Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Non-kiters in La Ventana

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
its_kite:30

Since 29 May 2009
108 Posts
White Salmon/ Beaverton
Stoked

PostMon Nov 13, 17 9:48 am    Non-kiters in La Ventana Reply with quote

We are heading down to La V on Friday, and will have our non-kiting parents with us. I plan on taking my dad on a fishing trip when we first arrive and he should be fine with surf/ kayak fishing for 2 weeks, my mom on the other hand may get a bit bored. She is really into bird watching and art of all kinds, I have not seen much for bird watchers or local art scene. If anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate the info. Also the fishing we planned on going with Lalo he seems to be well liked, has anyone here fish with him?
Thanks

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 13, 17 10:02 am     Reply with quote

Prime fishing season is opposite the windy kite season.
You're going early - so the fishing might be ok.
LV is a desert - any type of bird watching etc. is best done by doing early morning walks.
As far as entertaining your mom - tell her to bring a good book(s).
Early morning walks up and down the beach are her best bet.
For art - take a day trip to Los Barriles on a no-wind day... lot's of shops and galleries.
For your dad - once the wind comes up around 11 you don't want to be on the water in a kayak.

gnac

Since 05 Sep 2014
66 Posts
Husum

PostMon Nov 13, 17 11:09 am     Reply with quote

I took my non-kiting wife down two winters ago. Wind started the day we got there and didn't let up for the two weeks I was there.

My wife hated it.

However, a little east of LV there is a nice little resort called Bahia de Los Sueños.

http://www.bahiasuenos.com/

The week we were there, it appeared basically abandonded, but they were opened for business. Waiter at the restaurant said it was a resort popular with [rich] Mexicans from other areas, but the Mexican season hadn't started yet, hence the lack of crowds.

There was a real nice beach that did not get the sandblast that all the beaches in LV did, even when the wind was up. Its a private resort, but they let us use the beach and snorkel on their reefs, no questions asked. We made it up to them by eating at their restaurant.

There was also a great reef for snorkeling (if the waves aren't to choppy) and a nice restaurant with running antique model trains and a game room (pool). The restaurant closed early (7 ish IIRC), but that was probably because it was their slow season.

Maybe mom won't play much pool, but getting out of the wind for a day or two was much appreciated by my family.

Other options (not mentioned in other posts) include heading to the west cost to see Todos Santos or heading down to see the Cabo Pulmo national park and seashore.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Nov 13, 17 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

Look up Palapas Ventana activities section as the guide to all things in LV that are not kitesurf specific. They will connect you to the bird watching, horse trips, fishing, snorkeling, diving, hunting, nature tours and walks, etc.etc...

its_kite:30

Since 29 May 2009
108 Posts
White Salmon/ Beaverton
Stoked

PostMon Nov 13, 17 2:00 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks guys! This really helps. I see a lot of activities they will be interested in. If your not a kiteboarder in Baja looks like there is plenty to keep someone busy.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Nov 13, 17 2:27 pm     Reply with quote

Yup - plenty to do really - A fair amount of people end up here with no transportation which makes doing things non wind related a bit tougher. An open mind opens possibilities.

www.freeridekiting.com

sleestack

Since 07 Dec 2006
181 Posts
Land of the Lost
Stoked

PostMon Nov 13, 17 5:17 pm    Re: Non-kiters in La Ventana Reply with quote

[quote="its_kite:30"] my mom on the other hand may get a bit bored. She is really into bird watching[/quote]

Bring the Dangler. I'm sure he wouldn't mind putting on a pair of wings while with your mom.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Nov 13, 17 11:39 pm    Day trips for the non kiters Reply with quote

Day trips for the non kiters:

El Triufono: https://www.google.com/maps/place/El+Triunfo,+Baja+California+Sur,+Mexico/@23.8041529,-110.1121772,16z/data=

La Paz waterfront:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/La+Paz,+Baja+California+Sur,+Mexico/@24.161715,-110.3183507,18z/data=

Todos Santos:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Todos+Santos,+Baja+California+Sur,+Mexico/@23.4559302,-110.2529001,4964m/data=

Los Barriles:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Los+Barriles,+Baja+California+Sur,+Mexico/@23.6812882,-109.7170484,2478m/data=

Also, be sure to sign up for the la ventana view as there are often activities and events taking place right in La Ventana. http://theventanaview.com/

Leave the book for the plane. Check out Mexico while you are down there... Fresh Fish at the fish market, hotdog and taco stands pop up at night, multiple restaurants right in town, thursday farmers market rocks!!! Sometimes it's hard to find the time to kite....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: