Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Too cold tomorrow?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dobermankby

Since 07 Jul 2021
23 Posts

PostSat Jan 29, 22 7:16 pm    Too cold tomorrow? Reply with quote

I'm a beginner with about 10 sessions under my belt. I have a 4/3 wetsuit and 3mm gloves. I was fine kiting Iverson with this setup back in October or November when the weather was 45 degrees (same as tomorrow's forecast) but the water is obviously colder now. Is it a bad idea to go out there with anything less than a drysuit?

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Jan 29, 22 9:08 pm    Do you feel lucky? Reply with quote

Could be the last bad idea you have.

I had a session go bad last March. Over an hour in the water doing the self rescue thing. My drysuit saved my ass. Thick booties, thick gloves, and a neoprene hat, but my 5/3 wetsuit wouldn’t have been anywhere near warm enough.

Under the drysuit, I’m dressed for a cold windy day on the mountain.

I was wiped by the time I made it in.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostSun Jan 30, 22 12:27 am    Cold Water Kiting Reply with quote

Dobermankby,

To your question is it too COLD - Methinks - YES

I am almost always the biggest cheerleader for STOKED kiters but heading out this time of year with 10 sessions under your belt in a 4/3 is a bit too much stoke by which I mean you will be way more stoked if you live a bit longer to have mo betta days.

I confess I don't know Iverson but a google search puts in Livingston Bay which is 45 degrees give or take.

Winter Kiting is sweet but it's a fruit of a different flavor, more of an acquired taste if you will...Yes can be done but lots to KNOW BEFORE YOU GO.

Some good stuff in the <SEARCH> if you look...

PS - Don't GO ALONE and other stuff

Mc

dobermankby

Since 07 Jul 2021
23 Posts

PostSun Jan 30, 22 12:33 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. These were my thoughts too, I guess I was just looking for confirmation. I'll have to wait a few more months, until then, I'll keep on mtb'ing Smile

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Jan 30, 22 5:23 pm     Reply with quote

For winter kite sessions, head to the coast !! Water is 50 and air temp is usually 50, a 4/3 will work with no issues. Don't forget 5mm booties and 2mm gloves BUT you should be experienced to kite in the winter, make sure you go with someone. If your rather new, try Nehalem Bay and launch at the board ramp

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Jan 31, 22 3:54 pm     Reply with quote

you could always go for a test swim

13 minutes in a speedo and barefoot a few weeks back 😂

DB390533-9A5B-412D-9B9E-487DF9B5DBB6.jpeg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: