Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

wave action

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jan 22, 07 12:55 pm    wave action Reply with quote

some serious skill and consequences here by reo. his vertical lip smacks even make dan moore's huge horizontal carve look weak.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2gxPxp38CfI

so blowhard, is this how you guys ride the faces of your big monsters?

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostMon Jan 22, 07 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

So is this gonna motivate you to start using straps Gabe, for the big stuff? Great footage!

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jan 22, 07 5:29 pm     Reply with quote

yes, but i think straps have a role in smaller stuff also.

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostMon Jan 22, 07 6:17 pm     Reply with quote

That's true. I just thought you were a purist when it came to that sort of thing. I guess there's advantages to both, and both are fun. I finally tried unhooked wave riding, and it's a blast. Still working on not getting overpowered though...probably need to shorten the front lines some before going out. Will have to try strapless surfboard riding next summer. Oh, and my last wave sessions at La Ribera in Baja I was jibing my mutant on every tac. Should be an easy transition to a surfboard now. Can't wait for Waddell to start cranking in March Smile. Just another month and a half...

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jan 24, 07 10:06 am     Reply with quote

what are the waves like in La Ribera? reef break?

La Riberia sounds pretty cool - snorkel/scuba right there for the no-wind days.

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostWed Jan 24, 07 2:53 pm     Reply with quote

La Ribera is pretty fun. Unfortunately, you want strange wind direction (NW instead of NE) for best side-onshore winds. The usualy NE direction causes fairly onshore winds. Not directly onshore, but more than ideal. The waves were fun/crazy. They're all wind swell so the more wind the bigger the waves, and they also come at you non-stop with less of a breakdown by sets as we're used to. Near the beach they're tiny 1-2ft, 50-100 yards out they get bigger (3-5ft), and further past that is where the first breaking occurs, and in 30mph+ winds the waves out that far were ranging head high to 1.5 OH+. The chop/waves were crazy, especially closer to shore coming in at different angles, but we all had a blast. It was really cool to pick the size waves you wanna ride depending on the skill. You didn't have to ride the big swell further out if you didn't want to, but it was definitely where the cleanest ramps were. They were also quite friendly for their size, not crashing hard like beach break, but crumbling from the top to about 2/3 of the way down the wave. Real smooth and nice. Also, there's almost no one there usually and the beach is miles long, pretty sweet all around. Not sure if I'd call it a reef break since I didn't see any reef where we were riding, but there might've been one further up the beach. I went down in a few OH waves and came out OK, nice to not have coral right under you. And, like you said awesome snorkleing and scuba diving are less than 45 min away.

Hope this helps. I haven't kited the west coast of Baja yet, but hear that that's where the best waves are. Might check it out this spring.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostThu Jan 25, 07 8:54 am     Reply with quote

there were some good turns , made me want my oregon coast north wind and big faces back.

Blowhard could have had some turns on those waves for sure. Oregon coast has the quality goods , world class , no doubt. Most just don't see the love with the cold water Rolling Eyes which really isn't that cold unless it under 45 degrees on the sand .

come on north winds... hav'nt been into the south this year Sad

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostSat Jan 27, 07 8:40 am    You don't need waves for fun Reply with quote

I could care less what kind of turns someone else gets someplace else .
But if You,
GABE would like to show us some of your fancy shizzle we would be glad to let you into the line-up .
But as I recall the last time I saw you on a kite (around 2001)you had no board and were boosting on the beach (Whiskey Run ) hard sand with your young pal.
He limped home with a knee injury.
I asked if you care to try a board your reply was " not into going in the water" so I guess perhaps that has changed.
So you can watch videos all you want ,or Come to the jetty and show us what has happened in the last few years .
To YOU,,
or just hop around on the beach Rolling Eyes

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jan 27, 07 1:31 pm     Reply with quote

relax mr blowhard. if you like wave riding, i don't see how you can't appreciate watching what other people are doing. i thought that video was a good illustration of two different styles, one slower and more vertical, and one faster, more powered, and doing banked carves.

anyways, seemed to me there was more real information in that video clip than months of forum posts.

also, you have confused me with another person.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostSat Jan 27, 07 3:00 pm    duude Reply with quote

for sure, it probably was somebody else ,
if you want to compare what you see on u tube,
to the way I ride ,
first you must see how I ride ,
and it's not like that Laughing

that looks way more awesome than anything I would ever do Embarassed

oh I ment to say I'm not THAT interested in wind blown shore-breaks
(after spending 5yrs in them Embarassed )

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostSat Jan 27, 07 7:56 pm     Reply with quote

Down John boy

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostSat Jan 27, 07 8:29 pm     Reply with quote

Shay, check your pm and give me a call if you can. Let's go send it

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostSun Jan 28, 07 7:34 am    so right Reply with quote

as The whining Cowboy,
Neil Young says"pick out my name pass it around"

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jan 28, 07 6:05 pm     Reply with quote

more Reo - he makes it look pretty fun hooked.

http://www.naish.tv/reo_800.html

I can't wait to get some!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: