Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

KB4C 2020

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostThu Jul 09, 20 8:04 pm    KB4C 2020 Reply with quote

This weekend would ordinarily be our beloved Kiteboard4Cancer weekend in Hood River.

Due to Covid, we had to get creative and figure out how to conduct KB4C without crowding the Event Site with potential vectors for the virus. I could never live with myself if I knew I contributed to the spread of the virus to anyone participating in the event and or one of our guests, supporters, volunteers, vendors etc.

Here are the details for KB4C 2020

KB4C is a global event. You can participate from wherever you are in the world.

Sign up to be a fundraiser at: www.kb4c.org Signing up is simple and fast. You can customize your fundraising page once you are done.

For the kiteboarding side of the competition, we had to figure out how this could be accomplished without creating a crowd so we are using the Strava App.

On your smart phone, download Strava if you don't already have it.
On the far right of the main Strava page, there is a "clubs" section. Go to Clubs and search for KB4C 2020 and join the club.

You can either use a gps enables watch or any other wearable gps device that links to Strava or use a waterproof pouch to put your smartphone in and tuck it into your wetsuit.

We will be tracking your mileage for one week.....August 3-10.
Only 6 hours of your one week of kiteboarding will count toward your total.
You can kiteboard as much as you like but we will only count 6 of your best hours.
You can do it all in one day and we have a category for those who want to do the six hour marathon.
Or you can do a little each day and we will total the hours up. (different category)
The categories will be: Individual, Team, Foil, regular kite boards (surf or TT) and 6 hour challengers.

To be fair, any downwinders will not count.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me at: steve@projectkoru.org

Thanks for your anticipated participation!

Steve

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 13, 20 8:46 pm     Reply with quote

Link to club: https://www.strava.com/clubs/kb4c2020

If you have a Garmin device there are several kite tracking apps (apps.garmin.com); unfortunately the ones I've tried suck. I use Kite Tracker and may soon offer to buy the code simply because of the desire for something that works simplistically.

Last edited by shred_da_gorge on Tue Jul 14, 20 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostTue Jul 14, 20 1:36 am     Reply with quote

I am sorry, look for Kiteboard 4 Cancer 2020 in clubs.
My bad for abbreviating it.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 22, 20 1:28 pm     Reply with quote

Bump for a good cause, plus a Garmin app update (will also post on Strava). I spoke with the developer of Kite Tracker who has addressed most of my concerns, and I'm loading his updates on my two watches to test.

Is there someone in Hood River area actively fundraising for KB4C and kiting here regularly or daily? If so, and you don't have something to track your activities for Strava please let me know. I have a Garmin Vivoactive that I keep as a spare to my Vivoactive3 that I could trust you to return when fundraising is finished.

Link to Kite Tracker app if you're a Garmin user:
https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/be51598b-7217-4aa9-b934-f6c61ccd9442

This version ported to support some of the older watches:
https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/6451b599-7236-4cfa-ba77-b41cdfeb51cc

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 24, 20 10:26 pm     Reply with quote

I gotta take back my comments on the Garmin upload needing to sync to Strava through Garmin Connect (which is currently down). If you plug the watch into a computer using the supplied USB cable it should show up as its own removable drive.

On that drive there is a folder called "Garmin" and under that "Activity". You will see each activity recorded as a ".fit" file. You can upload these to Strava by clicking '+' on the upper right and selecting "Upload Activity" and then selecting "File" on the left and navigating to the .fit file you wish to upload.

You can use just about any GPS tracking activity for kiteboarding - cycling's probably the best, for example - and then manually changing the activity type by editing and saving the entry. I recommend selecting the activity or watch settings for "GPS+GLONASS" for better tracking resolution (at the expense of some battery life).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: