Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wing Waist Leash - Wing and Board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Nov 06, 23 11:37 am    Wing Waist Leash - Wing and Board Reply with quote

What is everyone using for a waist leash that will serve to tether both the wing and the board. I am sick of my separate wrist leash and calf leash.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Nov 06, 23 1:38 pm     Reply with quote

So I already had a waist coil leash for my board, so now I just take the wing wrist leash and put the cuff around my waist leash in front.

Work well now but I will need longer wing leashes when I start working on those wicked behind-the-back tacks.

I see a lot of pro-joes going with the calf coil leash for the board and the long waist leach for the wing, but I don't want to hassle with switch the wing leash every time I switch wings and I don't want to buy 6 new wing waist leashes.

Thumb's Up

TommyK

Since 18 May 2015
47 Posts

PostTue Nov 07, 23 7:40 am     Reply with quote

https://bigwinds.com/products/pks-quick-connect-pigtail-with-stopper-ball-individual/

Works well and then I attach coiled calf leash around the strapping at the back of my NSI harness

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue Nov 07, 23 12:50 pm    This Reply with quote

I ended up getting this, I can just attach my existing leashes to it.

https://boardmeetingusa.com/products/copy-of-kaohi-black-belt%E2%84%A2-waist-belt-1

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 08, 23 7:44 pm     Reply with quote

hey pete, I've been winging with the NSI minimalist harness. I attach the wing leash to the front side, and use a reel leash on the backside. NSI has a pretty dialed in harness setup. they even have a contraption to secure the reel leash so it will never flop around. the harness also works much better than a waist leash for hooking in. by having a hook, it allows you to cruise upwind with minimal pull on your arms. the design of the minimalist harness disperses the load across your back so I would say it's as comfy as a kite harness, but not bulky. they make them right in Hood River. Disclaimer, I do alot of stuff with NSI, including helping them develop a better product.

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Nov 11, 23 9:02 am     Reply with quote

I don't anchor both my wing and board to my harness because it's a single point of failure. If my harness rips off I still want to be attached to something floaty.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostWed Nov 15, 23 8:15 pm     Reply with quote

I agree that two separate waist bands is better redundancy.

I use the Oceanus Reel leash for board but removed their bungee and put a ~10" long spectra line with loop on my board and then clip to that. The leash is under light tension and never gets in the way while riding. On a big day riding my 40L I somehow knelt on the clip and opened it so I started taping it shut when riding that board. That has never happened with the 50L board I ride. I do intend to rework the clip by cutting off the the external lever.

I use a separate Ozone waist leash for each wing. I tie a short piece of line as a back up to the plastic buckle because I have had one break. That line probably saved me from losing my wing because I didn't notice the broken buckle until back at the beach.

All the best,
Hein

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: