Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

CGKA - Viento Launch Site Improvement June 27 10am

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jun 08, 18 8:46 am    CGKA - Viento Launch Site Improvement June 27 10am Reply with quote

VIENTO Beach Clean Up and Improvement – Help Needed!!!
June 27th 10am-2pm

Hello All, and thanks Pepi for helping get the word out.
This is going to be our big opportunity to get a lot of work done at Viento. The goal is to broaden and clear the beach area, and importantly, the upland area of the beach to create more rigging and setup areas for all the water users. The CGWA would like Viento to become the shining example of launch cooperation between windsurf, kite, and paddlesport users. If we show up in numbers, (and we should) we can really create a site that works for all of us. June 27th 10-2. The CGWA and CGKA should totally get the word out, let's blow Or St Parks away with what we can accomplish. Volunteers will need brush clearing gear, including eye, ear, and skin protection due to poison oak mixed in with blackberries. We have a few dead trees to get rid of to make space for better kite and sail rigging, and want to clear a new pathway down to the beach from the parking area for better visibility and security. If we show up with an army, we can get this done in four hours. The CGWA will provide grilled brats and ice tea, call or write if you have any questions. Cheers, Bart
P.S. Tecnu

Bart Vervloet
Executive Director
Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association
gorgewindsurfing.org

Bart (CGWA Exec Dir) will be the point man in charge of directing clean up flow, direction and follow through.

CGKA – Mike and Adam will coordinate kiter volunteer attendance and efforts.

TJ /Big Winds and Bob/Gorge Performance will coordinate with the SUP community to get a volunteer effort organized

Discussed goals : (these goal will likely change depending on how much actual volunteer strength is available, time contraints, and Bart’s thoughts during work day) *Bart and his crew have done a lot of aggressive beach clean ups, so he will be a good lead on this.

Westside :
- Re-Open the west side of the launch area where the original windsurf launch was located and has become overgrown with shrubbery (this will double the size of the launch/rig area and allow for kite rigging/launching on easterly winds)
Pathway from parking area:
- Widen the path to allow easier access for SUPers/Outriggers, Kites and windsurf rigs.
Shoreline :
- Remove all invasive brush/shrubbery along shoreline and attempt to smooth transition at waters edge (no water level mods due to tribal reason)
East border fenceline:
- Clear out all debris/shrubbery/small trees along the east fenceline to open up/widen the current rigging area.
East Pathway (SUP launch) :
- Widen, remove invasive brush and increase user space and safety for launching SUPS (and hopefully kites).

Mike D

Since 28 Apr 2011
195 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostFri Jun 15, 18 10:45 am    Let's do this! Reply with quote

I'm planning on heading out there on my lunch break, I hope we get some good kite representation. Anyone else planning on going?

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 19, 18 10:11 am     Reply with quote

I'll be there for lunch break too.

that_guy_stu

Since 22 Sep 2012
27 Posts

PostTue Jun 19, 18 1:26 pm     Reply with quote

Just got the new sensor repaired here as well. I can definitely see the potential for nice launching if some of the overgrown beach bushes were mowed down.

Missing solar panel caused the outage here. Unit ran for 10 days on battery then discharged. Panel got yanked clean from the mounting bracket. I'd almost claim it was an errant kite line but I have seen a similar failure at Rooster Rock so it will remain a mystery.

Viento gets some serious wind.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 26, 18 10:32 pm     Reply with quote

Bump
www.Purestokesports.com

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 28, 18 7:59 pm     Reply with quote

Just so everyone knows there was a mad turnout for the Viento cleanup. Thanks to all those that put some time in and got the work done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: