Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Should I get sup lessons?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Procktor

Since 11 Apr 2013
46 Posts
Hood River

PostSun Apr 14, 13 9:35 am    Should I get sup lessons? Reply with quote

Considering purchasing some stand up paddle lessons from "bulae". I believe it's $150 for a lesson. Should I go ahead and enroll or not?
''If Al Qaeda comes in here and blows you up, we're not going to do anything about it. We're going to say, look, every other place in America is off limits to you, except San Francisco. You want to blow up the Coit Tower? Go ahead.'''

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
881 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSun Apr 14, 13 11:19 am     Reply with quote

Not necessary, if you have spent any time sweeping the kitchen floor, then you are beyond the beginner stage.

Razz Razz Razz

NARDS

Since 07 Sep 2008
63 Posts
Sunset Beach

PostSun Apr 14, 13 12:11 pm    SUP Reply with quote

If you have to ask if you need a SUP lesson, then you NEED a lesson! Thumb's Up It can be dangerous.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ridethewave

Since 01 Oct 2012
48 Posts

PostSun Apr 14, 13 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah seriously, save your cash and put it towards a carbon paddle or some neon Wayfarers with contrasting neon floating strap, or maybe some Zinca Razz

If you're worried about technique, go down to the Event Site and watch what they do for a few minutes. It's pretty straight forward, they just stand up and paddle. Laughing

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Apr 16, 13 7:58 am     Reply with quote

I took a sup lesson in Hawaii a few years back. It was waste of money for me . The guy was hung over and fell off his board at least 6 times. It was kind of funny at time. Once I got on the board I never fell. SUP is one activity were watching the video will to the trick for a board experienced person. I have 30+ years of windsurfing and have surfed in the past. If you are not comfortable with SUP, a lesson will not hurt. If you are paying that kind of money be sure the instructor is certified. Taking a good lesson will help you get the proper paddling technique down. There is a right way and weak way to paddle. Very Happy

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Apr 16, 13 8:01 am     Reply with quote

Anthony wrote:
I took a sup lesson in Hawaii a few years back. It was waste of money for me . The guy was hung over and fell off his board at least 6 times. It was kind of funny at time. Once I got on the board I never fell. SUP is one activity were watching the video will to the trick for a board experienced person. I have 30+ years of windsurfing and have surfed in the past. If you are not comfortable with SUP, a lesson will not hurt. If you are paying that kind of money be sure the instructor is certified. Taking a good lesson will help you get the proper paddling technique down. There is a right way and weak way to paddle. Very Happy

Anthony pretty much sums it up. You don't need a SUP lesson. But it won't hurt. But you would probably be better off spending your cash on a better paddle.

Watch a video. Learn which way the paddle face should go. Then to start - go somewhere flat, preferably with no current. Start off on your belly and paddle away from the edge (like a surf board). Then slowly work your way to standing.

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Apr 17, 13 4:22 am     Reply with quote

SUP lessons are only worth it if you want to demo boards/paddles that you otherwise wouldn't be able to. A good size to start off with is 11'x31.5" imo. Once you size down from there it is related to weight and skill level. There are plenty of online instructional SUP videos.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostWed Apr 17, 13 8:52 am     Reply with quote

SUP lessons would be a good idea if you want to race.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: