Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Down winder on Sunday at the coast
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 30, 14 1:08 pm     Reply with quote

The Unicorns were small but tasty! You just had to eat a lot of them.

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
98 Posts

PostMon Aug 11, 14 11:17 am     Reply with quote

If the stars align, I will be making first Oregon kite trip middle next week. Stoked!
I have been down there surfing a bunch of times over the years, from Vancouver Island, but first time with wind being a friendly force.

I will be with my family (non kiters), so it would be epic to connect up with others for a Ft Stevens to Seaside (?) downwinder. Almost endless wave riding, no upwind tack backs....mmm.

Also looking forward to checking out spots south-ward too.

Cool Very Happy Laughing

Last edited by juandesooka on Mon Aug 11, 14 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Aug 11, 14 5:43 pm     Reply with quote

Stop by Cleanline Surf in Seaside and get the local info from the owner Josh.

South Jetty to Seaside is glorious but rare. Manzanita is the wind machine. Lincoln City is the next cranker as you head down south. Thumb's Up

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
98 Posts

PostMon Aug 11, 14 6:39 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
Stop by Cleanline Surf in Seaside and get the local info from the owner Josh.

South Jetty to Seaside is glorious but rare. Manzanita is the wind machine. Lincoln City is the next cranker as you head down south. Thumb's Up

Will do...I know Josh from back in the surfing pre-wind addict days. Looks like the trip is coming together, the family will be hunkering down for 3 days at the Lanai...great for playing in the small waves right out front, so I can sneak away to kite. Smile

I have a 17m in the quiver, so hopeful for some "local" wind, but definitely prepared for the drive down to Manzanita or points further if need be.

Stoked!

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 11, 14 10:53 pm    Manzanita downwinder Reply with quote

Manzanita has a smaller 2mile downwinder if you start from the Sunset Surf Motel and end in Nehalem State park at the boat ramp. Just ask any other kiters who haven't rigged yet. It's really nice to get away from the crowd, though I can easily tack back up too. Especially when it's 7m like the last 2 days. Manzanita usually has about 5mph more wind than Seaside when it's NW.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Aug 12, 14 7:14 am    Re: Manzanita downwinder Reply with quote

macgruber wrote:
Manzanita usually has about 5mph more wind than Seaside when it's NW.

Good advice on the dw'er. Sometimes swell size, wind orientation, and currents make it difficult to point sail (crowds too), so dw'er are nice.

Sorry going to have to strongly disagree with you about Manzo being only 5 miles more. Often times Seaside is fogged out and Manzo is sunny and cranking 7m. That's 25 mph difference. Manzo way windier than Seaside...lot b not as much.

Get some!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: