Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

kite foiling in 30+ mph with big surf wing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
phill

Since 26 May 2016
56 Posts

PostSun Nov 01, 20 9:58 am    kite foiling in 30+ mph with big surf wing Reply with quote

Is anyone changing out their big surf wing to a smaller front wing in 30+ mph winds?

I currently only have the 633.

For instance from a Moses 633 to a Moses 679 or smaller?
I am curious about the Moses 679 , any advice?

Or are most just keeping the large surf wing and using a 3m or 4m kite?

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Nov 01, 20 10:25 am     Reply with quote

I didn't change kite size when I went from 633 to 679. Both are bigger surf wings and I always found myself on a pretty small kite. 633 gets up on foil a touch sooner than 679 and 679 is definitely more stable feeling at high speeds whereas the 633 generates a lot of lift and feels more unstable at higher speeds.

Smaller wings like the 590 need more kite power and might be an option if you want to kit in high winds but don't want to go any smaller on the kites.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun Nov 01, 20 6:26 pm     Reply with quote

I just rig a smaller kite and ride at the same speeds I usually ride. If I have more kite than I need or want, I notice I'm having to really stand on the front because I'm going faster than the wing likes to go, and I've got too much lift.

I'm eyeing the smaller wings for faster riding and tighter turning.

Like all things foiling, everything makes a difference, and dialing in new gear takes time.

I just added a few inches of mast, mounted it to a different board, but kept my tried and true LF Impulse wings. Three sessions of struggling and moving my strap and stance around, trying to get used to the new set up.

I didn't think a 4" longer mast would make that much difference, but it totally changed my geometry. The profile of the mast is different than what I'm used to as well, and that could be part of the new feel.

Today at Stevenson, things clicked into place. Steady easterlies are my break through days.

Now to try the smaller wings and shorter fuselage. I'm sure it'll be the same process all over again, but faster crashes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: