Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

It's been years...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
BayAreaKite

Since 18 Jul 2006
24 Posts

PostWed Jun 29, 22 9:01 am    It's been years... Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

It's been years since I've visited posted on NW Kite. My name's Ollie and in 2003 I founded and used to run a website called BayAreaKiteboarding.com which some of you veterans may remember. Starting in 2002 mostly all I did outside of work for well over 10 years was kitesurf at all the local launches in the Bay, on the Coast and at the Delta and travelled when I could kiting in places like Hatteras, South Padres, Baja, Hawaii, Costa Rica, Japan and Vietnam.

I shifted the BayAreaKiteboarding website to another owner/admin in 2013 and as Facebook grew some people worked to create a kitesurfing community there, which was a natural progression of things in the tech-focused Bay Area I suppose but I just wanted to say it's awesome that NW Kite is still here still running on PhpBB.

Anyway, I live in Portland, OR now and am stoked to have Hood River and the Coast within 1.5 hrs either way and I'm hoping to get out to Hood River this week after many years.

Cheers,
Ollie

HoodRiver.jpg 

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jun 29, 22 9:15 am    Re: It's been years... Reply with quote

BayAreaKite wrote:

and as Facebook grew some people worked to create a kitesurfing community there, which was a natural progression of things in the tech-focused Bay Area I suppose but I just wanted to say it's awesome that NW Kite is still here still running on PhpBB.

Anyway, I live in Portland, OR now and am stoked to have Hood River and the Coast within 1.5 hrs either way and I'm hoping to get out to Hood River this week after many years.

Cheers,
Ollie

Welcome back Ollie! Yep, the owner and creator of this site (PKH) had the foresight and wisdom to implement the adage "if it aint broke, don't fix it." OR KISS; keep it simple stupid. Not many bells or whistles on this forum and it works well.

Yes, more modern tech has stripped many users from the forum, but there is still a core/handful of regulars who use this forum. Great, honest, info from most and you'll get called out if you post BS.

Good wind and waves to ya. See you on the water.

BayAreaKite

Since 18 Jul 2006
24 Posts

PostWed Jun 29, 22 7:26 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome back. I actually made it out today and while light on the inside it was great on a 10m and twin tip outside and up. Looking forward to a great summer!

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 29, 22 8:54 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Ollie! I moved to the bay area from Hood River in 2009 and now split my time, in fact heading up tomorrow (with a stop at Sherman of course). Your site was a great resource, but alas, now everyone's gone to Farcebook. I think we met in passing eons ago at Alameda or Turd Ave, have several mutual friends, etc. I'll look and ask around for you in Da Hood.

Cheers!
-Pete

BayAreaKite

Since 18 Jul 2006
24 Posts

PostWed Jun 29, 22 9:07 pm     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
Hey Ollie! I moved to the bay area from Hood River in 2009 and now split my time, in fact heading up tomorrow (with a stop at Sherman of course). Your site was a great resource, but alas, now everyone's gone to Farcebook. I think we met in passing eons ago at Alameda or Turd Ave, have several mutual friends, etc. I'll look and ask around for you in Da Hood.

Cheers!
-Pete

I totally remember your username on BAK, thanks for the reply! If we met it probably was at Alameda as I never kited 3rd much.

After so many years of nothing but kiting, I backed off for several years and got back into other passions like mountain biking, skiing, hiking and road biking. And had a family too. I still get out on the water a bit and am stoked to be living in Portland now.

Cheers,
Ollie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: