Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Advice/Help needed for "Emergency" Cancun trip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 28, 18 6:49 pm    Advice/Help needed for "Emergency" Cancun trip Reply with quote

Long story short:

Matriarch of a friend's family booked a deluxe, all inclusive resort in Cancun for family and significant others. She shattered her femur two days ago...

Money for resort will be refunded, and airfare can be too. But.....

Any ideas on making lemonade from lemons? If the group were to keep their air reservations in December into, and out of Cancun for 7 days, rent a car and drive to a resort/house/villa in Tulum, or ? Group of 5. 3 of whom are excellent kiters, one is an advanced beginner and the other may, or may not be interested in kiting. They are ACTIVE people, and the trip does NOT have to be all about kiting. Maybe even no kiting. They like nice, but it does not need to be expensive and fancy. In fact, better if it's not.

Any ideas? I am posting this up for the family in this situation, and will link them to this thread. Hoping for some constructive, fun, doable ideas. Justin Wiley--you reading this?

Eric

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Nov 28, 18 9:58 pm     Reply with quote

Lots and lots of places to go in and near Cancun.
Isla Holbox: http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-35589.html&highlight=holbox
El Cuyo: http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-40507.html
Cozumel, Tulum, Mayan Riviera, etc.

If you plan on staying on Hotel Row in Cancun and want to kite off your beach, pick a hotel on the North-South strip.

We stay at Golden Parnassus on Hotel row. All inclusive adults only. We just booked May for $250 a night for two. Golden Parnassus isn't fancy, but has decent food & friendly employees & great drinks. Not really a kiting destination, but I've managed at least a couple of days of riding every time I've been there. I launch & land right in front of the hotel. (I'm always the only kiter at the hotel.) That said, my days of riding would be cut about 70% without a 17m Turbine and a glide. Foiling would be very difficult at that location due to swim ropes and seaweed.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Nov 29, 18 5:55 am     Reply with quote

Isla Blanca is closer to your hotel Cancun than Holbox or El Cuyo. Both Holbox and El Cuyo are far enough away that you'll need an overnight. Isla Blanca is flat water and a day trip. It's just up the road from the Isla Mujeres ferry dock:
Call the number listed (Foka) and he will give you the forecast and how-to on Isla Blanca

http://kiteboardmexico.com/

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Nov 29, 18 9:03 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
Isla Blanca is closer to your hotel Cancun than Holbox or El Cuyo.

Thumb's Up How could I forget to mention Isla Blanca?

Isla Blanca video: http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-22194.html
Isla Blanca thread: (Some conditions on the way up have changed, the hotel I mention and the restaurant by the launch are closed now.) : http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-7662.html

BTW, the opening scene in the video of the dog chasing the kiteboarder probably clued everyone in, but if not--foiling not even not even a teeny tiny possibility here...

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Nov 29, 18 10:58 am    Re: Advice/Help needed for "Emergency" Cancun trip Reply with quote

eric wrote:
Long story short:

Matriarch of a friend's family booked a deluxe, all inclusive resort in Cancun for family and significant others. She shattered her femur two days ago...

Money for resort will be refunded, and airfare can be too. But.....

Any ideas on making lemonade from lemons? If the group were to keep their air reservations in December into, and out of Cancun for 7 days, rent a car and drive to a resort/house/villa in Tulum, or ? Group of 5. 3 of whom are excellent kiters, one is an advanced beginner and the other may, or may not be interested in kiting. They are ACTIVE people, and the trip does NOT have to be all about kiting. Maybe even no kiting. They like nice, but it does not need to be expensive and fancy. In fact, better if it's not.

Any ideas? I am posting this up for the family in this situation, and will link them to this thread. Hoping for some constructive, fun, doable ideas. Justin Wiley--you reading this?

Eric

Major bummer on the broken bone. How did she hurt her leg, if you don't mind me asking?

Is an "advanced beginner" an oxymoron? Like airline food or jumbo shrimp. Laughing

Been down there twice. Once there was maybe 17m wind. More recently it blew for like 6 days straight; 7-9m wind all the time. All it is is chop. And they have been having a seaweed explosion too. I stayed south of Cancun proper at a big all inclusive resort. I ended up not bringing my gear the second time. Some kid brought his and he had the entire beach and body of water all to himself.

For the most part the area is a light wind spot.

I enjoyed Tulum much more than the Cancun area. I'd go down there as there is many more activities to do.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Thu Nov 29, 18 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Nov 29, 18 11:41 am     Reply with quote

Tulum is nice. Small, quaint, private, good restaurants. We rented a house (May) on the far southern tip near the Sian Kaan Biosphere Reserve, a unique fun day excursion. Good ruins to explore as well. Big kites were needed but it blew everyday.

Cancun felt like a constant all inclusive time share presentation by Max Headroom. The locals still love that guy so that gives you an idea the spot is not quite in sync.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Nov 29, 18 5:17 pm     Reply with quote

Sella wrote:

Cancun felt like a constant all inclusive time share presentation by Max Headroom.

So TRUE. We've been going to Mexico for 35+ years and finally went to Cancun on our way to Havana. Annoyingly commercial come-ons everywhere. And Playa Del Carmen.... Don't bother. We expected idyllic and were shocked. There's even ATMs 2 per block with harsh signs GET $$ HERE! SPEND THERE!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: