, 16 9:51 am     Reply with quote

Scored nice session a while back at wickiup. Camped on reservoir, glassy all day then wind turned on for afternoon/ evening. See avatar to left as evidence. Pretty fun, we were there late July so no wetsuit required. Every year we say we're gonna go back. Really cool place. Nice score!

MotoFoo86

Since 12 Sep 2015
11 Posts

PostThu May 12, 16 2:31 pm     Reply with quote

How's the water temp?

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu May 12, 16 5:27 pm     Reply with quote

I've been kiting Wickiup for about 5 years now with my fair share of skunkage. I'm 170# and ride a 5'8" Celeritas there. The kites I ride there are 14(50%), 12(40%) and 17(10%). The season is limited by cold water and snow early on and stumps when it gets too shallow. I like to launch from the south shore beaches, but you can launch from the dam too if the wind is right. I think the season is May- July, although I know you could get some sessions later in the year by the dam. Water temp right now is mid 50's- I was in a 5/4 and my wore a 4/3. I follow ikite wind forecast for Wickiup and look for NW13 or better. Wunderground needs to show at least NW10-20 for Wickiup Dam. I also like the aviation forecast that show a good spike of close to 20 or > around 5pm. Peak wind seems to be 3-7pm. And most importantly, bring a backup activity- sup, fish, dog, book, beer... I still prefer the gorge or coast of I have the time but local scores are always nice.

Cheers!

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu May 12, 16 7:11 pm     Reply with quote

Love that photo !!!!!
Mag cover for sure

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Aug 25, 20 2:03 pm    Wickiup looking a bit dry Reply with quote

So I was fortunate enough to be offered a ride on a small plane and take a bird's eye view of the Three Sisters Wilderness area and the lakes nearby.

A few days before the flight, I was doing a downriver SUP float from just below the Wickiup Dam that spills into the Deschutes. Of course when we started the winds really pickup which got the kiting juices flowing. I had the gear in the car, but was with a pack of non-kiters--got to choose your battles wisely. Anyways it got me thinking about kiting Wickiup and the various other lakes in the area.

From all my research and personal visits to many of the lakes, Wickiup is the best choice for success. I think Crescent Lake is up there too. I've been on Paulina Lake too when the west/ SW wind pickup up and a downwinder from the boat launch on the SW shore to the day use area on the east side would work too; with a foil and boat support wouldn't hurt. Have not timed it right and had gear in the car for that one.

Anyways, back to Wickiup, the second shot shows the dam and the Deschutes river. I believe people launch around there; especially when the waters are higher.

Wickiup2resized.jpg 
   Wickiup1resized.jpg 

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 25, 20 4:52 pm     Reply with quote

Sasquatch,

Prior to covid, I'd kite Wickiup a few times each spring when the wind was good and there was plenty of water. But with covid limiting access and travel, I hit Wickiup up a dozen+ times this year. In years past, I would get skunked 60% of the time. But now with a foil, it's rare. Look for a short range forecast (within 12 hours) that shows 12mph+ predicted. The last few times I drove my truck from the boat ramp to the shore line with a launch off my hitch. It felt like Jones, but more moon-llke! So far, I haven't run into any submerged stumps or rocks when I stay near the dam. I seem to see into another kiter about half the time which is totally new. Best lakes for kiting are Wickiup and Crescent in the Bend area. Also, Wickiup is a 45min drive door to launch. But if you have access to a dock or are brave enough to drift launch near shore, Odell is the windiest. I think Odell will open up once I jump on the winging bandwagon.

Cheers!

KOF

Since 30 Mar 2011
51 Posts
Seattle

PostTue Aug 25, 20 9:46 pm     Reply with quote

Yo. I’ve kited Wickiup probably 20 times this year but lately due to low water levels have been kiting Odell. If you have a foil one can actually get quite a few sessions in from late April to early Oct. If there’s high pressure and a 6+ temp diff between La Pine and Eugene it’s on!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: