Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kai Lenny kites the Yellowstone River

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostWed Nov 08, 17 10:54 pm    Kai Lenny kites the Yellowstone River Reply with quote

And you thought Gorge winds were fluky...

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/kai-lenny-flowrider-kiteboarding

craz z

Since 01 Dec 2008
130 Posts
Montana
Stoked

PostThu Nov 09, 17 6:25 am     Reply with quote

Shocked wow we kite that valley all the time on a lake.

There is not enough money in the world that would get me in that river. Tons of people have been killed in the Yellowstone river every year especially on spring run off the snags speed and undertow is pretty extreme!

saying its like being on a bowling ball with Vaseline on a tight rope is an understatement.

Way to charge it Kai!

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Nov 09, 17 10:16 am     Reply with quote

its Kai Lenny and he is awesome

but yawn - dont we kite everyday on a flowing river Laughing

the rapids looked mo legit the first trip with no wind - liked the powerline tangle thats cool

Julien Fillion hes on it 2010

https://vimeo.com/12634152

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Nov 09, 17 10:20 am     Reply with quote

That video reminded me of kiting the mouth of the Squamish River on a low tide. Weird seeing Kai in a helmet, he actually seemed human in this video.

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostThu Nov 09, 17 11:22 am     Reply with quote

Ha, yeah, I thought the same thing about the "kiting on a flowing river" statement as well. Like he says though, the Columbia is more like the ocean. Or a long lake in places, I'd say.

That Julien Fillion video is awesome. Definitely seems to be a better setup there, more open and probably better wind. He kills it though! Any idea where that is?

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Nov 09, 17 2:36 pm     Reply with quote

ezryder111 wrote:

That Julien Fillion video is awesome. Definitely seems to be a better setup there, more open and probably better wind. He kills it though! Any idea where that is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WULsZJxPfws

and yes the mighty Columbia does occasionally impersonate the ocean - helps if your name is Matt "metal hips!" Doces

Fat Tuesday.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Nov 09, 17 4:22 pm     Reply with quote

Come on down to the Necanicum river mouth on a big outgoing winter tide with overhead surge. There's no power lines, rocks, or vortexes to worry about, but giant logs keep it interesting! And if you drop your kite you'll be half way to Japan before you can pop your chicken loop. Thumb's Up

Hats off to Kai for leaving Hawaii to chase stuff like that!

kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Nov 09, 17 11:32 pm     Reply with quote

What's the point?

I get it it's beautiful but so many other ways to enjoy that beautiful river other than what feels like a contrived attempt to kite. How many people does he need to drag out there to kite around? I get it it's dangerous I've been in that river a bunch and there's certainly no reason to die making a soda commercial but it wasn't very innovative, challenging, nothing interesting about the natural history of the area etc. looks like the only place he ends up Kiting is a big wide flat section. also I'm pretty sure he didn't kite inside the park contrary to the accompanying story since there are jet skis allowed no Motorized boats on the river and the nps is hating hard on Kiting

Cynically yours...

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Nov 10, 17 12:14 am     Reply with quote

ezryder111 wrote:
Ha, yeah, I thought the same thing about the "kiting on a flowing river" statement as well. Like he says though, the Columbia is more like the ocean. Or a long lake in places, I'd say.

The description states it's the Lachine rapids on the St. Lawrence in Montreal. There are at least a couple surfable standing wave spots along the river there. I met a kite shop owner there this summer who told me about ridiculous urban downriver downwinders on crappy frontal wind, sketchy launches and self rescue exit points. Non merci.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSat Nov 11, 17 6:43 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah - it's fun seeing something new in kiting, unless it's not really new. Get yourself a ticket to Anchorage next summer and kite Turnagain Arm - it's both of these videos but better IMO. It's also every day kiting for the the Alaska Kiters.

www.freeridekiting.com

aksurfer

Since 30 Aug 2010
90 Posts
Anchorage, AK

PostSun Nov 12, 17 1:56 pm     Reply with quote

^
What Dan said except you'll be on your 5m, or smaller

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostMon Nov 13, 17 10:22 am     Reply with quote

Yo Gman any way to see more of those photos by Hallman of that day?
Looks fun.

Cush skinned boards
Soft shell outside - eps and basalt cloth inside
Memory foam rails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: