Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

North Shore Video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
DrewB

Since 16 Aug 2006
381 Posts
PDX
Obsessed

PostTue Feb 26, 13 5:10 pm    North Shore Video Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO7eTZdAHlw

There is a cool comentary about kite-surfing as an extension of surfing.

Likey Thumb's Up

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostTue Feb 26, 13 7:25 pm     Reply with quote

Awesome video about two of the most closely related sister sports ever created. The commetary about how one compliments the other and visa-versa is very true. Surf when it is good surfing conditions and kitesurf when it is windy with waves. One will for sure help the other.

The one thing no one mentioned in the video which surprised me was about the huge advantage that kitesurfing gives the rider in terms of wave count. Even the best pro surfers can't even come close the the ridiculous wave count that an average and competent kitesurfer can achieve on a day of kitesurfing a surf spot. Especially the conditions found at the open beachbreaks on the Oregon coast where long and ultra brutal paddle-outs are the norm for surfers. A kitesurfer's ability to easily motor out thru closed-out, hard-breaking beach peaks and whip into another wave is soooo much easier than paddling out through that kind of stuff on a traditional surfboard. The kitsurfer to surfer ratio for wave count can approach 10:1 and that is an advantage that can't be denied.

I am stoked that I have been an avid surfer for over 40 years, but I am super stoked that I discovered kitesurfing at the change of the millenium. Can't imagine living on the Oregon Coast and just being a surfer anymore!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostTue Feb 26, 13 8:00 pm     Reply with quote

Nice vid.

Reo touched on something else that I think is a definite + over surfing; the ability to get out of the crowd. Surfing can get pretty competative & aggresive at times - Especially when it's pumping. It's nice to get away from that - And, kitesurfers are better at sharing waves in my experience.

Still, It's hard to beat a good surf in nice & glassy smooth OH waves ..

DrewB

Since 16 Aug 2006
381 Posts
PDX
Obsessed

PostWed Feb 27, 13 1:38 pm     Reply with quote

Windian wrote:
Surf when it is good surfing conditions and kitesurf when it is windy with waves.
Exclamation

That is what got me interested.
I was on a Baja surf trip and hadn't surfed good waves in about two weeks when these guys showed up, pumped up and got at it.
After watching them ride fun little blown out waves for a few hours I decided not to retun to Baja until I had some kite skills.

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostWed Feb 27, 13 5:46 pm     Reply with quote

Kite+surfboard+Oregon coast=Ridiculous never ending fun. The wave mileage you get in a session is just not right.

Vladiator

Since 06 Jun 2009
252 Posts
Napels FL
Obsessed

PostThu Feb 28, 13 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

i love north shore !!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: