Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Liquid force cpr bar tuning?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wallydog

Since 30 May 2012
223 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Nov 25, 12 9:08 am    Liquid force cpr bar tuning? Reply with quote

I have a new 2012 12m LF envy with the cpr bar. I have flown it for a few days now and it flys a little unpredictable at times. Granted I am new to the sport but a friend flew it and said it was a little weird flying. We just checked the line length of a fixxed point on the back gate and the front lines are longer than the back lines so when you pull the bar full power the outside lines are tight but the center lines have quite a sag. I am down in Las Barilles and the many commentators from the Geezer Shack say my kite looks pinched in at the ends. Nobody has any LF envys down here to compare to. Should the stopper ball be moved up on the depower lines so all lines are tight at maximum pull point on the bar? This would be about a 4 inch change in shortening the depower line and I don't want to do this without some advise from someone who knows the LF cpr bar. Thank you.

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostSun Nov 25, 12 10:27 am     Reply with quote

I taught on liquid force kites all summer here in the gorge. All lines need to be equal length, you wont be able to adjust your center lines, all adjustments are made using the outside lines, bring em in to one of the knots closer to the bar. Another way to help is use the "light wind" setting on your attachment pigtail of your kite. -M

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSun Nov 25, 12 4:34 pm     Reply with quote

SolFlyer is correct. All 4 lines need to be equal. If your center lines are that much longer they have either stretched out or someone shortened your outside lines. Make sure your outside lines are at their long knot setting on the bar. I think there is a knot under the float. Once you know your outside lines are at their longest point your only other option is the shorten your center lines until they all are the same length. As a last resort, you can trim the kite with your de-power to get you through your vacation. The kite flies best with a slightly shorter back line but only like 2 inches max.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostSun Nov 25, 12 4:43 pm     Reply with quote

or, just add 4" extensions/pigtails onto the back lines.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSun Nov 25, 12 4:46 pm     Reply with quote

jeremy wrote:
or, just add 4" extensions/pigtails onto the back lines.

Yea, that will work too. Coming up with extensions in Los Borilles might be a challenges though.

wallydog

Since 30 May 2012
223 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Nov 25, 12 5:11 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. The bar and kite were brand new so the kite has less than 10 days on it now and should be a factory set up. I will check under the floats but I think the best easy option is the 4" extensions. I know a guy down here that does all the kite repair (Big Jim) and he may be my source for those or Ian at Exotikite (great shop here). I will let you know if I get it figured out.

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Nov 25, 12 6:45 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="blancoh2o" The kite flies best with a slightly shorter back line but only like 2 inches max.[/quote]

Could you explain this a bit? Are you talking about that specific kite, or all kites in general? Just curious, because in regards to kites in general, I've heard that when the four lines are equal (bar sheeted fully in with correctly trimmed lines) that is when the kite will generate the most power, and perform optimally, provided there is a enough wind. Taking 2 inches off the back lines will only cause the kite to be "over-sheeted" when fully sheeting in the bar, causing a decrease in performance, and potentially causing the kite to back-stall. But that's just what I've heard for kites in general. I don't know its different for this model of kite?

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSun Nov 25, 12 7:07 pm     Reply with quote

The Envy has a light wind setting. The back lines are shortened by about 2 inches in the light wind setting. Anymore than that and the kite will pinch.

wallydog

Since 30 May 2012
223 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Nov 26, 12 10:25 am     Reply with quote

no wind today so I checked all that I can do with my bar. Outside lines are set at the longest position already at the end knot on the bar. I did have to stretch one inside line to make them equal length to eliminate that variable. I have to pull in the depower line about 4 inches get all lines are equal. So I think I really need 2 inch extensions because the depower line goes around a pulley to tighten the inside lines. The kite attachment points are opposite of what is suggested as my lightwind setting is closer to the kite than the standard setting. The outside lines will need to go on the end knot to be the longest. I tried to contact liquid force support but nobody home there yet. Hot and glassy here today with wind maybe tomorrow.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostMon Nov 26, 12 10:35 am     Reply with quote

That is correct, the lightwind setup is for shorter back lines (closer to the kite)

I usually ride the 12m in pretty light wind and find it very stable and predictable in the light wind setting. When I feel overpowered I just pull in a little depower and if that is not enough I reset the back lines to the normal (loner) setting.

I hope that helps.

tekko

Since 20 Feb 2006
376 Posts
White Salmon
Liquid Force

PostMon Nov 26, 12 11:57 am     Reply with quote

Wallydog. Sent you a PM. Read through the tips I sent and hit me up on my email and we'll get you setup!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: