Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kauai in March

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jcohenx

Since 28 Aug 2007
248 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostThu Dec 26, 13 3:49 pm    Kauai in March Reply with quote

Anybody have any experience kiting Kauai in early March? Any recommendations would be appreciated on locations and kite sizes to pack.

thanks,

jc

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostThu Dec 26, 13 5:55 pm     Reply with quote

March is the perfect time to visit Kauai to kite. I have lived here 4 years and march seems like the best kiting month. You have chances for north swell or south swell. As far as kite sizes, I would bring a 7,10,12. You will most likely be on the 10 most of the time. Also bring reef booties as some of thoe launches require you to walk over reef. Buy the local kiters some beer, don't take pictures and you will be welcomed with open arms.

As far as places to stay, hanalei colony is really close to tunnels launch and is really affordable. I would stay east side, Kapaa, and decide whether to kite north or south shore each day. Also could be good there too, I kited there a lot last march. Have a good trip and feel free to ask any more questions.

wood

Since 21 Jan 2013
64 Posts

PostThu Dec 26, 13 6:27 pm     Reply with quote

My favorite Island. Can be very wet in march rainy! look too drive south or west if raining north. I have kited kauai since 2001 winter months only. Kite size 8-10-12-14. tunnels north. kapaa beach park east. poipu south. kekaha west. kite any time any where. shallow reefs . great local crew there. make sure you help out! good karma! Have FUN wish I was there.

jcohenx

Since 28 Aug 2007
248 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostFri Dec 27, 13 4:29 pm    kiting in Kauai Reply with quote

Thanks for the 411. I will be staying at a friend's house about 1/2 a mile from Kapaa Beach Park. Do I need any special parking permits?

thanks,

jc

wood

Since 21 Jan 2013
64 Posts

PostFri Dec 27, 13 5:51 pm     Reply with quote

park where every you want! no permits needed. ( kapaa beach park make short runs out to the outside reef before heading down wind. there is an out about a mile down wind. with a grass field.) south poipu (malapou beach spelling?) gate close at 6:00pm ).no mistakes here! nasty reef! ( tunnels north turn right off main road park near houses there is a trail out the beach!

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostFri Dec 27, 13 9:01 pm     Reply with quote

how is kiting in early February? Wifey & I will be in Hanalei for 8 days. Been before for surfing, but not kiting.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostFri Dec 27, 13 10:57 pm     Reply with quote

Although the kiting here can be world class, the wind is pretty fickle. People come and expect it to be like maui. The wind doesn't have any Venturi effect of a warm land mass. It is pretty much only the trade pattern at work. That means if it is blowing 30 knots on maui, it might not even be windy here. Definitly have some backup plans every day because it won't be good that often. You won't come back from a two week trip having kited even 7 days unless you are extremely lucky.

That said, the surfing and sightseeing can't be beat. Check out Kokee and Polihale, they are really unique in this world.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: