Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Jones Beach Etiquette
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kerpella

Since 01 Aug 2014
58 Posts

PostSun Aug 03, 14 8:51 am    Jones Beach Etiquette Reply with quote

Just a friendly reminder to everyone joining the world of kiting that trainer kites should probably be flown up on the beach instead of down by the water. Jones Beach is full of where new people go to learn, including myself, and it makes it difficult to navigate around the trainer kite on the beach and the trainer kite along side him, but by the water. I have good enough kite control, but the next person may not have and its just out of courtesy, plus I'm sure people would feel terrible about the family by the trainer kite along the water getting hurt.

Also, if you see someone trying to land their kite just standing on the beach for a long period of time, lets try to help one another out, eh? Pretty sure a wet kiter on the beach with a board isnt just standing there or trying the land their kite for fun. Normally wouldn't have posted, but yesterday's kite etiquette was kinda disgraceful.

Thanks guys! Cool

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSun Aug 03, 14 9:16 am    Re: Jones Beach Etiquette Reply with quote

Kerpella wrote:
Just a friendly reminder to everyone joining the world of kiting that trainer kites should probably be flown up on the beach instead of down by the water. Jones Beach is full of where new people go to learn, including myself, and it makes it difficult to navigate around the trainer kite on the beach and the trainer kite along side him, but by the water. I have good enough kite control, but the next person may not have and its just out of courtesy, plus I'm sure people would feel terrible about the family by the trainer kite along the water getting hurt.

Also, if you see someone trying to land their kite just standing on the beach for a long period of time, lets try to help one another out, eh? Pretty sure a wet kiter on the beach with a board isnt just standing there or trying the land their kite for fun. Normally wouldn't have posted, but yesterday's kite etiquette was kinda disgraceful.

Thanks guys! Cool

Thanks for the update. Interesting to hear what is going on at Jones. Awe the user rights issues--same song, different year... What if the trainer kite person by the water was a fisherman? You would've had to kite around him and give him a respectful birth, right?

I hope you went up to the trainer kite guy and told him your reasoning? Not everyone is aware and if he was there 1st or 2nd (regardless) he still had the right to use the area.

As for the kiter expecting a landing or launching of a kite, that is a skill set that should be eventually learned, but in a crowded launch no need to subject one's self or others to potential harm/injury.

But it's the responsibility of the kiter to use hand signals to get others attention for a landing, or launching for that matter. Disgraceful etiquette? Summer and plates from all around. It helps to pick the right person to land/launch. You should try not to bug the individual rigging or person just about to leave unless that is one's only option.

I noticed some crowding issues and wave lineup issues sailing at the beach/coast last week.

Kerpella

Since 01 Aug 2014
58 Posts

PostSun Aug 03, 14 9:36 am     Reply with quote

No, I didnt approach the trainer kite guy along the shore with his family because I was trying to land my kite. As I said, I'm new as well, I've been learning since June, but the kite I happened to be flying was my brand new 2014 I just got, only been out with it a good 5 times.. really not trying to thrash it around trying to figure out how to land it. Although I did get it to stop and I tried walking up my lines, but it relaunched and there I stood screwed. People standing around everywhere along Jones, just watching, standing by their kites that were landed or rolling up their lines. I wouldn't bug anyone trying to rig, put away or anything like that, regardless of how many times I myself have stopped doing that myself to help someone else obviously needing it. But basically, I guess I don't understand why there is such a rebuttal on suggesting on how we can keep everyone safe... both on trainer kites and actually flying real ones.

That is all.. Wink

jackZ

Since 13 Apr 2008
355 Posts
Devon Alberta ca.
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 03, 14 9:57 am     Reply with quote

Kerpella wrote:
No, I didnt approach the trainer kite guy along the shore with his family because I was trying to land my kite. As I said, I'm new as well, I've been learning since June, but the kite I happened to be flying was my brand new 2014 I just got, only been out with it a good 5 times.. really not trying to thrash it around trying to figure out how to land it. Although I did get it to stop and I tried walking up my lines, but it relaunched and there I stood screwed. People standing around everywhere along Jones, just watching, standing by their kites that were landed or rolling up their lines. I wouldn't bug anyone trying to rig, put away or anything like that, regardless of how many times I myself have stopped doing that myself to help someone else obviously needing it. But basically, I guess I don't understand why there is such a rebuttal on suggesting on how we can keep everyone safe... both on trainer kites and actually flying real ones.

That is all.. Wink

Ok so if there were all those people around ...........
Why did you not sign to land ? I wonder ? A new Kite and a beginner ! Just ask man you will get the help you need . Did you do lessons , you would know to signal , it's much safer for people and your expensive gear !
Not being a dork man but these questions immediately came to mind . The Kite crowd is Kool and will help ! As do lessons but you need to do what your taught .
Safety is not a bother it protects us all and keeps kite spots kite spots !
JackZ

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 03, 14 10:43 am     Reply with quote

Kerpella

Since 01 Aug 2014
58 Posts

PostSun Aug 03, 14 11:24 am     Reply with quote

I guess its something you just had to be there to see what im talking about guys! Wink

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 03, 14 3:03 pm     Reply with quote

Kerpella

Sorry, but did you wave your hand, get someones attention, and tap your helmet, over and over?

Lots if beginners will stand there with a kite high in the air not needing help. One must wave their arm and tap helmet. Over and over if needed

I've been all over, many locations, locations even with very unfriendly kite people, NO ONE has ever NOT helped land a kite.

Also, I personally believe the kite that is about to launch or is at the shoreline has the "right away" or priority over someone coming in to land. My reasoning is such. The highest risk, the most dangerous time when kiting is launching a kite, or when you're at the shoreline with a kite. NOTE as a general rule, out in the water, If one is out in the water kiting, then one could assume that the person has the skills to maneuver around others, they have the ability to go back out and make another kite landing try.

I would agree with you about the trainer kite. BUT, about 98% of these are with people NOT familiar or experienced with kiting. I was not there, but the beach is large, just go around, there is so, so, so much room there. After landing away from them YOU need to take the responsibility to talk with them. Find out their thoughts and your suggestions / concerns.

Always have a smile and speak up at the moment

Very Happy

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Beaverton / Seaside / Govy
Stoked

PostSun Aug 03, 14 4:19 pm    Re: Jones Beach Etiquette Reply with quote

Kerpella wrote:
Normally wouldn't have posted, but yesterday's kite etiquette was kinda disgraceful.

I wasn't there yesterday, but I've been there quite a few times, and I've never witnessed "disgraceful" etiquette. Like the other posters seem to be suggesting, I suspect that other kiters just didn't know your intentions.

Try to make your intentions clear on the beach, and you'll probably find there's less need to bring these things up on the forums.

Kerpella

Since 01 Aug 2014
58 Posts

PostMon Aug 04, 14 7:00 am     Reply with quote

Hey wind, thank you for your suggestions! But yea, as I was saying it was an odd scenario that you just had to be there for to witness to know my situation. I kite with people that have been at it for years and they thought the scenario was odd as well. Seriously, Seriously Not trying to sound cocky, but I have great kite control and there was no getting past these guys. I was up from the dude on the shore and pinned by the guy on the beach, both of whom where thrashing around their kites trying to learn. I'm not upset that they're learning, obviously I just did and everyone's been there.. Jones is a place we go roughly 3-4 times a week and I agree with the last dude, I've never seen it "disgraceful" either. But like I said, just something you had to be there for. I know everyone is protective about new people and not getting kiteboarding banned at different places, so they see a new person posting concerns about safety and think that that new person was the problem. Look, I understand, but that is why I didn't move and stood there... By saying I didn't talk to the trainer kite guy along the river, doesn't mean I wasn't trying to get somebody's attention. Again, as also mentioned, the person I was with, kiting for years, also thought it was weird.

Not trying to be a downer, but I'm realizing that not only am I getting started, but others are as well and I'm just mentioning I don't want to be the one, or have another cause accidents and have potential for everyone else to loose kiting rights at those spots. I understand that as I have been told over and over by my friends so that is just the reason for the post.

Hope everyone understands and isn't upset that there was rare occasion at Jones, specific to my one experience there, not the other times at Jones, that I didn't care to see happen again. And that's all gentlemen! Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate the suggestions! Smile

TonyROD

Since 30 Apr 2014
22 Posts

PostMon Aug 04, 14 8:05 am     Reply with quote

First things first - welcome to kiteboarding...

"All Negative feedback does not apply...!"

I was at Jones Yesterday.

It was Sick....!
Yeah - wind might have been a lil shitty in the inside but that's what you get when you have a little north in it...

Though I'm not even close to Pro status - I aint no newbie.

If your a beginner - get your self awwwwwway from other kiters...
That's common sense...!
Especially if you don't feel comfortable being around other kites.

If your trying to land or launch - God gave you hands and arms - Use em...!
No one is going to say no...!
If you don't know how to use em - its time for another lesson.

Nothing or no one is gonna be perfect. Your always gonna have those moment's you don't like. If you don't have control of it - than let it go. Don't stop, think and wonder...and complain about it later.

Everyone is out there to have a killer time.

Cheers

Kerpella

Since 01 Aug 2014
58 Posts

PostMon Aug 04, 14 8:16 am     Reply with quote

Hence why I stood there and waited. Not sure if you read that part so I thought I'd mention it again! Im confident and capable in my kite control tho, just didnt like being stuck between people thrashing as I'm sure anyone else wouldnt. Maybe re-read what I have wrote up top? You seem friendly, would love to pick your brain sometime! I appreciate the input! Don't think I really have anything much left to say guys as I'm not trying to cause drama, rather keep everyone new, not-close-to-pro, and pro safe! Hope that's reasonable. Catch ya later!

Cheers! Smile

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 04, 14 9:20 am     Reply with quote

Everyone should know how to self land and launch.
You don't have to be dependent on other people to land your kite.
Take the time to learn - preferably on a large sandy beach like the Oregon coast or HR sandbar when there's few people around.
Find a mentor to show you and practice till you feel safe.

there are situations when it's not advisable to land your own kite (lots of non-kiters on the beach, gusty overpowered conditions, objective hazards like fences, trees, babies).
In this situation - do everything you can to get help from a kiter (tapping your head, yelling "hey can you catch my kite!).
don't be shy - ask for help.

Kerpella

Since 01 Aug 2014
58 Posts

PostMon Aug 04, 14 9:40 am     Reply with quote

Hey, thank you! That was helpful. I'll practice self launching and landing, just... not on my 2014.. which I was on.. haha! Whoops! But thank you very much, gunna try the coast next weekend so ill work on it! Very Happy

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon Aug 04, 14 11:30 am     Reply with quote

My non-value added comment: some nice looking Cabrinha kites (especially the siren models) have much sharper lines and stronger leading edges than any trainer kite. Last resort option when all else fails (hand signals, ...): go for the intimidation tactic !

Twisted Evil

My potentially value-added comment: watch this video (always good to know this technique)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_LoSoQgmHc
A great explanation on how to self-land your kite safely on the edge of the wind window (nice for a nice Siren model) using a landing rope and/or your own leash. It works well in windy conditions like Jones. There are several logs on the beach you can use for that. I used this technique at Jones when nobody was around but I guess it could also work in your case provided that you can find a log / anchor point that is not in the way of other kites/people. You could also use one of the cars on the beach as anchor point Smile Make sure to use the cars from the guys who don't care to land you though Smile
Another very smart idea (and complementary to the video above which forces you to detach your safety leash before unhooking) that I learned from Stephanie & Chad who kite at Jones too, is to have a second leash with you on your harness. Use that second leash to attach to any anchor / anywhere you need to land.

Final comment. If you have not tried the QR1 function of your Cabrinha yet, you should in a controlled environment (like in the water at Jones) and see what happens. The Cabrinha QR system is supposed to flag the kite nicely and in a controlled manner. If you hit when flying the kite somewhat high on the edge of the window, there is a high probability that the kite will actually land fairly softly on the ground (with no damage as long as you don't have sticks on the ground) after inverting in mid-air. Once the kite is on the ground, walk up to the kite holding one of the center lines (DO NOT LET GO of the center line until you have a firm grip of the leading edge) like you would on a self-rescue (minus the wrapping of the lines which is not necessary since you are on the ground). Once you are done you can make other hand gestures to those who did not care to land you! For more info on the Cabrinha system, check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pivd3ZNFEk

Last edited by sromano1995 on Mon Aug 04, 14 12:38 pm; edited 5 times in total

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostMon Aug 04, 14 11:31 am     Reply with quote

About a month ago I witnessed what Kerpella was talking about at Jones.

A friend of mine was coming in and tapping his head - no one would land him. I waited a bit, there were people standing on the beach, nothing. I came in and landed him with my kite still in the air. He was like, WTF? I had no explanation.

The following week I saw a similar thing happen - people standing on the beach, a guy trying to get a land, tapping his head, no one came to help, Kochease (who looked like he was giving a lesson) ended up stopping what he was doing and landed the guy.

This is new at Jones.

After watching this happen Kerpella's experience does not surprise me.

Kerpella, if I see you out at Jones I'll give you a launch and land, I'll be the guy rockin a gojo and assless chaps for a harness.

sleestack

Since 07 Dec 2006
181 Posts
Land of the Lost
Stoked

PostMon Aug 04, 14 1:07 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="Moto"]

Kerpella, if I see you out at Jones I'll give you a launch and land, I'll be the guy rockin a gojo and assless chaps for a harness.[/quote]

A forgot to mention your ankle weights. Razz

Kerpella

Since 01 Aug 2014
58 Posts

PostMon Aug 04, 14 1:10 pm     Reply with quote

Laughing Thanks Serge and mystery gojo assless chaps man! I appreciate the laughs and the great support!!! You all are good people. Hopefully we all get to kite together soon and all have a blast!!! Maybe we can kick this trend of clueless kooks in the rear before it becomes a thing. See you all out there!! Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: