Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kite Repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
North BoUND

Since 30 Nov 2010
22 Posts

PostWed Nov 02, 11 8:59 am    Kite Repair Reply with quote

What's the best permanent fix for pinholes? I found a cluster of pinholes by my center strut last time I was out and the two fixes I've heard of are self-adhesive dacron(kitefix.com) and sailtape. Is one better than the other or is there a better option than either of those?

Thanks,
Chad

WINDUDE

Since 10 Jun 2010
557 Posts
GORGE!
Addicted

PostWed Nov 02, 11 9:11 am     Reply with quote

kite fix worked for me, so did hooked on phonix

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 02, 11 11:44 am    repair Reply with quote

Dacron works, and it doesnt leave the sticky residue when removed like duct tape (in case you get a proper repair later.

Best is spinnaker tape. Same weight as canopy, doesn't make a hard spot like Dacron (much heavier) which can have a bad effect on surrounding material over time.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostWed Nov 02, 11 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

Lot of options here for ripstop, dacron and even tear-aid. It's for all kinds of canopy repair. Cheap prices, but they rape you on S&H. So buy a bunch of colors/types at one time or go in with a buddy. Good stuff.
http://www.mojosgear.com/mojos/loft-repairs-c-2_10_38.html

I typically buy the white or black rip stop tape sold by the foot. The white is almost transparent when applied to colors, but the black, of course, can't be beat if you're taping on a black surface. You don't even notice it once you apply them.

I keep some nickel size patches of this with my kites and if I see a pinhole when rigging/derigging I just hit it right then and there. Have been told these pinholes could be weak points on hard wrecks so I attend to them when I see them. One patch on each side of the hole. Doesn't leave thick sticky residue like the tear-aid patches do.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Nov 02, 11 1:15 pm    Re: repair Reply with quote

dangler wrote:
Dacron works, and it doesnt leave the sticky residue when removed like duct tape (in case you get a proper repair later.

Best is . Same weight as canopy, doesn't make a hard spot like Dacron (much heavier) which can have a bad effect on surrounding material over time.

Thx for the info man. Im going to get some spinnaker tape to take to mex with me in case i tear one up.

Uzzah

Since 25 Jan 2019
1 Posts

PostFri Jan 25, 19 6:34 am    Repair kit - clear repair tape Reply with quote

Have you seen this product? "fixmytear". I bought this repair tape a few yrs ago and am finding it really helpful in a lot of different surface repairs.
https://www.amazon.com/Fixmytear-Magic-Repair-Tape-33ft/dp/B01MA5HSNC
https://www.amazon.com/fixmytear-Magic-Repair-Tape-Kit/dp/B016M1S1GU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: