Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Help with threading stopper ball on Cabrinah Kite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Aug 29, 15 3:08 pm    Help with threading stopper ball on Cabrinah Kite Reply with quote

So i was at the coast a few weeks ago and self landing i blew the stopper off my 2015 Cabrina overdrive bar (see 2nd pix). I am trying to thread this on but can not get my center line to go through the opening on the ball (also see 2nd pix). I am using a smaller thread to try and pull it through, i have soaked the line as well. It is the connection that wont pass through.

Eventually the stopper comes down and seats below the metal clasp (see first pix). This set up allows for the release of the kite when in trouble.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

bar 1 a.jpg 
   bar 2 (480x640) (480x640).jpg 

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 29, 15 6:57 pm     Reply with quote

It sure looks doable. Have you tried wrapping the line you're trying to feed around a fixed object... pulling on the feeder line and twisting the stopper at the same time?

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Aug 30, 15 9:11 am     Reply with quote

^^^OK, sounded like that would work. Just tried it with some wire. Tied the center line off then tied the wire around the loop. No go. I even lubed up the rope. It just wont go through.
Im getting pissed. I ended up buying a 2016 bar which is so much nicer. Does have all that shit around it. here are the pix. let me know if you have any other suggestions.

First pick is your suggestion. Second pic is the size of the small diamter hole and the large end of the center line. Keep in mind i have taken the lead off of the the center line.
Thanks

bar 3.JPG 
   bar 4.JPG 

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSun Aug 30, 15 7:11 pm     Reply with quote

Try this except with the line instead of a finger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSq_7e6DJMg

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 02, 15 1:58 am     Reply with quote

blancoh2o wrote:

Tried it, but didn't work

bgkiter

Since 20 Oct 2008
88 Posts

PostWed Sep 02, 15 3:06 am     Reply with quote

skideeppow wrote:
blancoh2o wrote:

Tried it, but didn't work

get a strip of canopy material - a long narrow strip like the ones they used to use to tie the kites in the bag. feed that through the hole. then wrap the line inside it at the other end and pull through. Should work if it is meant to go through.

V

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Sep 02, 15 7:02 am     Reply with quote

I would try a smaller diameter "blue" string. Something like a 50# or 100# spectra should work. I'd larkshead the "blue" string around a screwdriver, then stand on it, then pull holding onto the black piece you are trying to feed through.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 02, 15 8:18 am     Reply with quote

sfbomber wrote:
I would try a smaller diameter "blue" string. Something like a 50# or 100# spectra should work. I'd larkshead the "blue" string around a screwdriver, then stand on it, then pull holding onto the black piece you are trying to feed through.

Thanks, i have tried this as well. I think i need a new center line and thread it from the bottom.

gunn

Since 02 Sep 2015
2 Posts

PostWed Sep 02, 15 8:21 am     Reply with quote

I just replaced a full set of lines on a 2015 bar. I used the elastic from the replacement line winder to thread that line thru the stopper. Put one end of elastic thru the stopper. Thread thru the eye of the line then back thru the stopper. When you pull the elastic it gets thinner and the line goes thru the stopper like butter.
HTH

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 02, 15 8:25 am     Reply with quote

You could “bump” this kiteforum thread for advice:

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2387057

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 02, 15 8:41 am     Reply with quote

gunn wrote:
I just replaced a full set of lines on a 2015 bar. I used the elastic from the replacement line winder to thread that line thru the stopper. Put one end of elastic thru the stopper. Thread thru the eye of the line then back thru the stopper. When you pull the elastic it gets thinner and the line goes thru the stopper like butter.
HTH

I dont know what the elastic from the line winder is.
Sounds like the way to go. How does it pull the line through tho, there is just no way i see it fitting.

gunn

Since 02 Sep 2015
2 Posts

PostWed Sep 02, 15 10:08 am     Reply with quote

use a similar thin elastic. thread one end thru the stopper, then the eye of the line, then back thru the stopper. hold both ends of the elastic and pull the line thru the stopper.

The elastic on the corner of the winder.
 The elastic on the corner of the winder.  IMG_0667.JPG 

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 02, 15 1:15 pm     Reply with quote

ive been trying to thread through the kite side of the line, when i should have taken the line off the bar. If i can figure out how to disconnect that line, should be pretty east.

Thanks

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Sep 03, 15 6:33 am     Reply with quote

Thanks to the guys from the Neil Pryde Group. Got this completed with their help.

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 03, 15 6:48 am     Reply with quote

So... what was the secret?

Did you just feed the line through from the other end of the line?

Surely other kiters will need to know how to do this.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Sep 03, 15 7:30 am     Reply with quote

yes, i took the bungy that runs through the depower mechanism. threaded the stopper that way then ran it back through the depower into the chicken loop.
I would have never tried it that way. But it ended up being pretty easy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: