Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Car Rental In Cancun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
MattWave

Since 05 Mar 2018
16 Posts

PostThu Mar 08, 18 8:06 am    Car Rental In Cancun Reply with quote

Going to El Cuyo in April, anyone have recommendations on best company to rent a car? 3 people with 2 Golf bags so probably need a small SUV or mini van

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Mar 08, 18 11:54 am     Reply with quote

I've never found a great local company like Cactus in Cabo. The biggy is to make your reservations in advance on the internet. Go with a big chain--unless somebody has thumbs up on a particular company--and make sure you get the insurance figured out before you go. Also, bear in mind even the Jeeps aren't 4WD when you rent. This is an issue because last time I was there you needed 4WD to make it to the North launch at Isla Blanca.

There was--last time I was there--a place to park where a guy watched your car about a 20 minute (?) hike from the launch. Bring LOTS of water. Walking back to your car thirsty in the Yucatan sun after a long session is NOT fun. My last walk, some Eurotrash asshole went through my bags and drank all of my water while I was riding. He explained he was thirsty, so he felt it was OK. Then he hopped on a jetski with his instructor and went back to Icarus for a cocktail. This tested my belief in non-violence very seriously. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

EDITED TO ADD: Oops, just noticed the El Cuyo destination. I just saw the Cancun part before.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Mar 09, 18 7:30 am    El Cuyo Reply with quote

I'll chime in.

We rented a car out of Cancun and went to El Cuyo. No need for 4wd, any car is ok. On the car rental - we tried unsuccessfully to avoid the separate insurance - the excuse was that we did not have a certified letter from the Insurance co - etc. They make all the money there and are not likely to give that up.

On El Cuyo - nice spot - not many people. Pretty easy drive from the Airport, only one nice restaurant but it is only open during the day. Buy your tequilla on the way - there is only beer and wine in town.

If the wind shuts off - there are the Chitzenitza pyramids not far away and a bunch of cool spanish colonial cities to experience. We went to Valldolid and Merida on that trip. Also to Isla Holbox, which was alot of fun - but more limited from a kiting perspecive, ie - you can't just launch anywhere there.

Have fun

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Mar 09, 18 1:26 pm     Reply with quote

If you were going in Cozumel I would suggest LessPay Auto. Old cars, good prices and reasonable insurance rates.

Since 08 Feb 2018
12 Posts

PostMon Mar 12, 18 5:23 am    Yes Reply with quote

I used YES car Rental in Cancun this past January. They charged me exactly what they quoted me on the phone, insurance, taxes, etc. They pick you up at the Airport with all bags, bring you to there office, 10 minutes of paper work and you've got a mid size sedan for 2 weeks, 700 bucks usd. Pretty much the going rate for all of Cancun, I checked around.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/yes-rent-a-car-canc%C3%BAn-2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: