Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kite Line manufacturers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 12, 13 2:59 pm    Kite Line manufacturers Reply with quote

I will be retrofitting three bars with new lines, possible a forth. For this I’m gathering all the information I can about line manufacturers. Does anyone have experience? Looking at what kite brands use what OEM. Also some years ago there was a recall from Cabrinha and was wondering what brand of line they had problems with.

What brand are you familiar with?
Any quietly issues?
What kite brand might be using the line?
Line diameter size experience / recommendations?

Here is a list I’ve put together from my kite forum research

Powerline Sports
www.powerline-sports.com
Looks like they just resell the Honeywell Spectra line

Honeywell
www51.honeywell.com
Manufacture of Spectra

Teufelberger
www.teufelberger.com

DSM Dyneema, B.V.
www.dyneema.com

Yale Cordage
www.yalecordage.com

Edelrid
www.edelrid.de

APCO Aviation
www.apcoaviation.com

Liros
www.liros.com

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 12, 13 4:20 pm     Reply with quote

I am probably wrong but I think NAK and some others had some threads on here of what to exactly use and how they did it. might want to PM him or search around.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 12, 13 7:48 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks, just found the old post !

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-11649-0-asc-0.html

Some really good info!

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostSat Apr 13, 13 5:27 am    Just curious here but how much does it cost.. Reply with quote

to refit lines to an old bar? I've done some line replacement back in the days when I added oh shiz loops etc..., but it's expensive.

I'm wondering how much a new bar with new lines is compared to replacing lines. Is it cost effective?

Just aksing,
Ron

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4200 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Apr 13, 13 7:44 am     Reply with quote

You can make a new set of lines for around $60. That's using #800 test and spliced loops. It's really pretty easy to do. The first set takes the longest because you're figuring things out. After that it's about an hour to do a set of lines. The hardest part is pre-stretching the line. Best to find a remote location and stretch a whole spool as one piece.

I really can't recommend Powerline/Q-line. It's stretchier than factory line, despite claims to the contrary. Every knot I've tried slips when you apply a load above about 150#. Since lines only occasionally see that load in real use, the net effect is that your lineset slowly, but regularly, goes out of tune. Splices require only minimally more effort than tying knots. A splice never slips and retains near 100% line strength. A knot in Q-line has a breaking strength of 50% or less than line strength. A splice makes a line less prone to tangle than a knot. A splice is better in every possible way than a knot. Q-line/powerline can not be spliced. No offense to those who use q-line, it does work. But switch to spliced quality spectra/dyneema line and your bar will stay in tune far longer and your kites will fly better.

No-name lines are even worse. I picked up a spool of #800 spectra from a kite shop at the coast--not a kiteboarding shop--and this stuff is horrible. It has twice the stretch of factory line which renders it completely unusable. Believe me, a little extra stretch really affects the handling of your kite. The no-name 800# line turned a great handling kite into a POS that was terrible to fly. If you could find a line that stretched even less than factory line, I think you'd be absolutely amazed at how much better your kite flew... BTW, the no name line is the same material as the factory, just a different weave.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
534 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Apr 13, 13 11:47 am     Reply with quote

Nak,
That's as thorough an answer as I've seen on anything on this forum. Sounds like it cost you more than a few bucks to figure it all out. What made you want to do your own lines out of curiosity?

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostSun Apr 14, 13 9:54 am     Reply with quote

OG wrote:
Nak,
That's as thorough an answer as I've seen on anything on this forum. Sounds like it cost you more than a few bucks to figure it all out. What made you want to do your own lines out of curiosity?

If you want detail check out this masterpiece from Nak:
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-11649.html&highlight=making+lineset

A new set of lines for us mere mortals is $225. For Nak it's $60 for 1 hour of time and the personal satisfaction of knowing his lines are bullet proof. Thumb's Up

rePete

Since 18 Dec 2007
215 Posts
Mosier, Oregon
Stoked

PostSun Apr 14, 13 9:40 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info Nak! Where is the best place to buy the 800# Spectra? Is it all the same line if it's Spectra from Honeywell? Is 800# the breaking strength? I looked at some online sites and found it confusing. Thanks again for your help on this!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4200 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Apr 14, 13 10:31 pm     Reply with quote

I'm always tinkering with stuff... Smile

I haven't seen the Honeywell spectra... Spectra is the material all the lines are made out of, though it's called by different names. What is different is the braid. It would be awesome to find a make that was pre-stretched as that's the only difficult part of the process. Jerry Brown fishing line is good stuff, I need to find a cheap supplier again.

rePete

Since 18 Dec 2007
215 Posts
Mosier, Oregon
Stoked

PostMon Apr 15, 13 9:45 pm     Reply with quote

So after more research time it gets even more complicated. There are many manufacturers using the "Spectra" fiber developed by Honeywell that make rope and line. So not all Spectra line is the same. I guess just like all cotton shirts aren't the same. still trying to find a supplier that has the line best for our application. Like Nak said, the Jerry Brown line seems good but it seems his business is not supplying to the distributors anymore. We need to find out who makes the line we want and who sells it. Anyone know where to get the "right stuff"? I have a call into Yale Cordage but have not heard back from them. If we get enough people interested maybe we could buy a large spool and split it. Colors would also be helpful. Thanks again Nak for all your input!

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 16, 13 6:57 am     Reply with quote

I would be interested in sharing a spool !!
Also Blade is using Teufelberger line

rePete

Since 18 Dec 2007
215 Posts
Mosier, Oregon
Stoked

PostTue Apr 16, 13 4:56 pm     Reply with quote

Update! I talked with Jerry Brown today, very nice man, 83, and very active still. The company is making the line and I can get it directly from him. He offered to look at our application and maybe have some suggestions. He is very well informed and worked 40 years in the plastics industry. His company actually makes their line. He really seems to know how to properly splice and make high strength connections. I sent him some pictures of how we connect our lines. Will report back when I hear back from him. I'll get some prices and maybe we can come up with a list of people interested in going in on a spool of it.
Haven't heard back from the big companies like Honeywell and Yale Cordage, I guess they don't realize who I am!

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 16, 13 6:36 pm     Reply with quote

Ya I know the feeling, they probably never heard of Mosier Oregon either !
I’m in just send me a note 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: