Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Liquid Force foils/next setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
nosbocaj

Since 19 Jul 2014
28 Posts
Portland

PostTue Aug 11, 20 4:18 pm    Liquid Force foils/next setup Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a new foil setup and have been looking at the either the LF Impulse or Thruster with either a 4'2" Galaxy or 4'4" Pod. I'm an intermediate transitioning to advanced rider looking for a little more performance than my LF Rocket board/foil. I like to free ride primarily and I'm looking for a good combo of speed, maneuverability, and stability (all arounder). I ride mostly in the Gorge and am 6'2" 200lbs.

Am I crazy to be looking at new products from a company that's pulled out of the industry? I've been on LF gear since I began kiting in 2014 and I've come to really love their stuff. I know there are a lot of great companies out there, but as with most people, I've developed a brand loyalty. I don't want to drop $1,500 on a new setup only to find that there's little/no support. I'm guessing they'll be able to cover a lot of the replacement parts through their wakefoil division, but that might not be the case.

Should I stick with LF one last time or look elsewhere, and if so, where/what? Thanks for the help!

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 11, 20 4:50 pm     Reply with quote

LF has done anything but pulled out, they've doubled down.

The reason they are closing the kite division is to focus on foils, which I'm assuming will still include kite specific options.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 11, 20 4:52 pm     Reply with quote

From what I understand, LF is getting out of kites, but not foils. They are still a big wake, and water sport company. I’ll miss the kites. I’m riding solos and just got a WOW, really like the WOW.

I like the LF foil stuff for the ability to bolt up different wings. The Impulse is a great wingset. So much easier to ride than the rocket. Especially for guys over 200 lb. it’s a Cloud 9 design.

The thruster will be a big step up in speed.

I pick up used wingsets and bolt them to my LF masts. If they don’t work out for me, I’ll put em back up for sale. Gives me time to dial a new setup in over a number of sessions. Seems like any little change involves a few hours of retraining my brain.

I try to stick with stuff that bolts right on to my LF fuselages, but I’ll go for a complete wingset and fuselage if it bolts up to the LF masts. Keeps costs down.

Mac Kites web site has some good charts of wing sizes and aspect ratios.

Working my way from the Impulse to the cloud9 x-22, to the thruster, and maybe one day the happy foil. Fun times!

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 11, 20 5:53 pm     Reply with quote

Stringy. Local and great r&d and cnc. He has done plenty of design way before most of the companies around here !

nosbocaj

Since 19 Jul 2014
28 Posts
Portland

PostTue Aug 11, 20 8:44 pm     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:
From what I understand, LF is getting out of kites, but not foils. They are still a big wake, and water sport company. I’ll miss the kites. I’m riding solos and just got a WOW, really like the WOW.

I like the LF foil stuff for the ability to bolt up different wings. The Impulse is a great wingset. So much easier to ride than the rocket. Especially for guys over 200 lb. it’s a Cloud 9 design.

The thruster will be a big step up in speed.

I pick up used wingsets and bolt them to my LF masts. If they don’t work out for me, I’ll put em back up for sale. Gives me time to dial a new setup in over a number of sessions. Seems like any little change involves a few hours of retraining my brain.

I try to stick with stuff that bolts right on to my LF fuselages, but I’ll go for a complete wingset and fuselage if it bolts up to the LF masts. Keeps costs down.

Mac Kites web site has some good charts of wing sizes and aspect ratios.

Working my way from the Impulse to the cloud9 x-22, to the thruster, and maybe one day the happy foil. Fun times!

Thanks for the feedback. I guess the getting out of kiting part would mean kites and not foils. Big misinterpretation on my part!

I'm 90% sold on the Impulse. It just seems like the best option for what I'm looking for.

I've been riding a 5'0" Rocket for a while now and it just feels like a boat these days. Is 4'2" going to be too big of a jump to get used to? I know the Galaxy comes in 4'8" as well, but that also doesn't seem like that much of a difference.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 11, 20 9:54 pm     Reply with quote

Certainly check out Stringy's foils. Awesome stuff there and local too.

As far as boards, consider stepping up from the LF to Kanaha Shapes. I went from the Galaxy to the Casi Macho 47" board and the improvement was night and day. Stiffer, stronger, lighter. The 47" is not a "pocket board" and still has volume. This really helps with keeping the board moving downwind after a crash if your setup sits on it's side rather than the wing sinking. If you are riding the Rocket board, you will have zero problems transitioning to the Casi Macho. https://www.kanahashapes.com/product-page/casi-macho-47

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 12, 20 7:39 am     Reply with quote

Justsmile wrote:
Stringy. Local and great r&d and cnc. He has done plenty of design way before most of the companies around here !

I cannot emphasize enough just how fun, and near perfect a Stringy setup is. I have owned LF, Moses, Wheeler Wing, more.... and now for over a year I've been in love with my large Stringy wing. Want quick low speed lift-off? Got it. Want speed? That too. Got both tight shredding pivot swell turns as well as gentle sweeping low wind glides.
It does everything... and being constructed of G10 you can pound it into boulders without severe damage.
Shop Local, Go Stringy

nosbocaj

Since 19 Jul 2014
28 Posts
Portland

PostWed Aug 12, 20 10:44 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everybody. I'm going to go with the LF Impulse for now and decide on a board later. Seems like there are a lot of great options, I might try to demo or rent some and see what fits best.

I checked out Jim Stringfellow's site and there's an announcement saying he's not making gear right now. I trust that his stuff is awesome. Definitely not giving this sport up anytime soon, so maybe I'll grab one of his wings down the road.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 12, 20 5:57 pm     Reply with quote

nosbocaj wrote:

I checked out Jim Stringfellow's site and there's an announcement saying he's not making gear right now.

If you ask nicely he will. Smile

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 12, 20 7:02 pm     Reply with quote

You are going to love the Impulse. Such a nice ride!

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 14, 20 6:07 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
nosbocaj wrote:

I checked out Jim Stringfellow's site and there's an announcement saying he's not making gear right now.

If you ask nicely he will. Smile

I stepped back from wing production to encourage buyers to help support kite manufacturers. to be honest I am focused on other foil related endeavors at the moment and making wings takes away from that focus.

I say if you're happy with the LF style foils then continue to use them. I know guys that are advanced level and still use the LF foils.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: