Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hooking in with Ride Engine Harness.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSat Nov 07, 15 8:46 am    Re: waist harness Reply with quote

jayala wrote:
Besides fashion and lower back comfort is there a technical reason to use a waist harness over a seat harness? Does a waist harness help jibe a directional?

Yes it technically does not squeeze my nuts and that is a huge benefit:-)

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Nov 07, 15 9:53 am     Reply with quote

a seat harness generally has a lower hook hight which usually means it tends to lock up your hip movement a bit but allows you to hold down more power and ride overpowered more comfortably. Waist harness has a higher hook and allows more movement in the hips but a bit less movement in the upper body. If you get used to the waist it tends to make your body position when riding better, as well, and it also allows more adjustment to kite when the lines are starting to slack by moving your upper body that the seat does not. BUT, it is all fairly minor compared to the comfort level. When a harness of either type fits right and is doing what you want, you should not even know you are wearing it. If it is bothering you, change it somehow....

jayala

Since 30 Apr 2013
115 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostSat Nov 07, 15 12:33 pm     Reply with quote

Good explanation. Thanks. Waist harnesses hurt my back and I always wondered what I was missing.

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Nov 18, 15 7:13 pm     Reply with quote

Going to pull the trigger on a harness this week.
Should I go Team Series or Hex?? I do not live near a kite shop to see them first hand so I am asking for some feedback from those who have.

wjb

Since 14 Aug 2007
223 Posts
Nor Cal
Stoked

PostWed Nov 18, 15 7:34 pm     Reply with quote

lineman wrote:
Should I go Team Series or Hex?? I do not live near a kite shop to see them first hand so I am asking for some feedback from those who have.

Me too. This question /\ as well as wanting to know peoples sizing experiences. I am a 34-35" waist and there seems to be a toss up between large and medium fitting others the best.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Nov 18, 15 11:00 pm     Reply with quote

wjb wrote:
lineman wrote:

Me too. This question /\ as well as wanting to know peoples sizing experiences. I am a 34-35" waist and there seems to be a toss up between large and medium fitting others the best.

I cant comment on the sizing, but I was able to do a side by side comparison between the Hex and a Custom Engine harness. the Hex is not as stiff. It was noticeable but not significant IMHO. Aside fron stiffness and build materials in the Hex, the only other difference from the other Engine models is the weight. I dont think the weight really matters for 99% of riders. Drink one less PBR and you have more than made up for the difference in weight. I would by the Hex unless you had $$ to burn and wanted one of the stiffer models.

What was more interesting to me was that the shape of the Hex harness was the same as my custom. I could not see the difference. I will probably buy the Hex if something happens to my harness. No need for the custom premium charge.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostFri Nov 20, 15 9:38 am     Reply with quote

Super comfy harness after I used it.
Last edited by Justsmile on Mon Dec 07, 15 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Nov 20, 15 10:39 am    Feedback after 18 days of kiting in Maui waves. Reply with quote

I have the hex series. I bought it new in October.
I wear 33 pants and have a flat stomach (stomach measures 35ish).
My harness is a medium with a 10 inch slider and it fits perfect.
I have the adjustment straps pulled in almost all the way - I could see where they could be let out for a larger person.
Dog Patrol states that a medium is too small for a 35. I'm guessing his stomach is actually 37 or more? (not saying your fat but almost everyone's stomach is a couple inches larger than your pants waist size).
I've now used the harness for 18 straight days of kiting in Maui waves.
I've been windsurfing and kiting for 30 years and I've owned many many harnesses (chest, seat, waist).
This harness is easily the most versatile and comfortable harness I've ever used.
It stays locked in place. It doesn't ride up nor slide from side to side.
It stays tight and does not loosen even after 3 hour sessions.
The slider rope works great allowing me to rotate when riding toeside or contorting my body while trying to surf waves.

I'm a happy customer!

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostFri Nov 20, 15 11:01 am    Re: Feedback after 18 days of kiting in Maui waves. Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
I have the hex series. I bought it new in October.
I wear 33 pants and have a flat stomach (stomach measures 35ish).
My harness is a medium with a 10 inch slider and it fits perfect.
I have the adjustment straps pulled in almost all the way - I could see where they could be let out for a larger person.
Dog Patrol states that a medium is too small for a 35. I'm guessing his stomach is actually 37 or more? (not saying your fat but almost everyone's stomach is a couple inches larger than your pants waist size).
I've now used the harness for 18 straight days of kiting in Maui waves.
I've been windsurfing and kiting for 30 years and I've owned many many harnesses (chest, seat, waist).
This harness is easily the most versatile and comfortable harness I've ever used.
It stays locked in place. It doesn't ride up nor slide from side to side.
It stays tight and does not loosen even after 3 hour sessions.
The slider rope works great allowing me to rotate when riding toeside or contorting my body while trying to surf waves.

I'm a happy customer!

called me fat. I think I resemble more of a silver back gorilla:-). better watch out when you hear fat man coming in!!! you will know who it is:-) Glad you are still stoked on the harness.

did you go with the metal slider or carbon slider. any idea why one would use the carbon. My experience with carbon fiber and paddles is they are super strong until stressed and then pop.. Anyone know if the carbon will work with the hex cor series. On the website they recommend the metal bar for it. anyone know why!!!

Last edited by Justsmile on Fri Nov 20, 15 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

wjb

Since 14 Aug 2007
223 Posts
Nor Cal
Stoked

PostFri Nov 20, 15 11:07 am     Reply with quote

Good point about measuring around the belly. I did remember that was how you were supposed to measure but I don't see that mentioned on the new website. I wear a 34" pants but when I measure my belly...well maybe too many beers in the off season Shocked it looks like it's a large for me Cool

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Nov 20, 15 5:32 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys, I went with a large hex & 10in metal spreader with rope.
Think Ill try it as is then see if I need a ring or hook. Guys at kiteshop said most people are going hex.

nealm

Since 19 Jul 2012
41 Posts
North Coast/White Salmon

PostSat Nov 21, 15 8:13 pm     Reply with quote

I'm really interested in getting one of these harnesses for kiting in the surf, but wondering with the chicken loop directly connected how do you guys deal with a situation where you want to use an anchor to self land your kite if needed? Been a number of times where there's no one else on the beach where I come in and I'm too overpowered to do a self landing of the kite while attached, handy to quickly transfer the kite to driftwood or a pre-set anchor. Seems like using a snap hook would be the only way to go for this?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Nov 22, 15 11:39 am     Reply with quote

I've been using a quick link like one of these.
I have about 12 sessions on it and it works great.
http://www.stanleyhardware.com/detail/64-7340-quick-link-s647-340

I use it for Cabrinha kites - their bar does not allow you to open the chicken loop.

nealm wrote:
I'm really interested in getting one of these harnesses for kiting in the surf, but wondering with the chicken loop directly connected how do you guys deal with a situation where you want to use an anchor to self land your kite if needed? Been a number of times where there's no one else on the beach where I come in and I'm too overpowered to do a self landing of the kite while attached, handy to quickly transfer the kite to driftwood or a pre-set anchor. Seems like using a snap hook would be the only way to go for this?

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostFri Dec 04, 15 4:44 pm    Slider rope Reply with quote

Can't wait to get out on the water with it ! How long would you use the rope for before changing it out? Solid product

Last edited by Justsmile on Mon Dec 07, 15 12:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Dec 04, 15 7:45 pm     Reply with quote

Shocked Bro deal just left the building!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Dec 05, 15 1:16 pm     Reply with quote

c
Last edited by ldhr on Mon Dec 07, 15 4:25 pm; edited 3 times in total

wjb

Since 14 Aug 2007
223 Posts
Nor Cal
Stoked

PostSat Dec 05, 15 1:38 pm     Reply with quote

What specifically is the issue these two guys had? And what does the plastic piece do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: