Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Trip report: Catamaran cruise in the Grenadines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Hulk

Since 17 Feb 2017
29 Posts
Portland, OR

PostThu Mar 22, 18 2:52 pm    Trip report: Catamaran cruise in the Grenadines Reply with quote

Returned two weeks ago from a catamaran kite cruise in the Grenadines with Kite Surfari (www.caribbeankitecruise.com). I picked them because they were the only ones I could find at the time of my research that would easily book a solo traveler, most of the others you had to charter the whole boat and I didn't have the energy to put a big crew together.

I'd highly recommend this sort of thing if you're looking for something other than Baja for the winter. No slight to Baja, but I got skunked for a week in Los Barriles last winter and wasn't keen on repeating that. For an all-inclusive, 10-day trip, using your own gear, it'll run about $2,000. They're also affiliated with North and you can rent North gear for something like 260 Euro for the trip. The food was amazing, as were the kite spots.

Airfare was actually incredibly reasonable, I got to St. Lucia from PDX for just over $700. I know what you're all thinking: bag fees. When I checked in for my flight to leave, they offered me a 1st class upgrade for about $240. Since their website (American Airlines) said it was going to cost $200 to check the kite bag, I sprang for the upgrade, which gave me a better seat for a red-eye flight, totally worth it. Cost $0 to check the bag on a first-class ticket, per their policy (62" and 70lbs for a first-class passenger). No one asked to open it, or even asked what was inside (though TSA did thorough inspections both ways).

On the way back, they were adamant about us using the self-check-in kiosks. No one asked what was in the bag, so I called it a standard golf bag (which it is) and checked it back to PDX for $25. No hassles with the ticket agent when I gave it to them.

Not the cheapest trip, but also not wildly expensive. I'll try to slay the fundraising for KB4C this year and win a Baja trip for next winter, but this cruise was a bucket list item that was worth every penny. If anyone's interested in rallying a full charter together some other winter, post here and we can look at getting something together.

Bring on the spring sessions!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Mar 22, 18 5:27 pm     Reply with quote

OK, we're going to need pictures and a description of kite spots and crew. Very Happy

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Mar 23, 18 7:28 am     Reply with quote

Hulk score. Very Happy

How many kiters can the boat accommodate? Good mix of surf and flat water riding options? Good schedule flex......so if you wanted to ride AM - PM anytime you had that option?

Jbruck

Since 17 Jun 2016
43 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostFri Mar 23, 18 9:36 am     Reply with quote

I'm interested in hearing about any kite trips/camps that people enjoy! I'm also typically a single kiter, so a big plus is a camp or catamaran situation with the opportunity to meet other kiters.

It seems super difficult to assess the quality of this sort of thing from their websites, so please post as many pics details as you can!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Mar 23, 18 3:04 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
OK, we're going to need pictures and a description of kite spots and crew. Very Happy

Frigate Island
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nM5maNKVqKhk4ZaD3
Mayreau (sp)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9Q3IOlwCKSpbnCAC2

A group of Puget Sound kiters went on this trip in 2016. I WISH it would have been 10 days instead of our 7 day. Also.... we never really found any great coral dives/snorkels IMHO
Mayreau was the high point of the trip.

Hulk

Since 17 Feb 2017
29 Posts
Portland, OR

PostMon Mar 26, 18 10:43 am     Reply with quote

Sella wrote:

How many kiters can the boat accommodate? Good mix of surf and flat water riding options? Good schedule flex......so if you wanted to ride AM - PM anytime you had that option?

It was a 46' boat, 4 cabins so they'll book 8 passengers. I shared with the other solo passenger on the trip, no issues. More flat-water spots than surf spots on my trip, but they'll tailor the itinerary to people's wishes, via a survey you fill out before departure. There weren't any wave kiters on our trip so I think that was a factor in our plans. Good flexibility of schedule, you could kite as much or as little as you wanted. They've got snorkel gear and a SUP onboard too, and if there are more non-kiters in the group they'll do island excursions.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Mar 26, 18 1:26 pm     Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the update. Thumb's Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: