Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wetsuit for spring/fall/coast?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
inferno493

Since 16 Apr 2015
26 Posts

PostSat Apr 10, 21 11:04 pm    Wetsuit for spring/fall/coast? Reply with quote

I am looking for something in the full, hooded variety. I have some old suits for the summer but I haven't bought one in 20 years (and I didn't really know anything back then either) and there is an overwhelming number of considerations regarding brand, materials, features, etc...

I was thinking a 5/4 or 4/3 glued and blind-stitched suit, but beyond that I'm not familiar with the benefits of various zipper types, linings and myriad other items that are available.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSat Apr 10, 21 11:13 pm     Reply with quote

Josh, the owner at Cleanline is an OG kiter. He can help you out with his vast selection of suits. You want a 5/4 hooded wetsuit w/front zip at the chest. Many good brands out there and many posts about this. One very recent. O'Neil, Patagonia, ripcurl...

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostSat Apr 10, 21 11:27 pm    This one... Reply with quote

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-49646.html&sid=ef2351f2b487155125a794948069430b

Mc

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostSun Apr 11, 21 6:21 am     Reply with quote

Pretty much any suit in the 4-5mm thickness range will have glued and blindstitched sealed seams. Whether you want/need the liquid sealed seams is debatable. They do add some extra degree of durability and sealing but will also begin to crack and peel off as the suit ages and aren't generally repairable.
If you do a lot of regular surfing and are duck diving under the waves, then a chest zip suit with a built in hood will reduce the flushing at the neck considerably, but they are generally a bit harder to get in and out of. Older folks that may be out of shape and not as flexible generally have an easier time with the back zip suits, and there are lots of options to add separate hoods or hooded vests.
Whether you need a fancy lining in the suit is also debatable. They do add a bit of extra warmth, wicking, and comfort to the suit, but you can always wear a fuzzy plush rashguard with any suit to accomplish the same thing. And it is easier to throw the rashguard in the washing machine when they get stinky rather than having to hand wash the entire suit as often.
Whatever suit you get, it should be substantially more flexible and comfortable than a suit from 20 years ago. But don't expect it to last you for 20 years like the old one. The downside of the increased flexibility in the neoprene is generally less durability and a shorter life span. The super flexible high end suits may only last you 2-3 seasons (depending on your usage) and you shouldn't really expect more than 4-5 seasons (100 days of use) from the mid range suits before they will at least need some repairs and possible panel replacements.
Just like with kiteboards, kites, etc there are now just a few overseas factories that make most of the wetsuits for most of the brands so the quality is generally the same (very good). But every brand has their own set of patterns and material spec's and design features (as well as size offerings) so it is always best to try on a bunch of suits until you find the one that fits your body the best.

inferno493

Since 16 Apr 2015
26 Posts

PostSun Apr 11, 21 7:25 am     Reply with quote

Thanks everyone,

My old suit never saw much action which is why it is still around. Thanks for all of the info and will look back through more of the old posts as well!

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostMon Apr 12, 21 1:11 pm     Reply with quote

For the PNW coast most of the expensive suits are great. I have a 5.5/4mm Oneill hooded/front zip. It works great, gives you peace of mind.

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostMon Apr 12, 21 5:04 pm     Reply with quote

I don't recommend those 'buttery' super stretchy suits for kiting. In my experience, the spray around the ankles pushes water up my leg until the suit inverts at the ankles and traps a ton of water in the suit.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Apr 13, 21 8:11 am     Reply with quote

JeffT wrote:
I don't recommend those 'buttery' super stretchy suits for kiting. In my experience, the spray around the ankles pushes water up my leg until the suit inverts at the ankles and traps a ton of water in the suit.

Elephant leg syndrome is an easy fix with a small pull and drain of the leg end. It happens on all suits. Booties take care or this. . .

I kite in the ocean mainly here in Oregon and wear booties most of the time.

I've also seen people use duct tape and or I've seen velcro straps used to address this issue. I've done neither method, but I think I like the idea of having 1'' wide velcro straps. If I ever went this route, I probably would sew them on at the seam of the leg at the leg opening.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Tue Apr 13, 21 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Apr 13, 21 8:44 am     Reply with quote

Or you heat up a nail and punch a small hole just above where the folds happens as a drain hole. Works great.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 13, 21 4:20 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="Sasquatch"]
JeffT wrote:

Elephant leg syndrome is an easy fix with a small pull and drain of the leg end. It happens on all suits. Booties take care or this. . .

It's common to still happen with booties on.
It also does not happen on suits with build in vents like NP Surf.

I put a few holes with a heated thin nail in my suits without vents.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Apr 14, 21 8:39 am     Reply with quote

[quote="Slappysan"]
Sasquatch wrote:
JeffT wrote:

It's common to still happen with booties on.

Sure if one places the end of their wetsuit leg over their booties. Put the booties on over the wetsuit and one is golden. Never an issue with me.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 14, 21 10:05 am    Booty Out Reply with quote

Sasquatch,

Never pegged you as a BOOTY OUT guy - lol

Shake 'it if you got it... Thumb's Up

Mc

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Apr 15, 21 6:10 pm     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
Josh, the owner at Cleanline is an OG kiter. He can help you out with his vast selection of suits. You want a 5/4 hooded wetsuit w/front zip at the chest. Many good brands out there and many posts about this. One very recent. O'Neil, Patagonia, ripcurl...

inferno493 wrote:
. . .
I was thinking a 5/4 . . . Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Listen to Wind Slither preach the truth. . . about what wetsuit you need

minute :49 to 1:01 (Josh from Cleanline at minute 1:00)

But best to watch the entire thing as it a work of creative kiteboard art. Yes, oldie but a goodie.

http://vimeo.com/2653992

Phivothri Love.png 

inferno493

Since 16 Apr 2015
26 Posts

PostThu Apr 15, 21 7:33 pm     Reply with quote

That was awesome. Kite surfing looks phenomenal! How can you go wrong with rhyming advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: