Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

LOST Cabrinha kite near the Wunderbar 7/30

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
slacker

Since 26 Apr 2008
32 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Jul 31, 14 8:52 am    LOST Cabrinha kite near the Wunderbar 7/30 Reply with quote

Hello Everyone

A friend of mine got wrapped up with someone yesterday, punched out from his kite and the other guy got towed in with 2 kites... Now my buddy can't seem to track his kite down.

Please let me know if you got his Red and Yellow 2013 7m Drifter.

541 380 1958

Thanks

samaritan

Since 31 Jul 2014
6 Posts

Kook

PostThu Jul 31, 14 7:39 pm     Reply with quote

This is what I just sent to Greg in the LOST and FOUND section:

I'VE GOT YOUR KITE and YOUR BAR.
...and everything's IN PERFECT ORDER
...but ONLY because:

1) After your conniption fit when I told you to "work with me and we can work it all out" & you dumped your leading edge & deserted the scene -not checking in or telling me what the F*&%* you were up to or where you were going -leading me to fend for myself, I wrapped the whole mess up (2 kites and 2 bars and of course lines & more lines) around both kite's struts and I started rescuing myself.
2) Conner from Colorado warned me of the approaching barge and went to grab my board, and stayed close so the captain would see his hovering kite.
3) Aaron from Cascade Sailboards also saw the barge & was nice enough to tow me in out of the lane with me holding onto everything, including your gear.
4) Safe on the Wunderbar, I looked for you & asked people if they'd seen you, but you had disappeared, so I folded all your Sh%$t up and took it with me.
5) My buddy Robert drove me, the kites (and the bars still all hooked up) back the Event Site to my car and loaded it all up.
6) I asked Amy collecting $5 bills at the Event Site parking lot Port Office if anyone had been asking for a 7M Cabrina. Her response: NO.
7) Once home, I laid the rats nest out on my basement carpet floor and spent about 1-1/2 hours going through it all.
I spent another 1/2 hour after work today running your lines out checking to see that nothing had been stretched or burred and pumped your kite up to be sure there was no damage: Since after all, you volunteered all your gear to me & it has been in my safe keeping & I don't want you coming back at me.

So, when you're 30 yards behind and up wind of me (what, coming down out of a jump? I don't know), no-one looking back is ever going to see you... Sometimes it get's crowded, and it's a wild river out there, so leave a little more space next time, but (& here's the kicker) to just completely leave the scene? And, not just the water, but the nearest beach too? and not to leave a trail for me to follow? If it had not been for my inquiries at the White Salmon Bridge Wunderbar, I would have taken you for drowned.

In the vehicle world if you leave the scene of an accident, you get thrown in the clink. In the maritime world if you abandon your ship (or in this case your kite and your bar) and I pull it off the rocks (in this case risking all by schleping it all in), I get to keep it... So Greg, you're lucky I'm a good samaritan, and I'd never put you or anyone else through that, but I want you to acknowledge you've got to be a better participant in what I'll call "the village."

Send me your temp address in Hood River or your permanent one in Whistler, Cananda and I'll FedEX it to you. I don't live in HR and that's probably the quickest way for you to get it. If you'd like, I'll even pay for overnight shipping and let's just say you can buy me a beer sometime. Even with overnight, the earliest you're going to get it is Saturday 8/2 though.

Cheers!

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 31, 14 7:57 pm     Reply with quote

Embarassed
Case of beer and 30 days wearing a flashing "KOOK ALERT" sign and all is forgiven!

Punching out in a tangle is not cool, unless its the ONLY option. Then it has to be mutually!

Nice save , Sam Aritan!

Mitch_Buchannon.jpg 

Last edited by dangler on Fri Aug 01, 14 11:04 am; edited 3 times in total

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 01, 14 10:21 am     Reply with quote

Maybe it was not supposed to be found... New Cabrinha gear came out on 8/1 Wink

Awesome assistance samaritan!

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Aug 01, 14 8:53 pm     Reply with quote

Samaritan is a better person then I... I applaud him. I would have wanted to find that person purely to read him the riot act!

One would hope in such situation BOTH parties would recognize the inherent danger and work together for the safe return of both. It is sad when people don't value life because what he did demonstrated his lack therefore. He must think there's an afterlife cuz this one doesn't seem all that important to him. Or, maybe he cares so little about his impact on the world because he just might be a talented gift to humanity and thusly is so much more important then anyone else. He's obviously not much of a thinker either...I can imagine the excuses he has....I was scared, I was confused, I've only been kiting for x years, blah...blah

My preverbal hat goes off to you Samaritan. Thanks for being a good/honest peep and doing the right thing.

Rant over...

samaritan

Since 31 Jul 2014
6 Posts

Kook

PostSat Aug 02, 14 1:16 pm    NOT kook, rather Kook Katcher Reply with quote

Greg: ...Your Kite is on its way back from Bend, OR... $21.35 was the cost for purchasing a box and sending your gear on its way to Big Winds care of Ben. Turns out I know Ben well, and he's set me up over the years with all sorts of kite stuff! It should arrive TUES. -that is the earliest I could get it to you since no-one ships on Sunday, and overnight from Monday means Tues. arrival there in HR.

Please go by Cascade Kiteboarding there on your right by the Port Office when you enter the Event Site and give Aaron a 12pack of beer for his towing efforts! I will check with Aaron to be sure you've fulfilled your obligation to the kiting community.

As for me... We can go shred the glass again at the WS bridge, but next time please give me more space.
'Best.
-Doug Knight

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Aug 03, 14 5:55 pm     Reply with quote

Are you missing a bar and lines ?

samaritan

Since 31 Jul 2014
6 Posts

Kook

PostSun Aug 03, 14 9:30 pm    NOT kook, rather Kook Katcher Reply with quote

...Greg's Bar & lines are in the box too. Laughing

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Aug 04, 14 1:13 pm     Reply with quote

So if you get in a tangle, regardless of who's fault it is, how could you possible untangle?
Or is it a matter of just staying there and someone takes the boards and the other person manages the kites?
Would love to know, just in case.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Aug 04, 14 3:14 pm     Reply with quote

Last year someone posted a good video on what to do when two kiters tangle. It was a demonstration and pretty good.

First and foremost - don't panic,

Maybe someone can find that video?? and repost

www.freeridekiting.com

seafrail

Since 29 Mar 2011
10 Posts

PostMon Aug 04, 14 4:33 pm     Reply with quote

Typically when I tangle with someone (usually friends messing around too close together) one kite is wrapped around the other so you just have to swim a circle around the kiter that you wrapped around and you are free!If the kites are both down this involves swimming under or over the other persons lines. Or dive thru the lines if you flew your kite thru his. The one time it was with a beginner and he was uncomfortable with that we organized to release our safety's at the same time and then staying together proceeded to work down the lines to our kites.(this is probably more safe) As long as one person doesn't release on his own, you stay calm, stay together, and you are prepared to pull your leash release just in case it goes pretty smoothly. I don't think I explained that very well and I'm sure some people disagree with my techniques but it's worked for me every time.

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 04, 14 8:50 pm     Reply with quote

First and formost, spend your time coordinating your actions and formulating a plan....NOT fixing blame. If you have to cut some lines...DO IT. Carry a kite knife!

Each scenario is different. Work together on solving the problem. If you both have to release to you safety, then, do it at the same time...like on the count of 3... pop!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: