Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

CGKA Meeting Topic

previous topic :: next topic  
Chooch

Since 18 Nov 2007
1871 Posts
Wicked Pissah
Boston Tea Bagger

PostTue Jun 30, 09 4:31 pm    CGKA Meeting Topic Reply with quote

Just wanted to post this up here so it is not over looked at the next meeting.

Topic: School Zone at the Sandbar (specifically teaching in or near the kiddie pool)

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Jul 10, 09 8:37 am     Reply with quote

I want to "third" that this topic be added to the agenda, and I believe Brett already "seconded" this topic before. Even if it's to acknowledge that there is a problem. I had a rather interesting confrontation with an instructor yesterday that I'd like to talk about.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostFri Jul 10, 09 8:49 am     Reply with quote

on the agenda for tonight

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostFri Jul 17, 09 8:44 pm     Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I recently got hired on as an instructor with Kite The Gorge, and brought this up at the school employee meeting. It is a major problem and I am glad this is being addressed. It can be a major cluster of students and is not safe for anyone. At the same time there is a lot of "friends teaching friends" that is also not helping to make the area safer.

We (Kite the gorge) try our best to teach on the far end of the sandbar, and even more so take our students out in the deep water away from the chaos. We are working to put all board riding lessons in the A.M., and all newly beginner lessons in the afternoon to help thin out some of the crowds.

I encourage everyone to give there opinion and hopefully we can work together to make the sandbar a safe place for all kiters. (one option is to move the schools to the marina sandbar) I will be attending the next CGKA meeting and will relay the progress with the rest of the KTG school.

-matty (sol)

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostSat Jul 18, 09 9:58 am     Reply with quote

The "friends teaching friends" is a super hard topic but it definitely needs to be addressed. Maybe we could come up with a list of "recommendations" rather than rules for this?

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostMon Jul 20, 09 11:41 am     Reply with quote

This is always an interesting topic it will be great to talk to the schools and come up with something that will work well for everyone.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue Jul 21, 09 9:23 am     Reply with quote

personally, i dont think this topic even belongs on the table. our mission is to improve, expand and create new access. we are not the sandbar police.

if you got a problem with someone teaching where they are teaching, you need to ride up to them and talk it over with that person. or deal with it some other way, see below Wink

we could maybe, and i say maybe, come of with a recomendation on where to teach: north of the northern edge of hte sandbar where there are fewer logs and rocks. bttom line is tho, some instructors are not going to give a shit, they think they have been here longer and they have the right to teach where they want. i'd rather not waste my time hashing this topic over at a meeting and then waste more time dealing with schools trying to convince them they should teach, here or there.

gnerally if i got a problem with people teaching in the kiddie pool where i want to ride; i throw a megaloop right next to them, and they get the point. also, being friends with the instructors help. but i would say most of my friends that are instructors rarely teach in the kiddie pool (because they know it is dangerous).

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 21, 09 10:00 am     Reply with quote

This is very much an access issue. Further, there is no other organization than can be tasked with putting together a recommendation for the Port, so this does fall on the CGKA.

I hear what you're saying but I think something needs to change with regard to space being chewed up by organizations with the most flexibility in how they use their space. They're just going to continue to take the path with the least resistance towards profit.

There are a bunch of sub-issues involved and we need to spend some time addressing all the issues and find a solution that works for everyone.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jul 21, 09 2:05 pm     Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> CGKA All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: