Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Midwest Couple Looking to Move to Oregon
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Ripshade04

Since 20 Nov 2011
11 Posts
WI

PostWed Jul 30, 14 7:40 am    Midwest Couple Looking to Move to Oregon Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

A couple here looking to move to Oregon. I've been there once and she's been there several times. We both love the state and are trying to figure out where to move to. We're planning on visiting for about 2 weeks early september. No official itinerary yet.

We're both into kiting, surfing, SUPing, Fishing, Hunting, hiking, camping, climbing, Mtn biking, home brewing (wine, cider, & mead), gardening, and bee keeping.

I've been kiting for 10 years and her about 4. We're both IKO certified and taught in PR for 6 months.

I've been a freelancer since 2006 doing photo, video, graphic and web design while she's an architect and in the past year turned into a portrait/family photographer.

A link to my website - www.ryanhainey.com
A link to her website - www.erikaleephotography.com

Any advice on places to check out for moving to, potential places to look at hitting up for work, etc. would be greatly appreciated! Not sure when we would move out there, probably next year but if we could get some jobs lined up then it would be definitely sooner than later. Regardless it would be nice to make some connections before heading out there.

Cheers,

Ryan

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostWed Jul 30, 14 7:54 am     Reply with quote

A lot of people will say Hood River area. It does have its appeal with kiting right out your back door and mountain activities close by. When there is no wind in the gorge - you have a longer drive to the other spots in Oregon. There are 3 main areas for wind - gorge, Jones Beach, coast. At least one of those spots is going almost all summer long.

I prefer the Portland area because it puts you in the middle of those 3 spots. More jobs in Portland. Closer to surfing. More SUP locations close to the Portland metro area.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 30, 14 9:12 am     Reply with quote

Columbia River gorge area which includes both Oregon and Washington.... around Hood River, OR and White Salmon, WA.
All your interests will be in your backyard within a 15 minute drive. Including more than 20 breweries and cider houses.
It checks all the boxes for your interests - except surfing. That's a 3 hour drive to the coast.
Lots of web design firms in Hood Rive (blue collar interactive, locus interactive).

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 30, 14 9:14 am     Reply with quote

I'm going to add that you should also consider looking into the north side of the river (washington state) as well. plenty of towns that mirror what's on the water on the oregon side.

dyyylan

Since 14 May 2014
26 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Jul 30, 14 9:59 am     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
I'm going to add that you should also consider looking into the north side of the river (washington state) as well. plenty of towns that mirror what's on the water on the oregon side.

and no state income tax! Very Happy

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostWed Jul 30, 14 10:24 am     Reply with quote

Agreed - the Washington side of the Columbia in Vancouver, Ridgefield, Camas, Washougal areas are growing steadily, especially out in the Camas/Washougal areas. These locations give you about a 50-60 minute drive to Hood River, 45-50 minutes to Stevenson (WA), quick access to Portland via I-205 and SR-14, and will still be within 2-2.5 hours drive from the North coast. Pretty ideal for the I-like-to-do-everything types, which you seem to be.

I would not recommend living on the West side of Vancouver and commuting into Portland on a daily basis for work as the traffic snarl is terrible in the afternoon (going from Portland back into Vancouver via I-5). The reverse, living in Portland and working in Vancouver, is not bad (although you get hosed on the State Tax situation Razz ) But basically, I-205 is a much better conduit for traversing between Portland and Vancouver, in general.

AlterEgo

Since 25 Jul 2014
6 Posts

Kook

PostWed Jul 30, 14 11:44 am     Reply with quote

Have you ever been to the Gorge in the winter? If not, I'd recommend experiencing that first before fully committing...or else breweries and cider houses will become your best friend and worst enemy.

Ripshade04

Since 20 Nov 2011
11 Posts
WI

PostWed Jul 30, 14 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for all who've replied already. I greatly appreciate the tips!

I was thinking about somewhere more around the portland area because of the jobs and I would like to be closer to the ocean but really we're open.

I have some friends who live in Washington state and they love it. I'd consider that too. The no income tax is pretty interesting. I will have to look into that further.

AlterEgo, I'm sure the winters in the Gorge are no worse than Wisconsin. This past winter we got down -40 degrees with a consistent -20 degree wind chill for couple of weeks. Wisconsin is notorious for boozing, so I should be okay. The best surf in Wisconsin is during the winter so I have no problem with cold water and air. As long as the water wasn't frozen and there were waves we'd go out. Might have to dodge a few ice chunks but at least it was a temporary fix for the addiction. Would prefer not to do that anymore.

As far as cost of living how do Oregon and Washington compare? Last time I looked I think Portland was a little more expensive than Milwaukee.

Are there any bad or sketchy parts of Oregon & Washington we should stay away from?

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostWed Jul 30, 14 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

Ripshade04 wrote:

Are there any bad or sketchy parts of Oregon & Washington we should stay away from?

Most of Gresham Twisted Evil . Well, mostly the areas between I-205 and Gresham.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 30, 14 12:22 pm     Reply with quote

The higher paying jobs/clients are West of the Willamette but it's a little piece of California traffic-wise if you go to Beaverton. I live in inner SE and it has lots of freelancers to network with and it's 60 min door to Event site. Hood is 1.5-2 hours. The coast is 2 hours though. If I was coming to the area, I would rent in Portland until I could find a job in Hood River then stay in Portland when you don't. That's what I did!

SimPistol

Since 13 Jan 2011
52 Posts
Gold Beach/Pistol River

PostWed Jul 30, 14 2:43 pm     Reply with quote

The southern coast of Oregon is amazing for damn near everything on your list of activities. However, unless you cook really good meth, you'll probably have a hard time finding work...and friends under 60. Please...come check us out...we're lonely down here.

AKkiter

Since 31 Aug 2008
181 Posts
Montavilla
Stoked

PostWed Jul 30, 14 3:51 pm     Reply with quote

My wife and I moved to Northeast Portland from Alaska three years ago and though the first year was tough -finding jobs, connecting with folks, learning the area- the rest you can say is history- we love Portland and will be here awhile.
Both Northeast and Southeast Portland neighborhoods are cool, but we are partial to the Mt.Tabor area as it is centrally located to some really cool pubs, restaurants and yet is quiet and feels safe. Also, it is worth noting being a kiter and surfer it is great to be 3mins from I-84 highway and able to go East to kite or West to surf on a whim and not really have to wind your way through a bunch of neighborhoods before actually starting your drive.

I think with your talents and professions you will do fine here, but keep in mind there are alot and I really mean alot of likeminded talented people in all professions here who want the same lifestyle you seek so starting those networking skills is smart on your part. Best of luck- Cheers!

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
881 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostWed Jul 30, 14 8:25 pm     Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't live anywhere but the coast, but it can be difficult to find jobs and carve out an existence here. Your list of things to do can all be found here in the coastal towns and surrounding areas. Surfing is the main thing that is difficult to score unless you live here as the sandbars are fickle and hard to get it good unless you have been watching the conditions and know where to go.

If you want jobs and decent income, then Portland is probably your best bet. However, you will be a road and weekend warrior, and spending a lot of time pounding down the highway.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostThu Jul 31, 14 5:38 am     Reply with quote

If I was to move from midwest to northwest again Washington side of the river would be the ticket.
The Gorge winters are a commuting issue more than too cold.
Winter does not exist as you know it here.

Rent for a year and get it figured out.

If you want to kite the ocean then your jobs would allow living there and that would be a longer commute to the mtn for shredding pow. Best to live a mile from the beach to avoid fog and get out of wind for a minute.

Best to be centrally located between your favorite sports and then consider your work to.

jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
216 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostThu Jul 31, 14 9:31 am    moving west Reply with quote

September is a great time to visit but not a good example of winter. It is long and wet, not in a good way. eastern Oregon is drier and sunnier. Agree that proximity to PDX is valuable and housing is more affordable. Hood river is hard to find housing or jobs.
No doubt you will fall in love when you get here.

Rich
Kansas refugee.

Ripshade04

Since 20 Nov 2011
11 Posts
WI

PostThu Jul 31, 14 10:23 am     Reply with quote

Seriously thank you everyone! We're very excited to get out there in September! I will definitely put a line out and see if we can link up with some of you. Erika and I are currently in the planning stages of the trip but I will keep you all posted. We'll probably be bringing out our blue heeler, Griffin along with camping gear so if you have any recommendations that'd be awesome.

I know we've camped at Tucker Park in hood, somewhere in the Mt Hood National forest by Zig Zag (amazing place, waterfalls every 50 yards), A campsite by the river near Canon beach, and then I think it was Nehalem Bay State Park in Manzanita which was pretty cool too.

We'd like to surf if possible, Erika has a connection in or around Willamette that we might hit up, depending on the weather and wind maybe Hood River.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSat Aug 02, 14 6:47 am     Reply with quote

I moved to White Salmon from Mn. 11 years ago, thinking winters would be a breeze. We got 30 inches of snow here in 2 days over New Years the first year. It was a fluke, but it does happen. The winters are much greyer here, we get an inversion that sets in the valley and sticks around for weeks. Pdx and Mt Hood will be sunny but the Gorge will be socked in. Be mentally prepared for that. No mosquitoes, low humidity and the other 9 months are paradise!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: