Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Cable Park Shelved
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 28, 12 7:55 am    Cable Park Shelved Reply with quote

Figure this is worth it's own topic.

http://hoodriverbizbuzz.com/?p=3825

WindLogik

Since 09 Feb 2009
95 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Sep 28, 12 8:01 am     Reply with quote

Does this mean that nwkite will become a kiteboarding forum again? Very Happy

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Sep 28, 12 8:09 am     Reply with quote

Isn't that article just saying that the mayor and port commissioner are going to suggest that Naito shelve the cable park? Maybe it's the same thing.

nicorico

Since 13 Sep 2012
23 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Sep 28, 12 8:33 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
“We’re both concerned that this (Nichols Basin dispute) would end in a prolonged legal battle,” Davies said. “It could be very divisive. What we’re proposing is that we take a different direction, in a more positive light.”

I think this pretty much captures the feelings and ambitions of the governing bodies. They feel it's not in anyone's best interest to have this issue and land tied up in courts for years. They also see the community division negatively affecting future progress in the area as well. Especially if this is tied up for years to come.

I have to agree that it makes sense from that point of view. As much as I want a cable park in the Basin, I accept that this is unfortunate but reasonable.

Just where I'm at now with this.

:/

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 28, 12 8:47 am     Reply with quote

Seems bizarre to me... every "alternative" plan and proposal includes a building specifically for accommodating the Kayak Shed's kayak rental business. Why is that? Personally, I think this whole thing, the "Friends.." group, protests etc, was all started and motivated by one simple goal: to keep the Kayak Shed's business in the basin. Looks like they succeeded. The other thing I don't get, is that the whole supposed benefit of the hotel & cablepark was that in allowing them to go in, the developers would also restore & revitalize the basin's waterfront, so they foot the bill instead of the Port. If the Port is going to now pay for turing the basin into the park, why bother with the hotel? Just turn the whole area into a park and be done with it.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 28, 12 9:02 am     Reply with quote

The plan is for the City to pay for it with Tax revenues and land value increases, rather than the Port.

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 28, 12 9:18 am     Reply with quote

"future progress in the area" I'll believe that when I see it. (I may not live long enough)

K2

Since 30 Apr 2009
274 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 28, 12 9:48 am     Reply with quote

I'm so mad at everybody who opposed this and crushed my dreams of wanting to ride a cable park. I just moved to Hood River and was so excited about this park going into that stupid little spot of water that nobody ever uses and looks like shit. I don't care about a stupid little hippie walkway that they might build now so boring people can hypothetically walk around and look at birds or whatever it is that all these people say they do around there. It sucks so hard. I can't wait for all the boring people who would oppose such a good idea like this to die off so we can start having fun again around here. I hope I'm not such a lame ass when I get old like them.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 28, 12 10:21 am     Reply with quote

So let me get this straight, the hotel is going in, the citizens of Hood are going to pay to revitalize the basin, which will in turn make the hotel more desirable to stay in. Why dont we just raise the money and build a waterfront park ourselves instead? This smells of shit so hard. Thanks friends!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
arthurb

Since 06 Feb 2009
19 Posts
Hood River, Oregon

PostFri Sep 28, 12 10:40 am     Reply with quote

Urban renewal funding uses taxes from new development in the district to pay for infrastructure in the district. In this case we would borrow against future taxes on the hotel and other development in the district to pay for improvements in the basin and along the west shore, with the goal of spurring development on Lot 1.

This same funding mechanism was used in recent years for Portway, Anchor Way, wastewater treatment plant improvements, and downtown (Oak Street and next year State Street).

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostFri Sep 28, 12 10:47 am     Reply with quote

Welcome to Oregon. The place with tons of resources and capabilities and an unlimited supply of people with too much time and money that will stop at nothing to prevent you from getting a piece of the pie.

We should start a weekly hang out session by the basin wearing Borat thongs to contribute to the view of the people that supposedly frequent this place.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 28, 12 10:49 am     Reply with quote

There is some more information here:
http://www.hoodrivernews.com/news/2012/sep/28/new-proposal-nichols-basin-could-shelve-cable-park/

DROCK999

Since 31 May 2007
852 Posts
Left Coast
Opinionated

PostFri Sep 28, 12 10:52 am     Reply with quote

everyone should just buy stand up jet skis and cruise the basin. It's a shame that people can't share.

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostFri Sep 28, 12 10:58 am     Reply with quote

To me it sounds like in this proposal the least amount of people win. The "friends" will enjoy the improvement to the waterfront, but quite a few of them are opposed to the hotel. And the cable supporters essentially get nothing since they still won't get to use the area. Guess if you had to pick the "friends" will get what they wanted: nice access to a dump.

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 28, 12 11:22 am     Reply with quote

(...with the goal of spurring development on Lot 1.) more juice trucks parking.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Sep 28, 12 12:06 pm     Reply with quote

genek wrote:
Welcome to Oregon. The place with tons of resources and capabilities and an unlimited supply of people with too much time and money that will stop at nothing to prevent you from getting a piece of the pie.

yep, they'll build it in Idaho instead. Boise probably. Maybe Seattle? Oregon will be one of the last states to get one.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 28, 12 12:08 pm    THANKS COCKBLOCKING ASSHATS Reply with quote

Saw this coming a mile away.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: