Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ouch Bad Wreck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Jan 25, 16 11:00 am    Ouch Bad Wreck. Reply with quote

https://vimeo.com/152792946
[youtube]https://vimeo.com/152792946[/youtube]

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Jan 25, 16 12:54 pm     Reply with quote

oh dood. Sad

jereamon

Since 26 Feb 2013
1 Posts

PostMon Jan 25, 16 8:46 pm     Reply with quote

Ahhhhhh, I can't stop watching it.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Jan 26, 16 1:08 am     Reply with quote

yep that would of hurt.

But so would of this. . . http://video-embed.oregonlive.com/services/player/bcpid1949055967001?bctid=4719720784001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAPLpuSqE~,a1DdoZJH5WQo4iWaJj1w_CktvJfhQVVG

Shores Acres I believe.

Maybe the bar/south jetty of the Coos River?

Last edited by Sasquatch on Wed Jan 27, 16 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostTue Jan 26, 16 9:32 am     Reply with quote

NOT SHORE ACRES

TROLL.jpg 

daveS

Since 23 Jul 2007
101 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jan 26, 16 11:41 pm     Reply with quote

Guy kites 10 feet upwind of a rocky outcropping and eats it. Kinda feel like he is asking for a Darwin award.

wood

Since 21 Jan 2013
64 Posts

PostWed Jan 27, 16 5:47 pm     Reply with quote

Yes have to know what is down wind from you. Also looks like he held on to the bar. i know things happen fast just let go. Be safe!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Jan 27, 16 6:29 pm     Reply with quote

wood wrote:
Also looks like he held on to the bar. i know things happen fast just let go. Be safe!

After the initial crash, let go or hang on with BOTH hands in neutral, but definitely don't hang on with one hand and power loop into the rocks. He let's go after the power loop starts but by then (unless you're unhooked) it doesn't do much good.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostWed Jan 27, 16 9:01 pm     Reply with quote

It was his board caught in the steering line that caused the loop.

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jan 28, 16 12:15 pm    Plan A, B & C Reply with quote

Occupied Columbia wrote:
It was his board caught in the steering line that caused the loop.

Great Video Post!

The Helpful Takeaway:
The stop motion views show "Plan A" the hand grasp release from the bar happens fairly quick. The freak occurrence of the board clipping the steering line causing a probable kite loop (not shown) that powers the rock garden tour.

This is a great reminder of the reaction time required to trigger
“Plan B” (releasing the chicken loop). Or...
"Plan C" if that flying line gets fully snagged. See Posts: Death Loop Spiral Survival

Question: Would the immediate “Plan B” release of the chicken loop have depowered that kite loop fast enough to prevent rock-garden body surfing?

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Jan 28, 16 2:42 pm    Re: Plan A, B & C Reply with quote

Kmun wrote:

Question: Would the immediate “Plan B” release of the chicken loop have depowered that kite loop fast enough to prevent rock-garden body surfing?

Probably not. When he got dunked he could have pulled the pin and it might have helped somewhat but it happens so fast it's safe to say he was going for a rash ride no matter how quickly he released.

Plus, as previously stated, riding that close to a rocky jetty puts a lot of doubt into his "quick release" skills. Dude was in it to win it the whole time. Smile

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Jan 28, 16 4:42 pm     Reply with quote

I still contend the F-16 was initiated before the board snag. He puts his forward hand out to break his fall and keeps a lot of pressure on that back hand. By the time the board snags the line, he's already yarding back out of the water.

I had my own death yarding on my first 2-line. This shit haunts me. Shocked
Good on ya Chris for posting.

Don't put it on a freak board snag...he got distracted from the initial fall and put his kite into a back loop. Scary. Shocked Shocked

firstfall.jpg 

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Feb 16, 16 9:44 pm     Reply with quote

Another fun one. Ouch Again.
https://www.rightthisminute.com/video/rtmtv-kiteboarder-crash-land-dragged-ouch-fail#ooid=U2MjF0MDE6Ds1S4Q1H577hLQ6guzN-oW

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Feb 18, 16 8:07 pm     Reply with quote

The guy takes the cake. Amazing he is alive. [url] http://www.sessionsports.com/#!Kitesurfer-flies-over-a-5-story-building-inland-300-yards-and-lands-on-a-roof/dpx0n/56c638400cf2d76542b2f650[/url]

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Feb 22, 16 9:01 pm     Reply with quote

Happened to me up at Skyline! Coming back from the ridge (road - Skyline Drive South) I was at that perfect over speed slightly downwind angle over bumps not meant to be taken fast. So over I went into an epic forward roll that I had not planned.

Next thing I know, the bar is caught behind my high-back of my snowboard binding. The kite is looping but now that I am stopped and have no apparent wind, the wind feels lighter in the 15m kite even though it is looping uncontrollably. I really freaked out when I realized the situation - that the QR would do NOTHING to help me. I could have reeled in some of the 5th line to kill the kite anD the leader is 1/8th" Amsteel for a ways up. But I just calmed down a bit and somehow worked the bar free from my high back. Still had my heart racing to the point of not knowing what exactly happened, but this video (first one) explains it all.

I miss Skyline.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: