Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Amazing Rescue Footage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Dec 18, 14 1:20 pm    Amazing Rescue Footage Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBRv3J26wiyi_003RygvAVg

Wow!!

Amazing how instinctively both victims, especially the boy grab the bar.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Dec 18, 14 9:57 pm     Reply with quote

Pretty cool! Thanks for the post!

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostFri Dec 19, 14 10:22 am    careful with rescues Reply with quote

That chubby kid put a death lock grip on that bar! Every time I've rescued someone in distress in the water, they've tried to drown me. Gotta be careful with a panicked or drowning person.
Good job!!!!!

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Dec 19, 14 10:34 am     Reply with quote

First Rule: Keep yourself safe!!!! This also applies with kayaking and most other rescue situations. I have let swimmers tire themselves out first, so they would not drown me.

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Dec 20, 14 6:43 pm    Re: careful with rescues Reply with quote

dangler wrote:
Every time I've rescued someone in distress in the water, they've tried to drown me. Gotta be careful with a panicked or drowning person.

When I went through lifeguard training many years ago, the instructor said "a drowning person wants to be standing on your hand, 3ft above the water". There have been cases of small kids falling overboard while boating. Parent jumps in to save them; they later find the two drowned together, kid with a death-lock around the parents throat. Watching the footage, especially of the kid, I was reminded of those lessons. That terrified kid wasn't going to listen to anyone. Kiter had the right idea though... b-line it for shore. They will let go when they feel solid ground under their feet, but ya, how scary is that lock on the bar in the meantime? Shocked

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSun Dec 21, 14 5:37 am     Reply with quote

Drowning kid has promising kiting style - unhooked and full dangle Thumb's Up

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSun Dec 21, 14 6:53 am    Re: careful with rescues Reply with quote

D-Krep It Kiter wrote:
When I went through lifeguard training many years ago, the instructor said "a drowning person wants to be standing on your hand, 3ft above the water".

This is so true! As a rescue diver we are taught to approach slowly and make sure they are not panicking and If they come at you DIVE and swim back. With a kite I think I'd try to hold short and and give them instructions to hold my harness handle and make sure they understood and agreed.

It's real easy to become a victim yourself with a panicked person trying to use you as a rescue float.

www.freeridekiting.com

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostSun Dec 21, 14 7:58 am     Reply with quote

After years of life guarding on the coast, I have learned to be wary of drowning people. They are fighting for their lives and have no problem heading for high ground... usually that's me. In this situation I would have given the drowning people my surfboard (this should calm them a bit) then my leash which would be attached to my hip, and then pull them in.
As a side note, can't tell you how glad people are to see me until they touch the bottom, then they can be embarrassed and want away....

Ps PROPS to that kiter!

www.naishkites.com

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Dec 21, 14 3:23 pm     Reply with quote

Great post... I have rescued many kite surfers. But a drowning non kiter is a different scenario as the video suggests.

It is interesting to note, in this video, that the drowning victim will go to the bar first before climbing on your shoulders and pushing you under.

Excellent rescue by the rider and important comments made that we should all note carefully for next time.....

-A.K.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: