Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Small Kitefoil Board advice wanted
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1801 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 09, 18 6:42 am    Small Kitefoil Board advice wanted Reply with quote

I love my Alien Air, but the length of the board in my car is an issue. I have to do a Pythagorean Theorem dealio to load it into my car. It is a pain to fit it into my Subie Impreza. Have any of you moved to the the SHORT--3'6"--Dwarfcraft and found it significantly harder to ride? My skill level is intermediate. I can ride in any wind, any river swell, toe-side or heelside and switch feet OFF foil, and working to switch on foil. I ride with a single front hook. I prefer user friendly gear when foiling, as the sport is wacky enough as is.

If the short DC is basically as easy to ride it's going to make loading and unloading a lot nicer. That's honestly my only reason for considering a board change.

Thanks,
Eric

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 09, 18 8:33 am     Reply with quote

Eric,
My guess is that you and I are on about the same progression in this (but you got there 1'000 hours quicker than me)
I tested and purchased a 3' 6" (approximate) sized board from Stringy this past winter. It has very little volume... essentially a carbon & glass sheet of plywood.
I was immediately amazed at just how easy boards like these are to foil on. It seems that as long as it has just a bit of rocker you still will have the freedom to do you quick tap & splash footswitch. I cannot comment on a situation where you've lost your wind and need to schlogg home. That might suck.
Perfect for easy car loading, likely will fit in a Golf Bag? Call Stringy and ask if he'll put one together for you. Cheaper investment, great boards:

Last edited by wylieflyote on Mon Apr 09, 18 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Apr 09, 18 9:36 am    dwarfcraft Reply with quote

I learned and still ride on the larger dwarfcraft and I really like it. The Alien Air is just enormous. I'm sure it's good for learning and light wind starts but it's so bulky I can't imagine trying to wrestle that thing on the beach.

I'm also curious about the small dwarfcraft, especially if it is difficult to start in light winds when I prefer to foil. Seems like it would be hard, but maybe better foilers have advice on whether they've learned to make it work.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostTue Apr 10, 18 1:58 pm     Reply with quote

Eric,

I think you could ride to anything at this point. You are certainly at the skill level that you can dump the Alien Air. You have put in your time and are ready for a more progressive board.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1801 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue May 01, 18 5:14 am     Reply with quote

Demo'ed a 36 DwarfCarft and LOVE the board. So fun to pump, and turn on. Feels much more "alive" than the Alien, without being harder to ride. Waterstarts actually felt easier. I started to pump out of all turns and look for chop to pick up some speed as you know that touchdowns are not really an option anymore. Addictive! I feel like the board makes me a better, more active foiler, withhout having to "grow into" the board.

The downside is that touchdowns are harder, much harder than on the Alien.

So, I am getting a 36 DC knowing that this will mean 100% commitment to switching feet on foil. I am keeping my Alien in case--likely when--I get super frustrated and need to practice that skill on something easier, that allows the touchdown or bounce switch. I can't say if one board is easier than the other when trying on foil, as it's really hard for me on either, as in I am 0/200 on either.

Best part is it fits in my Impreza!

Yesterday in 5m wind and Gorge med swell with lots of steep chop the 36 DC was an absolute blast, but I did not even attempt to switch.

Eric

11907AB3-9402-4950-8112-A70918AD6BC3.jpeg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  11907AB3-9402-4950-8112-A70918AD6BC3.jpeg
 Filesize:  1.64 MB
 Downloaded:  440 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

Last edited by eric on Fri May 04, 18 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostTue May 01, 18 7:39 am     Reply with quote

the subwoofer Laughing

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostTue May 01, 18 8:37 am     Reply with quote

Eric, what wing are using? I purchased a 590 and 548 from moses, to try and make transitions easier. Are you still using the stock 545 from Slingshot?

I find that to be really tough to transition, or at least learning to transition.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1801 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue May 01, 18 9:09 am     Reply with quote

I currently use the lower aspect Lift/SS NF2 Carbon that came out in 2015/16. I also have the generation 1 GW with the 545 on a 101 mast that I rode for about a month, that I will go back to once I get on foil foot switches down.

My issue is more gross motor, vs the fine motor I need to get the balance point dialed to switch 2-3 ft up n the air without tipping the boat over. I know what to do, but am not very good at it.

But point taken, if I could I would mount a really slow wing and practice. The SS surf wing would be great for that, but I need to control costs so I can get there on the NF2

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 01, 18 5:27 pm     Reply with quote

Eric! Stoked about this DC small advice. Can't wait to try one soon.... or some other light & tiny comperable board. I was able to do a few very quick tap & go foot switches on Stringy's tiny boards. Maybe the DC has no rocker.
At Sherman Island this week in absolutely perfect fan conditions I was able to make maybe 30 air-switches on a row. But.... then I made a long string of failures. Sad

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1801 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue May 01, 18 8:06 pm     Reply with quote

You're 30 up on me!

Carmel

Since 26 Jun 2016
2 Posts

PostWed May 02, 18 7:07 am     Reply with quote

Get a no volume board from Kanaha Shapes on Maui. The DC 42 is a huge boat with all that unessesary volume.

IMG_2904.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_2904.JPG
 Filesize:  835.98 KB
 Downloaded:  448 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

IMG_2904.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_2904.JPG
 Filesize:  835.98 KB
 Downloaded:  506 Time(s)

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 04, 18 7:30 am     Reply with quote

Survey Please: I'm looking at both the Kanaha Shapes and DC tiny boards. Horati claims he has shaped his KS board where I can perform a very quick tap 'n go foot switch on occasion (not all air-switches). Can a quick touch-down per performed on the small DC?

My % of successes is improving.... but not perfect yet.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1801 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri May 04, 18 10:56 am     Reply with quote

I actually did a few touch downs yesterday. My buddy Doug on short DC after two days is pushing 50% on touch downs.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 05, 18 7:27 am     Reply with quote

little boards are pretty fun. less swing weight, easier to jump, just an overall lighter setup that allows you to pack in your car without disassembly. smaller pocket boards make you progress with your foot switches
keep in mind there are drawbacks, less board mean less flotation. if you're considering using your board as a life raft, it's not going to give you much flotation.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 05, 18 7:36 am     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
Less board mean less flotation. if you're considering using your board as a life raft, it's not going to give you much flotation.

As per your advice.... My plan is to keep my Doyle (59"?) and use a tiny board only in conditions where I'm more confident of steady winds. (i.e. Jones, La Ventana). Was really shocked at how fun the Cheri board was, and wish you'd make me another one. I was a fool to give it to my Mx friend so he could foil.

Carmel

Since 26 Jun 2016
2 Posts

PostSat May 05, 18 3:24 pm     Reply with quote

What Horati claims is true. I have his 36 inch board and had a DC 42 ,The KS is much easier to waterstart , gets right up to foil, much lighter and overall way better performance and fun than the 42 DC.After changing to the Kanaha shapes my riding improved quickly.No comparison.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1801 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun May 06, 18 7:24 pm     Reply with quote

Got 5 on foil today (5/50 but, hey, I'll take that)--loving that small DC!

Hope to get 10 next session

Fun challenge

Eric

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: