Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Dougs launch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostTue Jun 30, 20 9:57 am    Dougs launch Reply with quote

I checked out dougs new kite area this am. What is the recommended launch? When the water recedes is there beach upwind (Nw?) of the trees? Currently it looks underwater with no good options. The path looks great.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 30, 20 3:47 pm     Reply with quote

I went to Doug's today and was very disappointed. After all the work we did last fall the bushes and blackberries are back with a vengeance! There was lots of flotsam on the trail and beach from the high water over the winter. I figured the local kiters would keep the blackberry bushes back over the spring. So when the water recedes please bring lopers with you to maintain the bushes.

Right now there is no area to pump up because of the high water. On a positive note walking west out from the beach is very shallow and simple to drift launch. There is a line of Eurasion Milfoil 200 yards out parallel to the river. If we get enough foilers out there we can cut a trail through it.

Basically we need another work party out there when the water recedes and the locals do the upkeep. It requires a $35 Discover Pass.

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 30, 20 4:11 pm     Reply with quote

Wasn’t the park closed for awhile?

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 30, 20 4:20 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, I forgot , it is hard to maintain when it is closed! I think it opened May 27th. The biggest challenge is the wind is onshore to the beach, so the one tree and bushes on the south side need to be removed. That way the kiter can swim or wade out like we used to do at the hatchery.

TommyFliss

Since 30 Jul 2016
36 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Jul 15, 20 10:01 pm     Reply with quote

I put in 2.5 hours of work solo the week that Doug's re-opened. It was worse than it is now, but I'll admit that I've seen a fair bit grow back and haven't been back with the loppers yet. The wood debris wasn't there when I did the work. That came when the water level spiked. I'll likely get back out there in the next couple weeks.

Tommy

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 17, 20 4:26 pm     Reply with quote

I have been wanting to try this launch. Checked it out back in February. I’ll take Lopers when i go. With every visit, clip a little. We all will have to take this approach for awhile till the area is better

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: