Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Bladder repair with iron, hints?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
railgrab

Since 29 Mar 2005
177 Posts
Seattle, WA
Stoked

PostWed Jun 15, 05 9:45 pm    Bladder repair with iron, hints? Reply with quote

Anyone have hints on repairing a bladder with an iron? I've sealed the ends of a bladder this way, but my latest tear is a 2" gash away from the end. Patching this with heat is liable to seal the 2 layers of the bladder together as well as my patch, hmmm. My alternative is to get a 2"x3" adhesive patch... Airtime perhaps?
Ethan

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 16, 05 8:22 am     Reply with quote

Ethan, use a patch. If it is deformed (stretched bladder material) cut it away and place a piece of flat plastic, approx size of hole (use glad bag), over the hole-so you don't stick to other side of bladder. Make sure you clean with alcohol first. Helps to have two people so one person can hold material flat. Stephan Shocked

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostThu Jun 16, 05 8:42 am     Reply with quote

Here is a really good link with pictures for you.
http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/bladderrepair.htm

And here is really good patch material to use.
http://www.tear-aid.com/

Good Luck

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

railgrab

Since 29 Mar 2005
177 Posts
Seattle, WA
Stoked

PostFri Jun 17, 05 6:39 am     Reply with quote

After some brainstorming, here's how I just got my R2 20 back in action. First, I stuffed some rolled up parchment paper (use for baking) inside my bladder through the valve. I unrolled the paper and placed it underneath my 'C' shaped 3" blowout in the bladder. I then placed a cutout piece of bladder over the gash, covered with more parchment and ironed it into place using a medium level heat setting. My bladder stayed inflated overnight and now I just have to get the parchment back out. BTW, if you try this be very careful to flatten the bladder out well because any wrinkles or folds are liable to melt together.

Ethan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: