Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

kite hindenbergs and lines invert, what to do next?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Bigbeezer

Since 31 Aug 2008
33 Posts
Portland, OR

PostWed Jul 07, 10 9:45 am    kite hindenbergs and lines invert, what to do next? Reply with quote

Ok, I've had this situation happen a few times lately. I was the poor guy at Sauvie's yesterday who self rescued when my 12m hidenbergs and lines get crossed (thanks again to guy who brought my board in!) I released my safety and self rescued. Is there a way to 1) try to react to this & pull lines when you see your kite fall from sky and 2) is there any way to get kite back up when lines invert? Or is answer that you are screwed, and self rescue is required? Thanks for your input..

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Jul 07, 10 9:48 am     Reply with quote

Not watching what exactly your doing but, try NOT to keep your kite a high noon. Keep it over at 10-11 or 1-2. Some older kites really want to get to the front of the wind window and then over shoot you.

www.naishkites.com

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Jul 07, 10 10:03 am     Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with relaunching your kite on "inverted" lines. We do it all the time when everything is crisscrossed up, sometimes when shit is much more than just inverted... Relaunch, fly it back to the beach, have someone catch/hold the kite, and try to fix it it at the bar if possible. If not, land and re-run the lines. The only time this wouldn't be an option would be when your lines are twisted to the point that you no longer have any control.

EDIT: ooops

Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Wed Jul 07, 10 11:13 am; edited 2 times in total

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Jul 07, 10 10:58 am     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with relaunching your kite on "inverted" lines. We do it all the time when everything is crisscrossed up, sometimes when shit is much more than just inverted... Relaunch, fly it back to the beach, have someone catch/hold the kite, and try to fix it it at the bar if possible. If not, land and re-run the lines. The only time this wouldn't be an option would be your lines were twisted to the point that you no longer have any control.

good advice Thumb's Up

you can also find a mellow wind day and a shallow spot and practice passing your bar thru the middle lines to fix (or make way worse Very Happy ) - you fix all kind of issues if you are patient and its not too windy...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Jul 07, 10 11:29 am     Reply with quote

when you see your kite starting to fall - sheet out. If you can run back - or possibly even kick your feet back to get the kite some more power that would be helpful.

Also, check yer connections. Maybe you are over-sheeting. Rigging to high up on your outide lines and your kite doesn't like that (kites are very sensitive creatures).

Also, relaunching at sauvies can suck ballz cus the wind is so light. Just an FYI. but if you can get it up - fly whatever you got - criss-crossed lines or whatever (just so long as you can still have some control over yer kite).

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Jul 07, 10 11:31 am     Reply with quote

Also. If your kite is all twisted and mangled in the water, try pulling on a shit load of one of the outside lines (like 10 arm lengths) and let it go again. Sometimes it helps to straighten things out. Just watch the other lines so they don't get tangled in you.

But yeah, if you get it in the air just get back to the beach and pass your bar through the center lines to uncross them and you should be good to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

trailboss

Since 08 Aug 2006
95 Posts
HR

PostWed Jul 07, 10 12:44 pm     Reply with quote

I've saved many a Hindenburg by sheeting out completely, then reaching high and fast for my center (front) lines and pulling them down.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 10, 11 9:37 am    taking care of the issue on the water Reply with quote

what is the best way while on the water to try to attempt fixing the issue of inverted lines. I know you can still fly the kite and get back to land but in the case you want to take care of it on the water what is the best way? Do you have to take your safety off and pass the bar through the middle of the lines? If you have a slingshot bar with the swivel do you have to pass the bar above the swivel? Can someone offer some advice of the best way to try to attempt at fixing this. Is is not worth it to waste time trying to fix it and just fly to a landing etc. thanks

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 10, 11 9:46 am     Reply with quote

Gman, I am on year 11 years of kiting and I think I am 1/347 for passing bar through lines to undo invert. What is the secret?

Toi original poster. So long as you still have steering and your release still works it's safe to fly back in. Test your safety by relaunching kite and pulling whatever line your leash attaches to. If that line can be pulled without undue effort you are probably good to go for fly in. If, however, the lines have twisted and wrapped to the point that the line will not pull it's self-rescue time.

Eric

harriet

Since 10 Jun 2007
64 Posts

PostSun Jul 10, 11 10:40 am     Reply with quote

I thought when a kite is about to hindinburg, its basically heading upwind (unless we're talking O wind) and sheeting out only exaggerates the situation. Wouldn't sheeting in and gaining some rear line tension, not to mention the ability to steer, (ie downloop that bitch if necessary) be more effective?
Last edited by harriet on Sun Jul 10, 11 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

DaveC

Since 07 Mar 2011
10 Posts
East Coast Canada

PostSun Jul 10, 11 11:11 am     Reply with quote

Agree with trailboss.

If the kite is dying and slowly drifting to the ground, by grabbing your center lines (just make a fist around the whole system above the bar) and pulling you can give it some extra wind. It has the same effect as running backward, except you can do it in the water. I saved myself an embarrasing landing at the event site on the july 4th weekend by pumping the center lines and saving a crash.

I also agree with an earlier post that to keep the kite at noon with the bar sheeted out is just asking for a hindenburg situation.

Always keep the kite moving to avoid this entirely. If you do keep it at noon, keep tension on the steering lines by holding the bar in, that way its less likely to overshoot the window.

Word!
DC

kenja

Since 19 Jun 2008
179 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jul 10, 11 12:16 pm     Reply with quote

Hindenburging has basically disappeared with recent kite designs. If it happens a lot, you probably need some better kites. Back in the day you had to always keep your kite moving or a gust would bring it down. If it does start to happen I grab an outside line an pull it in as fast as I can. When it tensions, the kite will start turning and the kite will power up and re-tension the lines.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 10, 11 2:03 pm     Reply with quote

agree w/ kenja.
In light/gusty winds, I have saved my Fuels (old and new) from toppling sideways or forward many a time by grabbing the leader on the high side of the kite once it starts falling.
Sometimes I have to grab the fronts +/or 5th too though.
It's pulling the strings that flies the kite, so if the bar isn't doing it, don't be shy.
This can save the kite in conditions where relaunch would be really hard.
Grabbing just the fronts seems to work on any kite I've flown that is backstalling down in light wind too, of course....

DownStream

Since 18 Apr 2007
381 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 10, 11 3:03 pm     Reply with quote

haha, u guys r funny. take a lesson is the best answer. once your lines are hooked up correctly in the beginning, there is no way the kite can flip and cross lines that cannot be undone at the bar. think about it. recommendation is just fly the kite with the crosses, (it will still work fine) and fix on the beach... but there are ways (with risks) to undo... c me at waterplay.

brett

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 10, 11 6:12 pm    i have taken lessons Reply with quote

just asking and why do you have to take lessons to find out. Most people have taken lessons and the answers dont appear to be coming too quick. Do you have to disconnect your safety and pass the bar above the swivel??? Is there an easy way to recognize which way the bar should be passed ie. from the bottom or from the top. I would assume the safety will have to be detatched to complete the process. I quess I should make a mini model of a set of bar and lines and practice at home!

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 11, 11 5:32 pm     Reply with quote

harriet wrote:
I thought when a kite is about to hindinburg, its basically heading upwind (unless we're talking O wind) and sheeting out only exaggerates the situation. Wouldn't sheeting in and gaining some rear line tension, not to mention the ability to steer, (ie downloop that bitch if necessary) be more effective?
No ... this is one of those counter-intuitive things. Sheeting in only makes it drop faster. Sheeting out allows more wind to pass under the kite and thus helps keep it in the air. You may or may not be able to maneuver the kite but sheeting out will usually at least let you keep the kite flying while you wait for a gust or just drag back to the beach. Just my observation based on personal experience.

mschulz

Since 29 May 2007
530 Posts
Reno, NV
Addicted

PostMon Jul 11, 11 7:29 pm     Reply with quote

Every once in a while I look into the basics. Good note here about sheeting etc.

http://www.kiteboardingevolution.com/sheeting.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: