Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

I am done with unleashed dogs at the Event Site
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 29, 10 4:15 pm    I am done with unleashed dogs at the Event Site Reply with quote

Done with explaining how I love dogs too. Done with telling folks I am a nice guy.

Second set of holes on my kite today from unleashed dogs. Flip my kite over after session and two dogs run over it--two holes. Whoever has the Burmese Mountain dog, unleashed running around put a hole in my kite. The other dog, small black, the owners gave me some money for the repair which I appreciate.

Dogs are pissing on kites, running over kites, and shitting in the rigging area.

The owner of the Burmese needs to send $20 my way.

Hood River Animal Control: 541-386-2098 ext 1

Thanks,
Eric

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostThu Jul 29, 10 4:46 pm     Reply with quote

Just like the CGKA, who continues to fight for everybody's right to use the sandbar for kiteboarding, dogs should negotiate with the Port for their right to use the sandbar for shitting and running around shredding kites.

KimSoderholm

Since 12 Aug 2009
102 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 29, 10 5:01 pm     Reply with quote

I've ran into some issues myself with a few dogs, what are the rules for dogs on the sandbar?

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostThu Jul 29, 10 5:14 pm     Reply with quote

KimSoderholm wrote:
I've ran into some issues myself with a few dogs, what are the rules for dogs on the sandbar?

Before sunrise and after sunset they can run around off the leash. During day light they are supposed to be leashed. the owner's are supposed to clean up their dumps at all times.

There are a lot of strong feelings for both sides of this issue. this has come up on a number of times on this forum. Not much gets settled - people just get pissed off and rip on eachother.

A couple of years ago I decided to come up with my own resolution to this issue and that was to start taking dumps on the sand bar and not clean it up.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostThu Jul 29, 10 5:47 pm     Reply with quote

Eric,

I kinda saw what happened out of the corner of my eye.
I saw the dogs running around.
Didn't realize they poked your kite.

Bummer and I'd say you got a free pass to vent about it.

Thanks for the ride, btw
let me know if you need some Tearaid.

The event site is an eerie place.
Seems to be so much tension in the vibe.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostThu Jul 29, 10 5:58 pm    Dogs and kites don't mix!!! Reply with quote

It makes me want to go to the coast.

KimSoderholm

Since 12 Aug 2009
102 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 29, 10 6:17 pm     Reply with quote

Moto wrote:

A couple of years ago I decided to come up with my own resolution to this issue and that was to start taking dumps on the sand bar and not clean it up.

Nice, I'll have to try that out sometime.

LP

Since 05 Apr 2007
115 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostThu Jul 29, 10 9:06 pm     Reply with quote

I am SO with you on this Eric.

STORMRIDER

Since 17 Jul 2007
222 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 29, 10 9:37 pm    not okay Reply with quote

watched a dog piss on a 9m cult bag yesterday that was stacked next to the poll in the pump and dry area.... not cool, the ownwer shrugged it off, I could only shake my head.... solution ?

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 29, 10 9:48 pm     Reply with quote

.... its time to take a stand! I'm sure our local CGKA spokes-people can send a stern message to the Port of HR that this is it. How about a ban on all dogs at the Event Site? Sounds reasonable to me. The Port of HR can limit certain users groups, in designated areas (ie:kiters).... so hey.... "BAN THE DOGS!!!" If they have to crap, if they have to run... take them across the street to the huge vacant lot and have at it! Its a no-brainer.
Last edited by mikeinhoodriver on Thu Jul 29, 10 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostThu Jul 29, 10 9:48 pm     Reply with quote

We have this same post every year and it always ended in a huge fights we'll see how this one goes before it gets locked

it's not the dogs that are the problem it's the owners not watching the dogs that's the problem...sorry about your kite Eric hopefully you will figure out who's dog it is and get some $ for you kite

coryseiber

Since 10 Jun 2010
17 Posts
Astoria

PostThu Jul 29, 10 9:51 pm    Re: Dogs and kites don't mix!!! Reply with quote

bulae99 wrote:
It makes me want to go to the coast.

wont make much of a difference.
my buddies lines broke last weekend and right when the kite went down a dog
attacked it and tore it to crap. he said its done (i havnt seen the damage).

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 29, 10 11:00 pm     Reply with quote

I got 3 PM's in my box tonight, all of which say something like, "Way to go, Eric."
This is not a private matter--sack up. Of course it's the owners; not the dogs. Has that ever really been questioned?

The CGKA has fought long and hard for a safe, clean place to pump and dry kites, as well as launch and land kites. There were 20 to 30 kites on the lawn today and twice that on the spit and at least two dogs playing amongst them. We got 75 grand worth of fragile gear and dogs in a limited space. My kite was not even drying. I had just walked it over from the spit, turned it over and WHAM. This is the second time this has happened this summer.

Anyone wonder why many of us store our kitebags up off the ground now? Because the male dogs piss all over anything near the trees, signs, or spigots. They also piss on the kites. Orange 10m RPM--your kite got pissed on today.

I am not going to politely state the obvious to folks anymore. I am not going to go out of my way looking for unleashed dogs--I may even pet your unleashed dog. I am not going to lecture anyone at the beach. I am not going to go through the usual PC song and dance about how "I have dogs too, but don't bring them to the Event Site on a windy day..."

What I am going to do is call animal control if, AND ONLY IF an unleashed dog damages my gear in any way, and the owner does not offer to pay for the repairs, or cannot be found. I am going to be polite, businesslike, and non-violent. Fact is, money talks, and it's expensive to bail your best friend out of dog jail.

Hood River Animal Control: 541-386-2098 ext 1

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostThu Jul 29, 10 11:16 pm     Reply with quote

Ahhhhhh lets see.....I'm pretty sure Eric has a point on this one....

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostThu Jul 29, 10 11:21 pm     Reply with quote

KimSoderholm wrote:
Moto wrote:

Nice, I'll have to try that out sometime.

I think this might work since human shit smells way worse than dog shit...
It's True...!!!

TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostThu Jul 29, 10 11:26 pm     Reply with quote

Im a dog owner and love to take my dog to the beach with me just like everyone else.

Dog owners need to realize that they are responsible for their dogs actions at all times. Brining your dog to the event site makes it very difficult to control your dog when your talking to you bro's or on the water working on your next move.

I cant control everything my dog does when off leash so I leave her at home. I would be really pissed off if some dog decided to party on my kite. I don't like the vibe associated with be really pissed off so I don't bring my dog.

I say no dogs at the event site, it's just common sense.

dancingwind

Since 18 Jul 2007
321 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 29, 10 11:41 pm     Reply with quote

A dog attacked a buddy's kite last week and put 2 holes in it! He saw the dog doing it, called animal control, they arrived with in 15 minutes. Impounded the dog and end of story! I agree it's not the dog but the owner that needs impounding!

I personally see this as a possible safety issue. Imagine this scenario; you just finished pumping your kite at the event site, you leave your kite and go back to your car to change, grab your bar and board....etc. While a way a dog runs over your kite and puts a few holes in it. You come back to your kite and grab it, not knowing that you've just acquired a few holes, and head out to the sand bar to rig (I'm truly hoping that a good samaritan will inform you of the incident before you head out!!!). You get on the water, do a jump and suddenly your kite rips and falls from the sky with you under it!! That's the worse case scenario and I hope it never happens to anyone but it paints a picture of a grim possibility.

I love dogs to death, but not necessarily their owners. And most keep their dogs on a leash, it's just the few rouge ones that we've got to watch out for! Just like Eric mentioned our play gear is not cheap and we have to protect it. It's a good idea to have the Animal control number handy. I also wonder if putting up more and bigger dog leash signs would help stress the importance of leashing!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: